Upgrading Gazell 380+ to Nyon, looking for solution feeding wires with plugs through small hole on the headset tube

alx

Region
USA
Hi Everyone, I am attempting to upgrade both the lights (from stock to Lupine SL) and the display (from Purion to Nyon 2) on my Gazelle Ultimate C380+ Speed.
Problem(s): it seems the cables' hole on the headset tube is too small to pull the connectors through as is. There are two cables (display and the front light) and the rear brake line run through the hole now (see pics). Three in all. Has anyone done this and can please clue me in? So far what comes to mind is to remove the brake line (to make room), then pull out the light plug (smaller), and lastly the display plug (larger). After that try feeding cables/plugs back as follows: the display plug first, then the light plug, and lastly the brake line. How did you do it? Thank you!

PS: on the pic inside the downtube, left to right: (1) brake line, (2) display cable with connector wrapped in black el. tape, and (3) light cable.

IMG_20221019_174657.jpg
IMG_20221019_174617.jpg

your going to need things updated too why not have the shop do it? the light may not work without the right update or the nyon.

True, fooferdoggie, both will need Bosch activation. If I will not find the solution to my problem, I will re-assemble and ride to REI mechanics.

True, fooferdoggie, both will need Bosch activation. If I will not find the solution to my problem, I will re-assemble and ride to REI mechanics.
when the Kiox first came out as a upgrader i got my bulls in to upgrade. they had to tear the whole front of the bike apart and the battery holder as it was so tight. took almost 2 hours.

Yes, fooferdoggie, the cranks, DU covers, chainring, battery enclosure with lock are all out. Good thing this is not my only bike.

I am upgrading so I could monitor the battery charge and to be seen in the winter. Last season I had to cut out a small window in my left pogie to see the Purion display. So, Nyon being located in the center, aside from other benefits, is the main reason. The stock light is okay but for winter roads Lupine is better, I think.

Here is an answer I got from a bike shop (thank you Ray!):

"Hi Al,
There are two ways to do it. You can remove the brake lines then insert the connector cable, then redo the brake lines which will require you to bleed the brakes. You can also cut the connector off, cut the current wire to your purion leaving enough cable to solder and shrink tube the individual wires and to make sure the solder and shrink tube section is pushed down inside the frame.
Neither one is a quick project."

Search continues.

Thank you all who helped me.

How I routed display (Nyon) and light (Lupine SL F) cables through the right access hole on the Gazelle (Ultimate C380+ Speed) frame:

Once there is an access to motor and the downtube space under the battery enclosure:
  • 1. Cut off the Purion 4-wire cable's connector and pull both ends out.
  • 2. Pull out the old 2-wire light cable with connector attached through the access hole (without the Purion's cable there is now enough room).
  • 3. Lubricate and push in through the hole the Nyon's connector with cable uncut (tight fit).
  • 4. Lubricate and push in through the hole the 2-wire light cable (in my case without connector, which is later attached using provided connector pigtail and crimp connectors)

Mistakes that I've made:
  • 1. It is only necessary to remove the left DU cover (2 torque screws). I removed both cranks (hat to get an ISIS-compatible extractor $10), the chainring, and the chain guard. In the process damaged the dust cup washers (metal and rubber) on one side. Had to replace them - $10
  • 2. When pushing through the hole the Nyon connector use something soft (i.e. a chopstick) to prevent damage. I used a screwdriver and nicked the yellow wire insulation (~2mm). Fixed it with Gorilla gel glue and black el. tape.

Had to Bosch-activate Lupine light (REI $28). Nyon is working as is.

You can often make threading the new cable easier by taping an end to the old cable, then using the old cable as a "pull"...
same idea works for shifter and brake cables in getting them through the frame.

Hi SwiftySanders, that was a shrewd move indeed (put in a Nyon by default). I am only getting acquainted with Nyon and I like it's online detailed reports. Is there any advice (i.e., custom screens, etc.) for a Nyon novice? What Nyon's feature(s) do you use/like the most?

I want my watts and my heart rate and average I use the speedometer display so I can see my speed and cadence and how it is close to my average.

You can add new screens, customize existing and delete existing. It's actually easy and rather fun to do, to experiment.
Personally, my favorite screen shows HR, elevation, distance climbed, personal power output (can't do motor power anyway, just the ratio of personal to motor). Speed and battery show on all screens.

Thank you, fooferdoggie. Is it standard for speedometer to display watts and cadence or needs customizing (how)? Also, the light button on Nyon doesn't do anything. What is it suppose to do?

retiredNH, thanks! Is there an online tutorial for customizing screens?
I am impressed with Nyon: it is useful and easy to operate. Most computers of the old (i.e., Pilot by Shimano) were nothing like it. I'd just ignore them.

here is my screen you can have regular readings or these speedometers that show where you are at with your averages. I wish they had that for the HR but they don't.
you will need to go to a dealer to get the light setting activated. then the button will work. it takes some getting used to to get the screens setup there are a lot of choices. single and double line choices. I had nop clue how to geti t to show 2 batteries till someone pointed it out. some options are only avalible in some slots.
IMG_0990.jpg

Thank you, fooferdoggie, for helpful video and the pic of your customized speed display. My light (Lupine SL) _is_ Bosch-activated. It has its own control button on the handlebar. The front (low beam) and rear lights turn on automatically when I power on the Nyon. However, one short press on the handlebar button switches the beam (low/high); a long press shuts the front light off. The rear light stays on for as long as the Nyon is on. I thought maybe the Nyon's light button would function is some way, but it is probably overridden by Lupine.

Thank you, fooferdoggie, for helpful video and the pic of your customized speed display. My light (Lupine SL) _is_ Bosch-activated. It has its own control button on the handlebar. The front (low beam) and rear lights turn on automatically when I power on the Nyon. However, one short press on the handlebar button switches the beam (low/high); a long press shuts the front light off. The rear light stays on for as long as the Nyon is on. I thought maybe the Nyon's light button would function is some way, but it is probably overridden by Lupine.
no it should just turn it on and off with the bike powering on and keep the settings. that what I found in a few lights. I leave my lights on always no matter what.

Thank you, fooferdoggie. Do you ride in traffic much and if so what safety measures/equipment, in addition to leaving your lights on always, do you use/recommend?

Back