Upgrading from Bosch Purion to Intuvia Controller

I have a Trek Verve+ (Bosch Active Line Wh, 250 watt, 40Nm motor, Bosch Purion controller) and am interested in upgrading the controller from a Bosch Purion to a Bosch Intuvia.

Bosch sells a "Bosch Intuvia Retrofit Kit".

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/service/accessories-retrofitting/

Does anybody have any experience doing this? Is it necessary to open the motor? How complicated is it?

Thanks for any insight.

The Intuvia Controller I have on my Treks came with the bikes so I cannot offer any info on upgrading
your existing Purion controller.

My only 'advice' aka opinion is.... unless you know 100% and have in writing from
Bosch that replacing your Purion Controller is Plug and Play and if you do the work will that
will void your 2 year warrantee. ... I would not do it. I'd locate an authorized dealer for your specific
bike and have them do the upgrade. It's a cheap price to pay to protect your expensive investment.

The odds are there's software in the controller that may need updating ( maybe not ) but I'm almost certain there's
a startup / setup firmware that the dealer has access to in order for the bike to be setup and function correctly. This
just my gut feeling...Good luck.

John from CT

John from Connecticut makes a very good point about warranty. Putting that aside, I went ahead and did the upgrade. The only difficulty was feeding the cable thru the frame of the bike. The Intuvia controller worked immediately once connected to the motor. No issues.

Going back to MLB's question. The advantages of the Intuvia, in my opinion, are: more information displayed at the same time, central location of the display, splitting of the display and controls (allows for optimal position of the controls), display of real-time motor 'assist' level, more buttons (makes it easier to switch displayed information), and creates a "platform" to upgrade to Nyon and Cobi.

Thanks

I switched from Intuvia to the Purion on my emtb. It definitely takes the focus off the controls/settings. I don't look at it at all anymore. I like it better riding singletrack but I could see wanting the intuvia for a road/greenway bike.

Checking to see if you have changed out your Purisn display with the Intuvia. I also just bought a Verve+ as well as the Intuvia retrofit kit. I have contracted Bosch to have them verify that the Intuvia is compatible with my Active Line drive (although their webpage certainly implies that it is). Haven’t heard back from them yet but will probably do the conversion myself soon. I did find a YouTube video (in German) that shows someone replacing an Intuvia display with a Puritan display and it looked pretty simple - only took 8 minutes. It does require opening the drive. Let me know if you have done this yet and whether you had any problems or challenges.

Another option is seeing how much the trek service department would charge to change it.
Also, what is your current opinion of your new bike?

I really like the Verve+. It is relatively light for an ebike (45 pounds) has many great features and the Active Line drive is perfect for my needs. My only negative is the Puritan display and I would like to swap that out for the Nyon, which seems like a much better system. To do that I will first need to remove the Puritan and install the Intuvia mount. My local trek service department has no experience doing this and hasn’t even received Bosch’s confirmation that the Intuvia is compatible with the Active Line Drive (which based on all my research it is).

John from Connecticut makes a very good point about warranty. Putting that aside, I went ahead and did the upgrade. The only difficulty was feeding the cable thru the frame of the bike. The Intuvia controller worked immediately once connected to the motor. No issues.

Going back to MLB's question. The advantages of the Intuvia, in my opinion, are: more information displayed at the same time, central location of the display, splitting of the display and controls (allows for optimal position of the controls), display of real-time motor 'assist' level, more buttons (makes it easier to switch displayed information), and creates a "platform" to upgrade to Nyon and Cobi.

Thanks

My sentiments exactly. I much prefer an Intuvia interface over the Purion for similar reasons mentioned. Purion seems a bit flaky with sticky buttons and as mentioned cannot be removed. The Nyon retrofit is also a big plus IMO. A big fan of that interface vs the COBI.

Back