UPDATED - Tero 4.0 fitting bigger tires

Surrey Tero

Region
United Kingdom
Hi, new to ebikes and to this forum.

I am was very lucky and picked up a 2022 Tero 4.0 in December.

Loving the bike and who would have thought climbing could be fun!

Has anyone fitted bigger tires?

From what I can see all the UK Tero bikes come with 29 x 2.35 Ground Control tires. Looking at frame and forks there is some room for increasing the tire size.

Thinking 2.5 or 2.6 but it could be tight.

So I’m hoping someone else has swapped tires and knows what will fit.

Thanks in advance.

Tero is a very new thing, and most of people who bought it have ridden their Tero only a little because of the cold season. I'm afraid you need to take a plunge as one of the first. Besides, are the 2.25" tyres really too narrow for you? Pretty a typical size as for an XC bike!

Tero is a very new thing, and most of people who bought it have ridden their Tero only a little because of the cold season. I'm afraid you need to take a plunge as one of the first. Besides, are the 2.25" tyres really too narrow for you? Pretty a typical size as for an XC bike!

I’m pretty pleased with the standard 29 x 2.35 as pretty grippy. But I think fatter tires would give a slightly plusher ride.

When I bought my bike it was either an ebike of full suss as couldn’t afford it to be both. Annoyingly, 1 week after picking up I sold my carbon road bike for good money and could have bought a Levo or Rail 🤣.

I don’t do the tricky stuff anymore as I’m in my early 50’s and found I no longer bounce like I used to, so the Tero is good for what I do. I also need to get used to riding a 24+kg hardtail ebike as totally different to anything I have ridden since starting out on mountain bikes in 1991.

Other option could be to convert bike into a mullet and stick a 27.5 on rear 🤔. No rush as bike totally rideable. And as you say, bike to new to have been modified yet.

I’m pretty pleased with the standard 29 x 2.35 as pretty grippy. But I think fatter tires would give a slightly plusher ride.

When I bought my bike it was either an ebike of full suss as couldn’t afford it to be both. Annoyingly, 1 week after picking up I sold my carbon road bike for good money and could have bought a Levo or Rail 🤣.

I don’t do the tricky stuff anymore as I’m in my early 50’s and found I no longer bounce like I used to, so the Tero is good for what I do. I also need to get used to riding a 24+kg hardtail ebike as totally different to anything I have ridden since starting out on mountain bikes in 1991.

Other option could be to convert bike into a mullet and stick a 27.5 on rear 🤔. No rush as bike totally rideable. And as you say, bike to new to have been modified yet.

I'm not so sure a wider tire will provide you any more cushioned ride. My stock Vado SL tires just ride on the smooth, middle section of the tire. And the knobby part of the tire is used when I bank or turn the bike. So, if my tire was wider, there wouldn't be any change to the ride. Increased width will help when riding in loose dirt or sand though - for sure. Since you're looking for a plusher ride - I'd recommend reducing the air pressure a bit or purchasing a shock absorbing seat post.

I'm not so sure a wider tire will provide you any more cushioned ride. My stock Vado SL tires just ride on the smooth, middle section of the tire. And the knobby part of the tire is used when I bank or turn the bike. So, if my tire was wider, there wouldn't be any change to the ride. Increased width will help when riding in loose dirt or sand though - for sure. Since you're looking for a plusher ride - I'd recommend reducing the air pressure a bit or purchasing a shock absorbing seat post.

I converted to tubeless the day I bought it and tried 30psi, then 25psi and finally 20psi.

20psi was nice but I felt the rim a few times so have taken back up to 25psi.

I‘m just shy of 13 stone.

Thought a slightly bigger tire would allow me to ride less pressure.

I think I just need to get used to riding a bike that weighs around 2+ times what my previous hardtail did.

It is my experience that a wider rim has as much effect on running lower psi as does a wider tire. When I switched to an i35 rim I was able to lower my PSI significantly using the same 2.3 tire. Putting a wider tire on a narrower rim can have adverse effects in regards to tire roll while cornering. Caveat is that a new wheelset is expensive, certainly more so than a set of tires.

Finally got around to buying and fitting new bigger tires. Decided on 2.6 tires, Butcher for front and Purgatory for the rear. These fitted with around 7 to 8 mm clearance at the closest points. According to email I had from Spez there should be a minimum of 5mm so I’m am happy with the fit.

Will report back when I’ve been out for a ride.

So finally the storms blew them selves out and I was able to get out in the Surrey Hills on the fatter better tires and I’m not disappointed 👍🏻

Trails were pretty horrid but the better fatter tires gripped and steered much better than the supplied Ground Control 2.35 items. The extra volume allowed me to run 22psi rear and 20psi front, they are setup tubeless and I weigh just under 13 stone. I don’t do anything other than small jumps and I’m quite a smooth rider. The extra air also improves comfort.

So in short, the 2.6 Purgatory (rear) and Butcher (front) are a good upgrade in my opinion.

Back