Update for Turbo?

Guitar dave

I have the basic 2015 Turbo. It is assisted to about 26.5 or so mph. Is there any official update available to get me to the promised 28 mph the dealer told me I was buying?

Yes and no... maybe your dealer slightly misled you thinking that it was the same as the older Turbo S (a dealer told me the same). To my knowledge Specialized has never advertised the base Turbo as being 28mph. I don't think a class action to find the missing 1.5mph would be a great money-spinner...
It is possible for anyone with the diagnostic software to 'unlock' the top speed but I wouldn't advise it for the following reasons:
  • You get no more power
  • The max power of the SBC-M02 motor will get you to about the speed of the cutoff anyway
  • Sure you could go slightly faster downhill or with the wind, but....
  • There is an effect in that motor that offers resistance when you get to about 29mph, quite noticeable downhill. Actually the SBC-M01 motor (old S and newer X) does much the same.
  • If the motor cut-out has been activated (or you manually turn it off) you don't suffer that resistance, so quite probably you will go faster downhill or with the wind with the speed cut-off as shipped.
Hope that helps put your mind at ease. I'm just an owner, in no way affiliated with SBC or a dealer.

If your dealer told you that, he probably spoke out of knowledge (or he tried to convince you to buy the bike with false promises). As @bazzapage stated, you won't get more power if your bike is already unlocked beyond the European limitation. 26.5 is not bad though. Why do you need more? if so, you will need a more powerful motor (> 250W), so consider yourself buying a Turbo S or the newer Vado 4.0 bikes.

Some time ago, I went to the GoSwissDrive web page. Their data indicated that the 200W motor had a 42 kmh (26.2 mph) cutoff, whereas the 250W and 500W motors has a 45 kmh cutoff. It is possible to nudge 45 kmh (28 mph) by playing with wheel diameter in the diagnostics, but to no great benefit. You can set wheel diameter to the minimum of 2000 mm yourself if you have the upgraded bluetooth battery by using Mission Control. This fools the system into thinking you are going slower than you really are.

Back