Ultra bikes pas

The deep mud on the local roads is nearly dried or frozen or both; so I'm going out for a ride today. Will report if I have anything to report.

The Juggernaut FS Ultra with standard torque settings performed well today. That is, it felt like a very heavy MTB, and I felt like Superman riding it. I mostly rode using PAS level 3 (or less), which is set at 40% assistance. On a variety of roads, mostly dirt and sometimes very steep, the bike averaged about 16 Wh/mile.

The stock setting for throttle is 9, and I think that corresponds to whatever your current mode PAS level 9 is. That could be 100%. If you like doing wheelies, this setting is for you. If you don't or don't like being dumped off the back of the bike, consider a much lower setting for the throttle. I use 2. For me the throttle is mostly for getting started up steeper hills. The Jugg is heavy, and it is geared with the motor in mind. So, no actual low gears like on an acoustic MTB.

Side note: some shady sections of road were covered with ice, and the ice had some meltwater on it. I was pleased that the bike tracked without problems. I hate dropping it. The wheels are mid-fat, 27.5' X 3.0", with an effective rolling circumference of 2.264m.

Played with some of the settings on my Luna Apollo (2000 watt max, 52 volt) today. Unfortunately, the weather was such that I couldn't take a long enough ride to be sure I like them better.

I find the stock Apollo to be too heavy on the power assist. Even on PAS 1, I was finding that unless I wanted to go really fast I wasn't getting enough of a workout. I read the ES thread and the web articles, hoping to find a way to adjust torque settings per PAS. Alas, that's not possible. From the original Bafang programming article:
SPD0 - SPD100: These columns represent the % of the highest RPM ability of the motor that it is currently spinning. Do not think that it has ANYTHING to do with the speed that the wheel is turning because it just doesn’t.

That sucks. It means that I can't have different pedal-torque maps for different PAS levels. One only gets a single pedal torque to controller current map, and that varies by crank speed!

My first thought is - why? I would have assumed that i want a simple torque to current multiplier regardless of how quickly I'm turning the cranks. The harder I push the more power I want, no matter what the crank speed. Why don't I want this? The only thing I can think of is that if I'm in too high a gear and pushing really hard on the pedal I don't want the motor to kick in at 100% because that'll ruin the drive train. So, what am I missing here?

Anyway, what I did was change the "Limit Current" settings on the Basic page to be lower for Assist Levels 0-5. The Apollo only has 5 PAS levels (plus a 0 level that is off except for throttle), so I'm guessing it skips every other level? The speculation above thread on Eco/Sport seems wrong as then Eco would never hit 100% and I know that I've seen a power output of 2000 on my display and have never left Eco (don't even think it's changeable on my bike).

Thoughts on crank speed / torque settings would be appreciated. I may try setting them all the same to see what happens....

Why cant Anyone Figure this out and simplify it Clearly ? What the F ?.it shouldn't be so Dam Difficult to make a simple video and get it Over and Done , Holy Crap you all make it seem lt's some Top Secret Code that must be kept secret ?
Why Cant Anyone make a Dam Simple YouTube video that Clearly shows how without all this Fourm Crap ! KISS = keep it simple Stupid !!!

Why cant Anyone Figure this out and simplify it Clearly ? What the F ?.it shouldn't be so Dam Difficult to make a simple video and get it Over and Done , Holy Crap you all make it seem lt's some Top Secret Code that must be kept secret ?
Why Cant Anyone make a Dam Simple YouTube video that Clearly shows how without all this Fourm Crap ! KISS = keep it simple Stupid !!!
Please don't be so irritable, Harleyman. We are flying blind, since the meaning of many of the crucial Bafang parameters is guesswork. Riders differ and so do the various bikes this motor is mounted on.

I personally stick to adjusting the PAS percentages, and, by the way, I have gone from using zero through nine levels to five, which offers zero and the odd numbered levels. The reason is that it is too slow going through small changes when you need more assistance right now. That said, almost all the time I use PAS level three, which is set at 30% of max, whatever that is. At that level I get an average of 16Wh/mile for hilly, mixed gravel and paved roads, and the bike feels like a bike, and I feel like a bicyclist.

Also, updating an earlier post, I've increased the throttle assist quite a bit. I use it only for getting started on steep uphills. Early on, I had reduced it to very little. Using the throttle while cruising decreases efficiency a lot.

Played with some of the settings on my Luna Apollo (2000 watt max, 52 volt) today. Unfortunately, the weather was such that I couldn't take a long enough ride to be sure I like them better.

I find the stock Apollo to be too heavy on the power assist. Even on PAS 1, I was finding that unless I wanted to go really fast I wasn't getting enough of a workout. I read the ES thread and the web articles, hoping to find a way to adjust torque settings per PAS. Alas, that's not possible. From the original Bafang programming article:

That sucks. It means that I can't have different pedal-torque maps for different PAS levels. One only gets a single pedal torque to controller current map, and that varies by crank speed!

My first thought is - why? I would have assumed that i want a simple torque to current multiplier regardless of how quickly I'm turning the cranks. The harder I push the more power I want, no matter what the crank speed. Why don't I want this? The only thing I can think of is that if I'm in too high a gear and pushing really hard on the pedal I don't want the motor to kick in at 100% because that'll ruin the drive train. So, what am I missing here?

Anyway, what I did was change the "Limit Current" settings on the Basic page to be lower for Assist Levels 0-5. The Apollo only has 5 PAS levels (plus a 0 level that is off except for throttle), so I'm guessing it skips every other level? The speculation above thread on Eco/Sport seems wrong as then Eco would never hit 100% and I know that I've seen a power output of 2000 on my display and have never left Eco (don't even think it's changeable on my bike).

Thoughts on crank speed / torque settings would be appreciated. I may try setting them all the same to see what happens....
Actually, each PAS level setting is a percent of max amperage, which for my bike's motor is 30A. Looking at the trip graphs provided by the Eggrider app, it seems that programmed amperage at the current PAS level is switched rapidly on and then down to a lower value according to the torque sensing input. That's what it looks like on the graphs. That also may explain why the wattage and efficiency values displayed jump around rapidly. They are not running averages over several seconds. They are instantaneous values sampled once per short interval. This is the annoying thing about the Eggrider display.

Last edited:
Back