Ultimate 380+ Belt Tension, is this too much slack?

newts

Region
USA
I had a clunk in the drive after I was coasting to make a turn and then started pedaling again when turning. I didn't see anything wrong when I stopped and noticed the tension is a little more slack than I remember it was. I bought this about 10 days ago and I have about 200 miles on it now. is it too much slack and should I adjust it? I can google but it looks like loosening the 2 screws on each side and pulling the wheel back a smidge?
Video:

Looks loose to me, tighten it a bit. I have belt tension meter and use it to adjust the level, but Gates has phone app for this purpose too - pretty strange honestly, but it might be not working well on my phone, so give it a try.

Looks a tad loose to me, too. Mine had the same level of play when I purchased my bike, and I told the shop to tighten the belt. They did, and it has been problem free.

Diving into the youtube I see that yes, it is probably too loose. Also how to adjust it (looks easy). And there is even a smartphone app from Gates to check proper tension.

I tightened a bit to where I remember it was when I got it. I tried the Gates tension app but I couldn't get good readings from it. It seems like the signal is too low.

Point the bottom of your phone, where the microphone lives, at the belt just six inches away and pluck at it. It is a little less than a dependable way to measure the tension. The best way to get reproduceable, accurate readings is the Gates 91107 Krikit tensioning tool.
Could be available locally where you live at O'Reilly Auto Parts or

Point the bottom of your phone, where the microphone lives, at the belt just six inches away and pluck at it. It is a little less than a dependable way to measure the tension. The best way to get reproduceable, accurate readings is the Gates 91107 Krikit tensioning tool.
Could be available locally where you live at O'Reilly Auto Parts or

Yeh I had the mic as close as I could get it as I saw on the videos.
Is it worth getting a tool or just getting a feel for it and/or the +- 1 CM measurement?

I will probably get it anyway, I never turn down and opportunity for a new tool I just question the need for a qualitative measurement for this.

At $130 or more, these belts are not inexpensive but they will outlast three or more chains when properly tensioned. Personally I think for, $25, it is well worth taking the guess work out of it.

I think I remember a guy who somewhere recommended loosening the belt tension a bit to protect the bearings in the motor and hub. Of course, not so much that the belt could slip out of the teeth or otherwise be damaged.
Is it completely misunderstood or?

I had to tighten my belt after approx. 150 miles as well. I used the Gates phone app and it worked well. You definitely have to have a quiet space with no other noise interference or you will get a false reading. I do like the fact that if you do three readings with the Gates app you can take an average of the results. The Krikit tool is great also and is quick and easy to use and probably more accurate.

Anyone know if those set screws can be removed, or substituted with long screws?

I find the shifting effort is dramatically reduced with the belt a little looser, and haven't noticed any downsides. A shop actually recommended setting these up like a single speed chain with some slack.
Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 16.45.22.png

Back