Turn signals

john8

Region
USA
Good evening all, I would like to outfit my bike with hard wired turn signals. I have no wish to deal with another set of batteries, hence hard wired. Any suggestions on a kit. To date I've found Velorian out of Germany.

It is unusual for a bike to have the turn signals.

You mentioned Germany. Germany (as the most of other European countries) allows so-called S-Pedelecs, which are similar to the U.S. Class 3 e-bikes but are type approved, subject to registration and third party insurance. S-Pedelecs are equipped with numerous safety features including the stop indicator. S-Pedelecs undergo similar requirements as ICE mopeds.

Having said the above: No Euro S-Pedelec is equipped with turn signals. The rider has to resort to hand signals while riding an S-Pedelec. (Specialized had a plan to equip their 2017 S-Pedelec with turn signals but resigned from doing that as it was totally unnecessary and complicated).

I am using these tail lights, made a 16" extension bar out of PVC pipe,
to have these separated L/R lights mounted on the ends,
and the center piece mounted in the center, with the main control
piece mounted on the handle bars.
These lights show up very bright in the hours, I have used them
the turns signal pieces are mounted far enough apart to show
the direction I am turning etc.

There are several different types, get the ones with the longest battery life.

I'll post a photo of the extension bar build,
as soon as I figure out the photo posting headache.
HTH's
Don

It has always struck me as a bit unsafe to take one's hand off the bars to signal a turn. You lose the use of your front brake and only have one-handed control of the bike at a point in time you might really need both of those things.
I like how it works on my motorbike. You only need to move your thumb to signal a turn. Your hands stay in position, with full controls available.

I consider turn signals a twofold increase. First being a situational, I'm letting traffic my intentions. Secondly from a control standpoint I'm leeping both on the handlebars. Not to belittle younger generation but I don't if they know what the hand signals mean.

There is full battery voltage to your display. I intercepted it and ran it to a keyed switch. After the keyed switch, I wired in a 48v-12v converter. The converter feeds this kit

Ebike Headlight and Tail Light... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KG5GJRD?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

That kit wires to your brake sensors. With this kit, I also gained a working brake light. My Ride1Up700 didn’t have that. In the description, there was something about reversing polarity for the brake signal. I had to do that. I also had to feed full battery voltage to my taillight, not sure why 12v wouldn’t work. Maybe drawing too much current from the buck converter. With working turn signals, I then bought motorcycle indicator lights and mounted them to my front stantions. Now I have front and rear signals. This kit has JST connectors, maybe your bike is similar. There is also a waterplug version, but it’s the smaller version waterplug. We also have a RadRunnerPlus. I’m still trying to figure out how to wire that waterplug version to it. That one is a bit funky.

Thanks for the link Slaphappy. It looks like you can work the turn indicator with your hands on the grips. :)

You sure can. I also got rid on my thumb throttle. It was on the left. I replaced that with a half twist throttle and placed it on the right. It’s a bit tight, with my gear shifter there, but the left thumb throttle was really bothering me.

Back