Turbo Vado SL 5.0 - Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 700x47

mogulman

Region
USA
Anyone know if this tire will work with the Vado SL 5.0 2022? The shop is telling me the 42 will work, but it's been out of stock since forever.

They are saying the diameter of the tire+wheel will be too much with the 47. I can't see any specs for this tire on Specialized's web-site, so I have no idea. Would really love to run a 47 on this bike though.

Also.. I don't have fenders or racks.

Last edited:
Specialized Support page for the Vado SL states that 42 is the largest tire you can put on it.... for what it's worth. The Pathfinder Pro has been out everywhere in my neck of the woods also, but the LBS had the S-Works Pathfinder 42. I went ahead and bought those as they're only an additional $15 per tire. Going tubeless and running lower pressure made a noticeable improvement in comfort.

Last edited:
@sanyata just out of curiosity, what psi were you using with tubes and what psi you using tubeless?

How do those compare to the SRAM recommended pressures for each? For me the difference is under 4psi on 42’s.

Last edited:
I ran 80 psi w/tubes, the max limit stated on the 38 tire. I run 65 psi tubeless, the max stated on the 42 tire. So, 15 psi difference. This is on a SL 4.0 with me at 235lbs.
I don't have any knowledge on the SRAM recommendation as I haven't any idea what that even is!

Ah! Just saw your SRAM link and played around with it. It looks like there is an 8 psi difference between the two tire sizes for me. Probably the weight difference between us. It also suggests that I could run lower pressures which I might try. Thanks!

@sanyata yeah, I'm a bit lighter than you (and likely correspondingly shorter), so if I were on 38's the SRAM calculator suggests 44 front, 47 rear. My Creo E5 came with 28's which I immediately changed to Pathfinder 42's upon getting it home (it's intended for gravel mostly) and the recommended ~43-45psi with tubes is pretty cushy.

It was a BIG revelation on my road bike (700x32c) when I quit running tires at the max and dropped them down to middling pressures based on different calculators and a bit of trial and error. *really* helped cushion the ride out even while retaining tubes.

Also it seems some tires are just stiffer than others, so that can have an impact as well.

Thanks for the responses.

I was out in the garage, so I took out the calipers and took several measurements. The smallest of the three clearance spots on my bike is on the chainstay where it is indented for the wheel, on the chain side, next to the weld. With the 42's there is 0.38" sidewall clearance. There was 0.475" diameter clearance where the rack attachment spot is.

I have this tire, (47mm), but it's on a 650b rim. My wheels are aftermarket carbon and are fairly wide. Pumped up to 38psi they're 49.3mm wide. You'll probably need more than 50mm clearance.

@mogulman Seems you're gonna have to try it and report back.

I'm going to guess the answer is no though. Specialized says the max tire size is 42mm. They give the same spec for 700x42c on the Creo, and with my Pathfinder Sport tires there's very little clearance between the tire and the drive size chainstay. Nowhere near enuf for 700x47c IMHO.

If you wish to give it a try though, order up a single tire and see what happens. A tube suitable for 700x42c will handle a 700x47c long enough to see if the tire fits.

So I’ve had a set of panny gravelking SKs on which are 43. Last weekend I swapped them out for a pair of WTB Byways which are 44. But the WTB on the wheel size up much narrower on my SL 4 rims then the GKs. The gravel kings were very wide. Probably because of the SK knob tread pattern. Anyway both sets of tyres fit the SL 4 no problem. I think every tyre sits differently and it’s down to brand, tread pattern and interior rim size.

Have to say I’m loving the Byways. The Gravelkings were great in the muddy winter conditions. These Byways feel much faster.

Back