Turbo Vado SL 5.0 2022 - MasterMind TCU/TCD

Badders

Region
United Kingdom
City
Edinburgh
After weeks of research, I'm about to purchase a Turbo Vado SL 5.0 2022 and I have a couple of questions:
  1. Will it have the MasterMind TCU installed?
  2. Does it come with the TCD, or is that only with the Equipped version?
  3. If it doesn't have the TCD, Should I purchase it, get an alternative like the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt/Garmin Edge 530 or just use my phone with Mission Control? (I have a QuadLock case and handlebar mount)

I bought a 2022 turbo Vado Sl 5.0 EQ it had the Mastermind TCU installed, did not come with TCD and I don’t think it is necessary with the Mastermind. I think it’s a great bike for my needs, I love it!

After weeks of research, I'm about to purchase a Turbo Vado SL 5.0 2022 and I have a couple of questions:
  1. Will it have the MasterMind TCU installed?
  2. Does it come with the TCD, or is that only with the Equipped version?
  3. If it doesn't have the TCD, Should I purchase it, get an alternative like the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt/Garmin Edge 530 or just use my phone with Mission Control? (I have a QuadLock case and handlebar mount)

If my link works, you can see the TCD next to my Garmin Edge. It is probably duplicative but I got use to it. It does quickly show me the power level and battery %. I purchased it when I first got the bike so I stick with it. I do not have the Mastermind but frankly looking between the legs for info was just not safe in my opinion. It was daunting enough to select the power down there - I've added the Creo's remote power buttons.

get an alternative like the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt/Garmin Edge 530 or just use my phone with Mission Control?
Either is more practical than the TCD. I'm only using the Wahoo ELEMNT Roam on my Vado SL (and I believe the Bolt v2 is more modern). My TCD is gathering dust in the drawer.

If my link works, you can see the TCD next to my Garmin Edge. It is probably duplicative but I got use to it. It does quickly show me the power level and battery %. I purchased it when I first got the bike so I stick with it. I do not have the Mastermind but frankly looking between the legs for info was just not safe in my opinion. It was daunting enough to select the power down there - I've added the Creo's remote power buttons.

I can mount my smartphone on my handlebars and get the information from the mastermind TCU that I want to view from the mastermind app on my phones screen which is really easy to view.

Thanks. I’ll start with Mission Control on my phone as I have the phone case and mount already so no additional expense. I may switch to using a Garmin since my phone’s battery is showing it’s age.

I can mount my smartphone on my handlebars and get the information from the mastermind TCU that I want to view from the mastermind app on my phones screen which is really easy to view.
Oh, is there a Mastermind App in addition to Mission Control? Yes, I'm just use to the TCD. Its real problem is the battery does not seem to last long and setting it up with its fiddly buttons!

Oh, is there a Mastermind App in addition to Mission Control? Yes, I'm just use to the TCD. Its real problem is the battery does not seem to last long and setting it up with its fiddly buttons!
I meant mission control app on the smart phone, sorry to confuse you.

I am new and have a 2022 Vado 4.0. This has the Mastermind TCD ? I have paired it to my heart rate monitor but have not yet
figured out how to show my hear rate in the disply.

I am new and have a 2022 Vado 4.0. This has the Mastermind TCD ? I have paired it to my heart rate monitor but have not yet
figured out how to show my hear rate in the disply.
The Vado SL 4.0 does not have mastermind TCU. But you likely did the same as me and added the TCD display. This quote might help from a previous thread:
“I paired it with instructions from the LBS. As I recall, I held the left button down until the setting screen came up. Then, no joke, I double clicked both buttons until heart rate came up. Then, it asked me if I wanted to pair, and offered “yes” or “no.” I pressed until I got “yes” and then held down the left button, as I recall.”

Last edited:
thank you - my 2022 Vado comes with a display that is wired to the bike - it seemed so odd that you could not display the heart rate
on the screen

@mjones5: I seem to have answered your question twice already. After you have paired your HR monitor to the Mastermind TCD_w, you need to use Mission Control app to configure your display data screens.

@Seasider: Vado SL is not Vado and TCU is not TCD_w. Mjones has a Vado and the new Mastermind TCD_w.

@mjones5: I seem to have answered your question twice already. After you have paired your HR monitor to the Mastermind TCD_w, you need to use Mission Control app to configure your display data screens.

@Seasider: Vado SL is not Vado and TCU is not TCD_w. Mjones has a Vado and the new Mastermind TCD_w.
I have the Mastermind TCD2 on my 22 Vado. The shop where I purchased it does not think I can. I will keep researching - I can always attached my Wahoo to the handlebars and with AFib I have to watch my heart rate. Thank you for the responses this group is great.

I can always attached my Wahoo to the handlebars and with AFib I have to watch my heart rate.
This is what I'm doing. Although the TCD_w 1 on my big Vado and the TCD that I could use on my Vado SL both allow pairing a HR monitor, I prefer having it paired to my Wahoo for the single point of reference for both e-bikes.

Yes, I see but the thread title is for the SL. Specialized not great at differentiating their product name imo.
My bad. I even didn't look at the thread title!

I have a 2022 Turbo Vado SL 5.0. The TCD is on the top tube. I used the Mission control app to display (3) pieces of data on (3) different screens for a total of (9) metrics that I selected. I used my phone attached to a quad lock when I ride. I use (2) apps when riding; Mission Control to start my ride and the Garmin radar app that connects to a Garmin radar device mounted to the back of my seat. The Mission Control app automatically uploads to Strava and Specialized rides to view more metrics. Hope you get the bike. It’s a fun ride. I installed a PNW dropper/ suspension post and Specialized Armadillo tires to some out the ride on light gravel roads.

I have a 2021 Vado SL 5.0. The TCD that came with the bike quit working. Tried new batteries...nothing. So I decided to get a Garmin 530 edge. It seems to be highly regarded and appears that many are using this bike computer with their Specialized E-Biikes. Setup of the Garmin was a breeze but pairing to my e-bike not so much. When I go the sensors it finds my e-bike, I check the check box but then nothing. The bike is on

Sorry for the inadvertent partial post above. I did finally get the e-bike to pair but no e-bike data is being displayed when I ride. I went back and paired the cadence and power sensors separately. The power sensor paired but not the cadence. Still nothing is from the e-bike is being displayed on the Garmin. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks

Back