Turbo Vado SL 4.0 rear wheel hub loose

Cycologist

Region
USA
Just picked up a Turbo Vado SL 4.0 (2023) in February and have been enjoying it ever since.
So far, I put on about 550 miles and recently noticed that the rear wheel hub now has a lot of play in it.
It's enough where if you jiggle the wheel side-to-side, you can make the brake disc hit the brake pads.

Has anyone had this issue on their Tubo Vado SL or other similar bike? Is it easy to fix? I imagine the hub must be snugged up to remove the play, but how to do it is the question.
On my older mountain bike, this would be easy, but this is my first e-bike and the rear wheel setup looks very different.

Not sure why this happened on a brand-new bike.
I ride off-road most of the time, but the trails are crushed limestone and very well maintained.
I ride in what you might call a "spirited" manner, but still, 550 miles doesn't seem like a lot of distance to all of a sudden have this issue.

The bike has been fine otherwise and has been great. It's VERY fun to ride.

Just picked up a Turbo Vado SL 4.0 (2023) in February and have been enjoying it ever since.
So far, I put on about 550 miles and recently noticed that the rear wheel hub now has a lot of play in it.
It's enough where if you jiggle the wheel side-to-side, you can make the brake disc hit the brake pads.

Has anyone had this issue on their Tubo Vado SL or other similar bike? Is it easy to fix? I imagine the hub must be snugged up to remove the play, but how to do it is the question.
On my older mountain bike, this would be easy, but this is my first e-bike and the rear wheel setup looks very different.

Not sure why this happened on a brand-new bike.
I ride off-road most of the time, but the trails are crushed limestone and very well maintained.
I ride in what you might call a "spirited" manner, but still, 550 miles doesn't seem like a lot of distance to all of a sudden have this issue.

The bike has been fine otherwise and has been great. It's VERY fun to ride.
You should be under warranty. Take it to your dealer and have them fix it

You should be under warranty. Take it to your dealer and have them fix it
I do totally agree. Good rear hubs as used in Vado SL should not develop such a behaviour. It decidely is a warranty thing.

I have just had the same problem with my Creo after 5000 mls turned out to be a worn cage bearing on the drive side, cost me £5 to replace the 2 in the hub from local bearing shop. However if yours is under warranty I would take it to your dealer.

I guess I'll need to bring it to the bike shop.
They're backed up for weeks and you can't make an appointment. You just have to drop your bike off and then they will work on it when they can.
It sucks because we're having some nice weather and I want to ride.

They're backed up for weeks and you can't make an appointment. You just have to drop your bike off and then they will work on it when they can.
Sad to hear it. Unfortunately, replacing a bearing in the rear hub is not simple, especially as the bearing itself has to be found and bought first.

What if you just drop off the wheel? Sometimes just dropping off the part instead of the whole bike, which takes up space, they'll get you fixed up sooner.
Where in the US are you located?

I asked about dropping the wheel and they won't do it that way. They want the whole bike.

I think I'm just going to get a set of wheel bearing cone wrenches and do it myself. The bearings are fine, it's just the cone that's loose and it needs to be snugged up. With as much as I ride, I really need to do basic little things like this instead of bringing it to the bike shop every time.

Does anyone know what size wrench the rear wheel bearing cone takes? It's not listed in the specs in the manual.

Well, that's a bummer. I had a new 32H wheel built and changed my SL over to Shimano. So, I have a stock wheel assembly that's available if you're interested. Sorry, I can't help ya on the cone spec. Good Luck!

I was just going to suggest…. Get cone wrenches and do it yourself. The fix might be as simple as loosening, readjusting, and retightening the cups.

That sucks. Service is why we spend more for LBS bikes. Will Specialize warranty this work at another shop, or at a Specialized-owned location?

Found this on Specialized Web site. Specs on the rear hub.

Rear Hub:
Specialized alloy rear hub disc, Center Lock™, sealed cartridge bearings, 12x148mm, 28h

I'm assuming, by "sealed cartridge bearings", they mean this:

TF-BB6200-2.jpg

If so, that's great since those things are tough and pretty easy to replace.
I've replaced these on my lawnmower before. They take a beating.

Back