Turbo Vado Front Rack

Mine arrived the other day. I took off the included plate with the intention of using a basket instead.

Installation was going well up until I discovered that the headlight cable is a few inches too short to reach to the new mounting position out front. I tried looking for more slack behind the battery with no luck, so I'll be taking it to my LBS to see if they can help me out.

Aside from the cable length issue, I was pleased to discover that the rack has a nice cable routing solution on the underside and they include screws with special washers designed to hold the cable tucked neatly in a guide channel.

Attachments

• VadoFrontRackInstall.jpg
    VadoFrontRackInstall.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 666
I just pulled apart the front light on my 2022 Vado 4.0 and there might be enough slack in the cable. Does anyone know what the internal cable routes look like inside the frame? Where the cable for the light terminates? I don't want to pull too hard but I'd say I got a good 12" extra length that came out easily.
Front light (as well as rear) plug into the motor on the left side near the back.

You will need to remove the left side crank arm, then the motor cover, and probably also the main plug from the battery. Be aware there's a retainer at the top you need to lift before unseating the big plug. There may be a bit of slack on the wire at the motor, and there may also be slack behind the steering tube. Likely depends on frame size. (going from my 2022 Vado 4.0)

Mine arrived the other day. I took off the included plate with the intention of using a basket instead.

Installation was going well up until I discovered that the headlight cable is a few inches too short to reach to the new mounting position out front. I tried looking for more slack behind the battery with no luck, so I'll be taking it to my LBS to see if they can help me out.

Aside from the cable length issue, I was pleased to discover that the rack has a nice cable routing solution on the underside and they include screws with special washers designed to hold the cable tucked neatly in a guide channel.

I wonder if Specialized has an alternate cable for these - and if so why it doesn't come with the rack or be noted you need to order it.

Worst case, someone with a bit of soldering experience could easily extend the cable a bit. Weather sealing is easily handled with adhesive-lined shrinkwrap tubing.

Thanks for posting.

Is keeping the light in its original location possible? And if so, which Vado so you have (light mount on the 5.0 is different)

And does the light mounting point from the front rack remove? Or fixed in place (sticking out front)?

I'm thinking of buying the front rack, but seeking minimalist look.

Thanks.

I received the front rack with the adventure plate today. Indeed, the front light cable is too short by a good 4 inches so I cut the cable and spliced an extension cable in.
I decided to mount my front light upside down so that it wouldn't interfere with cargo that could protrude beyond the front of the adventure plate.

I took the adventure plate off and tried the basket. It will only fit backward. I even tried switching the mik adapter but the back part of the basket interferes with the handlebars. The basket is only going to work installed backward as is shown in my photo.
All in all, it is nice I just wish I could have the basket installed the right way.

1665181292127.png
1665181310138.png

Last edited:
Is keeping the light in its original location possible? And if so, which Vado so you have (light mount on the 5.0 is different)
And does the light mounting point from the front rack remove? Or fixed in place (sticking out front)?
I'm thinking of buying the front rack, but seeking minimalist look.
Unfortunately the light cannot stay in the original location, as it makes contact with the rack when the handlebars are turned.
The light mount is designed to be relocated with the light. You detach it from its original location and then attach it to the front of the rack. You could ditch it entirely if you want for that clean look you desire, but I'm not sure where that leaves you with headlight options.

Unfortunately the light cannot stay in the original location, as it makes contact with the rack when the handlebars are turned.
The light mount is designed to be relocated with the light. You detach it from its original location and then attach it to the front of the rack. You could ditch it entirely if you want for that clean look you desire, but I'm not sure where that leaves you with headlight options.
Before I cut my headlight wire to extend it... I did use a rubber band to attach the headlight to the handlebars. Which did work. Other than that you have to cut and splice in wire to extend the headlight.

I’m confused now because the rack in Sargon’s pic looks different to the one in Axis’ pic.

Looks like if you have a Vado 5 then the light will not need moving as it’s mounted on the forks.

I’m confused now because the rack in Sargon’s pic looks different to the one in Axis’ pic.

Looks like if you have a Vado 5 then the light will not need moving as it’s mounted on the forks.
There are 2 parts which come together.

1: The rack (which is attached directly to bike) and looks a bit like the top of the rear rack - allowing a MIK adaptor.

2: The adventure plate, which i think is initially bolted directly on, but which you can remove to use things that are MIK compatible.

(I'm assuming you could also add a MIK adaptor to the bottom of the adventure plate so you can easily swap it for other items?)

3: and bought separately, the basket

The various pics above are showing different items / combinations

The Vado 5 does indeed use a different light mounting point (lower) and style, so there is a chance that it might be able to stay in its original location, though also that doing so might make you less visible if it is now partially obscured by new front rack.

There are 2 parts which come together.

1: The rack (which is attached directly to bike) and looks a bit like the top of the rear rack - allowing a MIK adaptor.

2: The adventure plate, which i think is initially bolted directly on, but which you can remove to use things that are MIK compatible.

(I'm assuming you could also add a MIK adaptor to the bottom of the adventure plate so you can easily swap it for other items?)

3: and bought separately, the basket

The various pics above are showing different items / combinations

The Vado 5 does indeed use a different light mounting point (lower) and style, so there is a chance that it might be able to stay in its original location, though also that doing so might make you less visible if it is now partially obscured by new front rack.
Video on product webpage shows a Vado 5 with light in both original, and rack, mounting locations.

[EDIT / UPDATE: As Jessed later notes, the compression of the forks would mean the light can't stay in its original position on the VADO 5, as it would compress into the carrier rack]

Others have noted, on the Vado 4, the light does not work in the original location / orientation (did anyone try flipping the light to be upside down on the original mounting point?- if flipped, I suspect the light wouldn't be able to point sufficiently downwards)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221008-093912.jpg
    Screenshot_20221008-093912.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 286
  • Screenshot_20221008-094024.jpg
    Screenshot_20221008-094024.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. Makes sense. I have a 5 so may be lucky. Now if Fjallraven bring out a nice bag for it we would be sorted!

Video on product webpage shows a Vado 5 with light in both original, and rack, mounting locations.

Others have noted, on the Vado 4, the light does not work in the original location / orientation (did anyone try flipping the light to be upside down on the original mounting point?- if flipped, I suspect the light wouldn't be able to point sufficiently downwards)
Yes, I tried and no it won’t work. What will work is mounting the headlight to the handlebar or cutting the headlight cable and splicing in 4" inches or so.

Last edited:
The Vado 5 light seems like it can stay in its current position when you do a test fit, until you realize that it’s mounted to the fork and the rack hits it when your shocks compress :(

Also noticed that the bottom two threaded holes on the frame mount aren’t threaded deep/clean enough, so the bottom two bolts can’t be fully tightened.

Taking mine to the LBS today to do a proper light install and re-tap of the holes.

Also as others have mentioned it would be great if the adventure plate was on a MIK plate instead of permanently mounted. I’ll probably do that next.

Pretty poor of Specialized to design the mount etc in to the head tube but not provide enough slack in the light cable!

Pretty poor of Specialized to design the mount etc in to the head tube but not provide enough slack in the light cable!
That and the front rack can't mount the turbo basket unless it is backward (yes I tried reversing the mik plate adaptor).

1665332012295.png

Mounted the front rack & tray yesterday. I had plenty of cable on my headlight stashed in the frame. Fairly easy to install but definitely want to use the included washers or you’ll be screwing into the steerer tube. Love the setup. The more I can carry on the bike makes for less excuses for taking the car.

Attachments

• FDD3C495-43DE-41C5-AD16-5D4910537953.jpeg
    FDD3C495-43DE-41C5-AD16-5D4910537953.jpeg
    302.7 KB · Views: 646
Mounted the front rack & tray yesterday. I had plenty of cable on my headlight stashed in the frame. Fairly easy to install but definitely want to use the included washers or you’ll be screwing into the steerer tube. Love the setup. The more I can carry on the bike makes for less excuses for taking the car.
Great to hear you had enough cable.

Back