Turbo Vado 5 battery removal issue

Region
USA
City
Connecticut’
I just got a new turbo Vado 5 last week. I tried to remove the battery but it does not release. I found and watched the video, tried it a few times without luck. I called specialized who took me through the process, again without success. The agent told me to rake it to a specialized dealer. Before I go to one, does anyone have a tip for releasing the battery I can try?

The Abus lock can be finnicky. I like to wiggle the key while turning clockwise all the way. Then tap the left side of the battery into the frame to release the battery.

Isn't it the 2022 Vado with the AXA lock?
Yes it is.
Before I go to one, does anyone have a tip for releasing the battery I can try?
More details please. Are you unable to release the battery with the lever that makes it dangle? Or can you get it to that stage and can’t wiggle it out of the frame once it is dangling? I could interpret both as a release.

I had problems removing the battery on my Vado 5 IGH (2022) as well. The battery does not pop out much when you pull the lever. Instead, you have to slightly pry the battery out with the tips of your fingers and nails while also pulling on the lever. It doesn't feel natural doing this. But mine seems to get a bit easier to pry out with each time I remove the battery.

I can try to post of video of needed.

Mine has never stuck. Just needed to engage the lever far enough. I think they have a rubber seal around the opening. Maybe it’s too tight there and just needs to wear in a bit. Never needed to pry mine.

Yes it is.

More details please. Are you unable to release the battery with the lever that makes it dangle? Or can you get it to that stage and can’t wiggle it out of the frame once it is dangling? I could interpret both as a release.
Thanks. The lever can be moved fully to the release position but the battery does not release.

So here'e the perfect world scenario ...

And here'e real world scenario...maybe these will help?

13:30 in ....

14:00 in...
The specialized video suggested the solution, which is to hold the release lever down (noted in a callout on screen) and then take the battery out. The ebr video showed the same issue and solved it by using the holding the lever solution. These vids were very helpful, and I thank you for them and taking the time to specify the time stamps, too. As soon as I get to the garage, I’ll try it out.

The specialized video suggested the solution, which is to hold the release lever down (noted in a callout on screen) and then take the battery out. The ebr video showed the same issue and solved it by using the holding the lever solution. These vids were very helpful, and I thank you for them and taking the time to specify the time stamps, too. As soon as I get to the garage, I’ll try it out.
Well, it didn’t work. I’ll be making a trip to a specialized dealer.

When I hold down the lever on my Vado, the battery pops out just a tiny bit. Like only a 1/16" or so. But there is enough of a gap that I can work my finger tips in the small opening between battery and frame. A little bit of wiggling back and forth and the battery moves enough so I can pull it down like the Specialized video shows. This all needs to be done with the lever pushed down.

This has been getting better now that I have removed the battery 20 times or so.

Good luck with getting the battery out!!

When I hold down the lever on my Vado, the battery pops out just a tiny bit. Like only a 1/16" or so. But there is enough of a gap that I can work my finger tips in the small opening between battery and frame. A little bit of wiggling back and forth and the battery moves enough so I can pull it down like the Specialized video shows. This all needs to be done with the lever pushed down.

This has been getting better now that I have removed the battery 20 times or so.

Thanks for the description and good wishes. I couldnt get my fingers to work their way in. I’ll try a plastic tool from a set used to open laptops and phones.

Thanks for the description and good wishes. I couldnt get my fingers to work their way in. I’ll try a plastic tool from a set used to open laptops and phones.
After trying a few times, I was able to get the battery out. I ended up taking it to the shop for this and a more serious unrelated issue. The motor would turn off randomly. It would start again by pressing the plus button. Diagnosis revealed that the torque sensor failed and the motor has to be replaced.

After trying a few times, I was able to get the battery out. I ended up taking it to the shop for this and a more serious unrelated issue. The motor would turn off randomly. It would start again by pressing the plus button. Diagnosis revealed that the torque sensor failed and the motor has to be replaced.

Had the same battery release issue with a couple of bikes. i always felt that the rubber gasket around the battery entrance into the frame was a bit too tight, almost creating a vacuum-like experience. I smeared on a thin coating of dialectric grease that I had on hand, that was compatible with rubber. Voila. After solving that and sliding the battery in and out several times it seemed to loosen the rubber gaskets grip just enough.

Last edited:
I got the bike back from the shop the other day. Re: the battery removal - the tech told me that Specialized changed the torque settings for the screws. He adjusted them as they specified. The result is that the battery is somewhat easier to remove, but it doesn't "pop" out as in the videos. I can live with it. I may take your tip about the dielectric grease and apply it at a pivot point. The torque sensor failure resulted in a motor replacement and made a tremendous difference in two ways: 1) the motor doesn't turn off, and 2) the motor is putting out the power properly. Prior to the swap, the motor was not responding correctly to my pedaling. I'm much happier riding now that these fixes were made.

Back