Turbo technology in 2014

Hey, nice bike. Let me put some mud on it ;-) It was nice to have you Court and a pleasure to meet you. I would like to add that another member here has both Turbo batteries (the old 36v and the new one) and reported no difference in weight.

Court - good update on the review - one note, the new battery weighs exactly the same as the old battery. Because I bought a 2013 after the 2014's were released, they provided the 500 wh battery as a free upgrade, and let me keep the 346 wh battery. After weighing both, they each clock in at just over 8 lbs. Minor nit, but thought I would mention it. If you don't mind the old computer and can live with red, the 2013 isn't a bad deal with the extra battery.

That said, the black is really attractive and more stealthy, as you mention.

Well, the joystick may not be as sturdy as it could be. Mine is broken, and I cannot view anything but Turbo mode and charge%. Taking it in this week for a replacement.

There is a key on the 2014's. It's on the lhs on the frame down near the BB set. My joystick display broke also. Fortunately the bike was in the eco mode and remained that way. It was replaced by specialized. After charging, the display always reads 98%, I've never seen 100%. The bike isn't very stable on the stand. A wind blew it over, and bent the derailleur hanger. Left me with top gear only - thank goodness for turbo mode, got me back to the car in a very strong headwind.

I agree that sounds like a good suggestion: a key slot at the top next to the power switch that disables the bike. The same key could be used for both key slots, to either enable/disable the power switch or remove the battery.

I agree that sounds like a good suggestion: a key slot at the top next to the power switch that disables the bike. The same key could be used for both key slots, to either enable/disable the power switch or remove the battery.

Totally brilliant idea!!
You guys should relay it back to the specialized team...

Why have a separate power switch all, if you've got a key-operated switch?

What I'd say to the Turbo team is that they need to beef up the flimsy 2014 joystick, since at least two members here have now had theirs disintegrate. From the feel of mine, I'd guess that the plastic post inside the silicone cover broke.

Before the joystick broke, my Turbo also had a bad habit of spontaneously dropping down from Turbo mode into Regen - always in the middle of a climb - so I'm guessing it was already failing before it broke permanently.

Update on the joystick: Issue is known to Specialized. If the joystick starts to feel a little floppier, it's broke. The good news is that replacements are in stock... Meanwhile, I'd be cautious about using the "throttle" mode - it seems to me to put a great deal of stress on the joystick when you hold it forward for a while.

So today was (and still is) an epic day as we embarked on a long bike ride with my wife. The reason it is epic I can not believe that at my weight (260) I can get so much out of this battery. I was going at ECO mode and relatively slowly but at this point (we're resting at my work right now) my battery is 38% and I have 47 miles on the odometer.

specialized-turbo-display-47-miles.jpg specialized-turbo-display-range.jpg

Awesome work! What do you have your ECO set at? I think factory is 30%, though I bumped mine to 60% so I would use it more.

For some reason I am unable to turn on/off the lights using the joystick. I have to press the button on the front light to do that. Have I un-knowingly turned off that option, or have others experienced the same thing?

That may be a first symptom of joystick failure. Mine did that, and also developed a habit of dropping into Regen mode while climbing steep hills, before the dealer replaced it.

This happened a week after I bought the bike and I never thought much about it until recently. I'll ask my dealer if he knows why this is happening but I thought perhaps I had turned something off that had disabled the joystick light control.

No, I have just one battery. Incidentally, I remember the same thing happening with the demo bike I had borrowed to test before I decided to get the Turbo. The demo bike's light also would not turn on/off via the joystick the second day after I tried it and I'd have to use the button on the front light to turn the lights on/off.

I had something similar happening to one battery and not ghs other but interestingly enough both seem to be working now.

Back