Turbo S motor issues

Matthew H

Hi there

Despite no longer being under guarantee, Specialized very kindly recently sent me a replacement motor for my 2014 Turbo S. The old motor (SBC-M01 0,25kW nominal) had started to run as soon as the wheel turned, regardless of whether one was pedalling or not - not great when this happened whenever I carried the bike up the flight of stairs from the street to my house. However I'm having some problems with the new motor they sent (SBC-M03 0,5kW nominal). The main "problem" is that the motor doesn't seem to stop providing support when I cross the 45 km/h mark. With the old motor I could feel the motor cut out quite clearly when I hit 45 km/h: With the new one there is no noticeable difference when cycling faster than 45km/h (maybe this shouldn't be termed a problem).

I took the bike to my dealer who suggested that perhaps the wheel diameter had been entered incorrectly and that I wasn't actually riding faster than 45 km/h with support - the display was just telling me that I was going faster than I actually was. I was a bit sceptical about this explanation since the wheel/tire size hadn't changed, but I nevertheless asked the dealer to "correct" the wheel diameter.

I picked the bike up a few days ago and I still have the same "problem". I wondered whether any software/firmware updates that my dealer might have made when he installed the new motor might mean that the motor cut-out is no longer so sudden and thus less easy to perceive. This doesn't seem to be the case. I tested this by riding fast and seeing whether there was a difference between continuing to ride in turbo mode (at a speeds between 45 and 50km/h) and riding this fast after having switched to the unsupported mode. There is a BIG difference. So my suspicions seem to be confirmed: my new motor doesn't seem to be cutting out at 45 km/h.

My question: Has anybody else experience such a "problem" and/or does anybody have a plausible explanation for what might be the cause?

Any tips gratefully received,
Matthew

I am failing to see the problem, you got a great upgrade. The nice thing about M03 is that it does keep going, whereas the others suffered from some resistance at around 47 if they didn't cut out.

Your earlier Turbo S did NOT come with the 691Wh battery that the later Turbo S did. If you had the US model of the Turbo S, the 2014 model had a 504Wh battery with no bluetooth support.

I recollect that a previous owner of a Turbo got an SBC-M03 as a replacement (or had one originally). When he ran an earlier battery (342 Wh??) he got speeds above 28 mph (45 km/h). When the 691 Wh Turbo S battery was installed, the top speed went back to 45 km/h.

In any case, I would not worry about it. Personally, I am at the other end. I have the SBC-M02 (200W) motor with the 691Wh battery. My top speed is 42 km/h (26 mph) and my range is huge at lower average speeds. I would love to have the SBC-M01, however as a tradeoff between range and performance.

Back