Turbo Levo vs Turbo Levo Comp?

Stefan I think the OP use of the word "probably " is where we differ. I read that and am trying to convince him to keep two ebikes or more! After all this is a forum full of Ebike advocates, therefore the formula must be N+1 not N-1. (-:

Hi Senior,

If you don't want to devote yourself to off-road trail riding only please do not make that expensive mistake. Been there done that (buying a Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro) and that was a grave mistake. Here is the catchphrase:

"THIS E-BIKE HAS BEEN DESIGNED FOR THE OFF-ROAD USE ONLY"

Let me tell you why a premium e-MTB such as Levo is totally unsuitable for the urban use:
  • An e-MTB is designed to climb dramatically steep ascents, typically over the rocks, tree-roots, etc (technical trail riding). It is a very slow e-bike on the flat.
  • The smallish chairing is made for climbing. If you want to ride fast on the flat, it would require very very high cadence, which I do not think you can achieve (increasing heart rate beyond any reason). The chainring can be replaced but not too much (the e-bike geometry prevents that).
  • The e-bike is Class 1 (20 mph). Are you aware of that?
  • The riding position is very specific: You are "laying" on the handlebars with your arms wide apart. Is it comfort? :)
  • You will discover that the full suspension has not been actually made for ride comfort but for maintaining traction in rough terrain
  • You'll immediately discover the tires are so noisy and eat so much of your pedalling energy, you will go for a quest to replace the tyres with something like Schwalbe Johnny Watts
  • You will soon thinking about some fenders. Does it never rain in PNW?
  • You'll start craving for a rack. Hard to find for an e-MTB, and again, increasing weight of the e-bike
  • You will find out you need lighting, too...
And you will actually realize you return very tired from your rides. Ask me how I know :)

Levo or Levo Comp? The bigger battery makes great sense, and is the most expensive e-bike component. The Comp is also equipped with more premium componentry.

Seattle Senior: If you really need a full suspension e-bike, think of Moustache or Riese & Mueller. These brands are making expensive SUV e-bikes, full suspension and all. These brands make full suspension e-bikes to be used in the city.

Don't buy an e-MTB for the urban use, please!

P.S. My Trance E+ was an excellent off-road e-MTB (almost as good as a Levo). I loved it off-road but was totally disappointed on paved roads. Eventually, I gave that e-bike to my brother as a gift because he loves it but I hated it :)

Stefan.... the only point above that I agree with you on is that it rains in the PNW. Cut the handlebars down if you like ....add a delimeter if you please ....increase the size of the front ring if you want (I went from 15 to 21) and your roadie buddies will not keep up. When it rains take the other bike or get wet. Who goes mountain biking in a rain storm anyway? Tire noise ...so what? Who are you trying to sneak up on? You already know there are lights and racks and fenders available so ?

Last edited:
Stefan.... the only point above that I agree with you on is that it rains in the PNW.
Hey, you bad-mouthing the pacific northWET or northWET washington? On RARE occasions things can be perfect

Friday:
PXL_20220422_222243023-.jpg

Saturday:
PXL_20220423_212255448-.jpg

Sunday:
PXL_20220424_205626263e.jpg

But don't tell Lesser Seattle I posted those pictures! :cool:

What a great video! A good example of the kind of riding I’d like to do. Thanks for posting.

Senior
You’re welcome. I thought that footage might have been more to your liking. The fellow (ex-biker) following Ross is riding a Levo Comp Carbon which inspired me to acquire my own.

Levos are nice bikes but I’ll be riding mine strictly on technical single tracks. It is a lot of bike and might be more suitable for avid riders wanting to push the envelope. That being said, knock your socks off and enjoy it if you’re able to obtain one. 160/150 mm travel front and rear. Short chain stays and a new for ’22 mullet setup makes for one sweet nimble and flickable bike. Also new for this year is Mastermind TCU which is kinda cool but then I receive all of my metrics via my Garmin anyways.

Lots of helpful folks here who might help steer you in the right direction but ultimately the decision rests with you so do your research with an open mind and remember Specialized isn't the only game in town. Riding trails can be a ton of fun but take it from me, doing with others who have more experience and knowledge of the local terrain will help tremendously. Communication is key, don’t get discouraged and never be afraid to ask for advice of others on the trail. Most are more than happy to impart their knowledge to aid a fellow rider.

Stefan I think the OP use of the word "probably " is where we differ. I read that and am trying to convince him to keep two ebikes or more! After all this is a forum full of Ebike advocates, therefore the formula must be N+1 not N-1. (-:
After this very good discussion, I’m actually considering going with the Turbo Tero 5.0, saving a $2k and keeping the Allant. The Tero has the big battery, and the 2.2 motor, as well as the new controller which the more expensive Levo Comp does not have AFAIK. And It appears it can handle the off road riding I’m thinking of and is available to order.

I’ve been looking at trail maps here in Washington and e-bike approved trails are still very limited. In fact, from what I just read, it appears the Burke-Gilman trail, the major 27-mile bike trail winding through Seattle and my favorite route is only approved for Class 1 and 2 and speed limited to 15 mph. So I guess my Class 3 Allant isn’t legal! 😂. I’m a scofflaw and didn’t know it.

Most are more than happy to impart their knowledge to aid a fellow rider.
There's nothing worse than riding trails alone. On one of my recent off-road rides, I had a crash. There was no network coverage where I fell, and hardly any people. And I started wondering what would have happened if my crash were really bad, leaving me broken and unconscious...

After this very good discussion, I’m actually considering going with the Turbo Tero 5.0, saving a $2k and keeping the Allant.
Approved! :) Many happy miles!

Guys,

What I could understand from the two detailed posts of @SeattleSenior was:
  • He already owns an Allant, which indeed is an excellent commuter e-bike
  • He wants an FS e-bike to further soften his rides
  • He might ride some easy trails but it is not the essence of his needs
  • He likes the Specialized electronics (I love it myself!)
  • He wants to keep a single e-bike.

I would be the last person to discourage anyone from buying a Specialized e-bike. I only want to say regarding the Levo: "This e-bike has been designed for off-road use only"..
An e-MTB is an animal that needs to be brought with a car or van to the beginning of the trail. People who own a single e-MTB soon do everything possible to convert their e-bike into a more urban machine (my brother got the Trance E+ from me, and he indeed has converted that e-bike to something more urban).

If someone is not an MTB-er by heart, an e-MTB will become an expensive second e-bike, surprisingly rarely used.

You do not qualify, Art :) It is because you own:
  • Several road/gravel e-bikes
  • Several e-MTBs
You ride a lot of trails, especially in the winter. You ride your road/gravel e-bikes now on the pavement or gravel.
Read what the OP has written. A single e-bike meant for more ride comfort is what he wants.

I set off for a group gravel-cycling ride on last Sunday. The Trance E+ shone off-road: it was actually too easy to ride it. A singletrack, patches of sand, tree-roots, name it, a delight! Now, I met a fallen tree: how do you lift a heavy e-MTB over such an obstacle? 70% of the route consisted of the pavement: I had trouble to follow my mates who rode gravel bikes! The guys riding gravel bikes were always faster than I, and they were carrying their lightweight bikes over obstacles easily! And I came from the 90 km ride exhausted. Me -- exhausted! -- just after 90 km on an e-MTB! Using as many as two batteries (I carried one -- 4 kg -- in the backpack).

e-MTBers typically ride for something like 30 km but they achieve very big elevation gain: they do climb.

Sometimes I dream I might buy something like a Levo SL. Then I wake up from my dream: "You idiot! You had already owned an e-MTB and gave it away! WHY?!" Why? Because I ride singletrack occasionally only. The e-MTB was an expensive toy I hardly used.

View attachment 121475
Now fancy it is an e-MTB :)

View attachment 121476
I totally agree an e-MTB shines there.

View attachment 121479
On my first gravel-cycling group ride (2021). The guy was a Covid survivor and he could not match the group. I rode the Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro and I could not follow that group, either.

This video is only available to Facebook users. If you can watch it, turn the audio on an listen to the roaring tyres of the e-MTB.
I realize the position the OP is in but he also wants to ride off road. I don’t believe he plans on fording streams or lifting his ride over impassable impediments. Purely easy/moderate trails that he can access locally as in the video that I posted. I also ride with a female friend who rides a Trek PS 4 and we’ve ridden 60km on pavement together on a couple of occasions. No issues with her in that respect, whatsoever. I can’t say for sure but I don’t think @SeattleSenior has any intention of chasing down rogue gravel riders on an e-MTB. Is there any reason to think that he has a need for speed?

Keep posting those gravel rides and don't be shy about showing off how well you eat on the road! 😋

Seems like @SeattleSenior has come to a definitive decision. Kudos to him. 👍

increase the size of the front ring if you want (I went from 15 to 21) and your roadie buddies will not keep up.
Steve: we are talking on normal e-bikes, not the older Bosch solutions.
The Levo comes with a 32T chainring (13T for older Bosch), and the max is 38T (it's 15T for the older Bosch). Besides, it is the 38T in the Trance E+ and 36T in Tero 5.0. MTB chainrings all end at 38T, and both the chain-stay clearance and chain-guide size prevent installing bigger chainrings.
I disagree. One: Many people can only afford and maintain a single e-bike. Two: I went N-2 = 2 because I cannot store and maintain more e-bikes now, and I have been able to determine my real e-biking needs, too.

Is there any reason to think that he has a need for speed?
Art, you will certainly agree with me the FS e-MTB is for climbing not for riding on the flat :)

Seems like @SeattleSenior has come to a definitive decision. Kudos to him. 👍
I like his thought of getting a Tero 5.0 (and keeping the Allant) because it will keep him at N=2, and the Tero (as a Cross Country e-bike) is appropriate for his needs. Even the Tero stock tyres seem to be well chosen for the purpose.

1651035760421.png

I loved the Tero as the type of e-bike on my demo ride. (I disliked it only because it was the version 3.0 with the inferior fork).

Last edited:
After this very good discussion, I’m actually considering going with the Turbo Tero 5.0, saving a $2k and keeping the Allant. The Tero has the big battery, and the 2.2 motor, as well as the new controller which the more expensive Levo Comp does not have AFAIK. And It appears it can handle the off road riding I’m thinking of and is available to order.

I’ve been looking at trail maps here in Washington and e-bike approved trails are still very limited. In fact, from what I just read, it appears the Burke-Gilman trail, the major 27-mile bike trail winding through Seattle and my favorite route is only approved for Class 1 and 2 and speed limited to 15 mph. So I guess my Class 3 Allant isn’t legal! 😂. I’m a scofflaw and didn’t know it.
I noticed the other day that they dug out the Class list for the trail through Myrtle Edwards from behind some trees so that you can actually see it. But it is posted at the very south end of the trail and I've not noticed any such signs at the north end. I probably scofflawed a bunch of trails on Fri, Sat and Sun!

Tell that to Jacek.
"There's An Old Polish Proverb That Says: You do not inspect the teeth of a horse that was given to you" :D
(Besides, the Kampinos National Park is just behind his corner!)
  • Derestricted at 33 km/h. (Derestricting more means a flat battery soon).
  • Ice Spiker Pro for the Winter, Maxxis downhill tyres for cold Spring and Autumn, Johnny Watts for the warm season
  • Replacing 4 smallest sprockets of the cassette often due to premature wear (fast commutes)
  • Temporary fenders for the warm season, full fenders for the Winter
  • Rack can be installed at any time
  • Lighting installed
  • "No" to the kickstand
  • Jacek has learned spinning at high cadence.
Because it is his only e-bike, and he cannot have more.

Last edited:

That looks like a great bike. The only negative thing I have to say is that it does not afford you the opportunity to increase your cruising range as the batteries will not be compatible between the two bikes so you can not bring along a spare. Before you pull the trigger on it you might take a quick look on Craiglsist or facebook marketplace for a used Emtb which has an interchangeable battery with your existing bike? Just a thought . Anyways enjoy it and keep the rubber side down!

Last edited:
Ordered a Tero 5.0 today online! Having it sent to my local bike shop for assembly and delivery! I was a little disappointed with color choice - I really liked that Cobalt Blue on the Levo. But I suspect that the muted red will look very nice in person.

It seems the challenge will be actually finding good appropriate trails that are e-bike approved! Washington seems to have an antipathy towards e-mountain bikes! When using a trails app, it shows a reasonable number of MTB trails and parks, but when you click the e-bike filter, they pretty much vanish! 😂 Very excited even so.

Thanks for all the comments and help everyone.

I just want to congratulate on your choice! Please post (with pictures) when you have got the Tero. And describe your experiences!
P.S. The colour will grow on you. It always does. And bear in mind: Red is the fasterestest color! :)

Last edited:
Ordered a Tero 5.0 today online! Having it sent to my local bike shop for assembly and delivery! I was a little disappointed with color choice - I really liked that Cobalt Blue on the Levo. But I suspect that the muted red will look very nice in person.

It seems the challenge will be actually finding good appropriate trails that are e-bike approved! Washington seems to have an antipathy towards e-mountain bikes! When using a trails app, it shows a reasonable number of MTB trails and parks, but when you click the e-bike filter, they pretty much vanish! 😂 Very excited even so.

Thanks for all the comments and help everyone.
SS not to worry ....If you slow and yield to pedestrians you will not encounter problems riding trails even if they are marked NO EBIKES.

Also get the loudest bell you can find which allows you to ring it earlier ,thus giving pedestrians more time to compose their ranks. We highly recommend these Japanese made Crane Suzu bells as the best we have found so far. https://www.cranebellco.com/suzu-bell
Steve! As I often need to ride MUPs and bike paths full of pedestrians (sigh...), I ride very slowly there to avoid any chance of crashing into the pedestrian (or, their dog!) I could use the bell but I prefer to say very loudly "RING RING!" It makes people smile!

Back