Turbo Levo Issue

Crush

Hey guys... So i'm 4 weeks in on my levo. Love it. Great bike, super fun.

But a week ago, the motor just stops 250metres from home. They replace it, no hassle. The new motor, 100% is not performing like the old... I didn't check the firmware on the old one but even with the mission control app set to 2400mm wheel diameter before, and 2000 now, the motor just isn't there... Uphills it now just feels like a heavy downhill bike and in technical stuff, the cut off is super slow... so I goto ratchet the pedals and it just takes off.

Anyone have any similar or weird issues? Taking it back again monday, hopefully it gets sorted quickly and doesn't sour my view on this thing.

Welcome to the world of e-bike problems. Complain as many times as possible with your dealer until you're 100% happy with the product. Specialized should replace any part (or the whole bike) until it works as expected. We pay good money for these bikes so the least expected is they work properly. Use the warranty as soon as you find an issue. They had to replace the back wheel for me and the lcd panel. They did it without major problem.

I suggest taking another look at the mission control app. Maybe the "ACCELERATION RESPONSE" in the tuning screen is related to your "take off" problem. It goes from eco to race. I often ride technical trails in ECO Travel mode at 10% and set the Acceleration Response between eco and normal with good results. As you may know, this system favors spinning vs torque for smooth results. Hope this helps.

But a week ago, the motor just stops 250metres from home. They replace it, no hassle. The new motor, 100% is not performing like the old... I didn't check the firmware on the old one but even with the mission control app set to 2400mm wheel diameter before, and 2000 now, the motor just isn't there... Uphills it now just feels like a heavy downhill bike and in technical stuff, the cut off is super slow... so I goto ratchet the pedals and it just takes off.

Anyone have any similar or weird issues? Taking it back again monday, hopefully it gets sorted quickly and doesn't sour my view on this thing.

I too have had the same issue with my Levo just stopped working, I would turn it off, restart and it would work for awhile then stop again. Took it to the dealer and did the same for them. Opened up the app and found two error codes, still waiting to hear what the codes were, more later

Hi Crush,
I've been riding a Levo Expert now for four months and when working it's great. I've been experiencing the following issue; when powering up the bike
I find no drive at all, Mission Control app does not indicate any errors. Normally switching the battery off and on cures the issue. This has been happening intermittently
now for two months. I contacted Specialized UK and they stated they hadn't hear of this issue. Well last Thursday we went out and on the second 800ft climb I had very limited drive,
and no difference in drive between ECO, TRAIL and TURBO modes. I set via the Mission Control Motor current to max and Turbo Mode to 100% (no battery or motor error was indicated). No difference at all!
This resulted in me walking to the top of the climb. I then rode the rest of the way back home slowly 55lb bike is no joke.
When I got home I looked the ride data on my Garmin Edge 1000 and found at the point of failure the Cadence and Power reading were zero and remained so for the rest of the ride.
I contacted Specialized UK again and they now have it in their workshop for repair and updates. I will update this post when I get the bike back, repaired or replaced.

On a another note I use the Garmin device to switch the Levo modes, and I find a delay when switching between modes, leaning down to manually change these modes is not an option as far as I am
concerned. The Garmin device being the best compromise I've found. The Garmin Edge 1000 has been faultless in operation, never missed a beat. Just got to get the bike in the same condition.

I just purchased and started to ride my Levo Export. It seems to rapidly drain my iPhone when using mission control. Does anyone else have the same issue. Start a 1 1/2 hour ride and phone was dead before I got home.

I have a 7 plus and it doesn't seem to run the battery down much I would think it may be a phone issue? Do you have the display of the phone on during your ride as I put mine in my pocket so the display is off after I make adjustments.

Hi Crush,
I've been riding a Levo Expert now for four months and when working it's great. I've been experiencing the following issue; when powering up the bike
I find no drive at all, Mission Control app does not indicate any errors. Normally switching the battery off and on cures the issue. This has been happening intermittently
now for two months. I contacted Specialized UK and they stated they hadn't hear of this issue. Well last Thursday we went out and on the second 800ft climb I had very limited drive,
and no difference in drive between ECO, TRAIL and TURBO modes. I set via the Mission Control Motor current to max and Turbo Mode to 100% (no battery or motor error was indicated). No difference at all!
This resulted in me walking to the top of the climb. I then rode the rest of the way back home slowly 55lb bike is no joke.
When I got home I looked the ride data on my Garmin Edge 1000 and found at the point of failure the Cadence and Power reading were zero and remained so for the rest of the ride.
I contacted Specialized UK again and they now have it in their workshop for repair and updates. I will update this post when I get the bike back, repaired or replaced.

On a another note I use the Garmin device to switch the Levo modes, and I find a delay when switching between modes, leaning down to manually change these modes is not an option as far as I am
concerned. The Garmin device being the best compromise I've found. The Garmin Edge 1000 has been faultless in operation, never missed a beat. Just got to get the bike in the same condition.
Hi, I have as well a Garmin edge 1000 , but I am not able to connect it with mission control. Do you know where I can find the process to do it
thank a lot
sylvain

Hi Crush,

Hi, had my Spec, Turbo Levo FSR since January, I have experienced the “no power” syndrome a couple of times now....I have noticed that the inside of the plug and socket that connects the battery wiring harness can get dirty even though the plug is pushed firmly in and should really be waterproof.

I have ordered some ‘Servisol Super 10 Switch Cleaner’ to ensure the gold pins and sockets within the plug are squeaky clean....will incorporate this into to my post ride clean schedule.

If fault continues, I will update this thread.

Hey guys. Sorry didn't receive emails about the thread for some reason.

There is a new power cable from Specialized that goes from the battery to the motor. I've had it replaced twice and the motor once.

Pretty annoying, seems the wiring needs refinement and some better shock absorption qualities... I particularly lose power in G-out situations. Like pedalling along a fire-trail and hit an errosion mound, suspension reacts and power cuts... not speed, maybe chain torque but i'd doubt it. Seems wiring to me is sensitive.

Has anyone tried di-electric grease for contact points inside? Would make sense, we do it on MX EFI systems.

Hey guys. Sorry didn't receive emails about the thread for some reason.

There is a new power cable from Specialized that goes from the battery to the motor. I've had it replaced twice and the motor once.

Pretty annoying, seems the wiring needs refinement and some better shock absorption qualities... I particularly lose power in G-out situations. Like pedalling along a fire-trail and hit an errosion mound, suspension reacts and power cuts... not speed, maybe chain torque but i'd doubt it. Seems wiring to me is sensitive.

Has anyone tried di-electric grease for contact points inside? Would make sense, we do it on MX EFI systems.

‘Servisol Super 10 Switch Cleaner", a lint free rag and fine pounted file to push rag into gold power socket pins solved power drop outs fro me.

Have a Turbo Levo FSR, now with about 800 miles. Have motor cut-off from time to time, and I relate it to motor temperature rise. Specialized says that the control starts cutting the motor power when the temperature reaches 170-180 F, but I notice it sometimes at 160 F. The default setting for the maximum motor current is 100%. What settings are recommended for this parameter? What is the typical setting for acceleration? Bike performs well except when a long ascent drives the motor temperature up, and then it starts cutting back. Also, the speed limit it 20 mph, but the control starts cutting back at 18 mph. Is there a fix? BTW, my first bike had all sorts of control issues, and Specialized replaced it with a complete new bike.

Thanks.

I have an Expert has only 400 kms on it but I have had a couple of power outages one when I was powering smugly past a road cyclist (typical). I pedalled a couple of rotations and it came back on and away I went. The other times it seemed to be related to me backing off to shift as I'm scared to break a chain or strip a cog and the system powers down I stop and pedal and all normal again. I think I have to refine my technique for the levo a bit but I will keep an eye on it.

I have an Expert has only 400 kms on it but I have had a couple of power outages one when I was powering smugly past a road cyclist (typical). I pedalled a couple of rotations and it came back on and away I went. The other times it seemed to be related to me backing off to shift as I'm scared to break a chain or strip a cog and the system powers down I stop and pedal and all normal again. I think I have to refine my technique for the levo a bit but I will keep an eye on it.

Yes, the power drops off when shifting, often even if you crash shift it, that is, keep pedaling normally through the shift. I find that it is best to anticipate a change and shift earlier than normal, and even to a lower gear than normal. I would think that the acceleration setting affects this, but haven't seen much difference. What level do you have your maximum current set to? I have emailed to the Mission Control address, but received no response. They were were quick to answer in the past. I wonder if they're overwhelmed? Regarding the power outage when pedaling, have a look at the motor temperature. When it gets much above 160F or 70 C, the motor control starts backing off. If you get to about 180 F or 82 C , the cutoff will be almost constant. If you have a chance to coast downhill after that, it will cool off, and operate normally.

I had a problem with my Turbo Levo HT Comp Fat with power shutting down or reseting after hitting hard bumps. They replaced the the Wiring Harness. That took care of the problem for me. The dealer said the had one other case of a bad harness since they took care of mine.

Yes, the power drops off when shifting, often even if you crash shift it, that is, keep pedaling normally through the shift. I find that it is best to anticipate a change and shift earlier than normal, and even to a lower gear than normal. I would think that the acceleration setting affects this, but haven't seen much difference. What level do you have your maximum current set to? I have emailed to the Mission Control address, but received no response. They were were quick to answer in the past. I wonder if they're overwhelmed? Regarding the power outage when pedaling, have a look at the motor temperature. When it gets much above 160F or 70 C, the motor control starts backing off. If you get to about 180 F or 82 C , the cutoff will be almost constant. If you have a chance to coast downhill after that, it will cool off, and operate normally.

Just a quick update, my Expert went another 100kms and hasn't worked since. I've returned it to the fantastic store I bought it from and they gave me the standard FSR off of the showroom floor to ride until mine is fixed. It's been about two weeks and should be back on the Expert this week.

2017 Levo Expert: Awesome, fun, motivating are my words around this bike.

Except when it decided to get ornery around the 800 mile mark, cutting out etc. etc. battery was replaced by S = cool. But, then it just got worse. Would cut off or not have power at beginning of the ride. I would fiddle with everything, and then it would fire back up, on and off... sound familiar?

The issue was / is the Wiring Harness - the short wire with the battery plug on one end and a connection to "our electronic friend" on the other.

But the backyard quick fix was a 6mm x 6mm piece of aluminum foil pushed into the female plug end, into the wiring harness holes. (btw, I am still running this 200 miles)

Upon inspection, when your bike gets "seasoned", you will see the plug holes get wallowed out. Just like when you replace your cogs and sprockets without replacing your chain... it is best to replace your wiring harness with a new battery, so new is on new.

Hope this helps. old fat dude with a nice bike =;- )

Back