Turbo (hub drive) metallic sound?

ROJA

I hear a sound when pedaling that almost sounds like a wire whisk moving around in a metal pan. Has anyone else heard this? Could it possibly be related to the motor?

(this is for a TurboX but it's basically the same drivetrain as all the GoSwiss/hub Turbos)

Did you look for a broken spoke? One might be broken and rubbing somewhere.

If it's not that or the freehub ratchet you might have something new.

It sounds like my Turbo S. More apparent when hub engine gets warmer (when pedaling hard for a while). Sounds like something gets in contact with the hub engine shell. Goes away momentarily when releasing pressure, but comes back again after pedaling hard. This sound is getting worse over time. No clue what it is but I'm worried that it will eventually lead to something more serious. I had an initial idea that this may be related to uneven spoke tension, but a very non-scientific test on spoke tension gave nothing. I have never had to change any spokes either. In August I asked the Specialized dealer to fix it when I had the bike in for service and replacement of the chainring/chain, but they said that they could not reproduce the sound. I did not pay attention to it then, but I realize now that the sound only comes after some 5-10 min of hard biking. I may have to revisit them later or hope that the cold Swedish winter keeps it in check until next spring.

@Jan Hermanson any update? I have the same issue and can't figure out what it is.

1. Doesn't start making the noise at first, only after riding for a couple of miles.
2. Sounds like a rubbing/scraping that is tied to cadence (pedal speed).
3. Happens even when I'm standing (if pedaling fast).
4. Continues even if I turn the assist to zero as long as I'm pedaling fast
5. Very hard to record on video or audio because it only happens at high speeds and the wind noise is louder than this noise

If you have recently changed the disk breaks, check that the bolts you've used are not too long. If the bolts are too long, they will touch the internal gear of the bike, making the noise or making the engine to "break" itself. Use the original bolts, or shorter than the ones that come with the new breaks. You can simply make the test by removing the rear disk break or loosen the bolts and try to see if there is any difference. If the wheel turns with a simple push of your hands, this means that its rotating without resistance.

I hear a sound when pedaling that almost sounds like a wire whisk moving around in a metal pan. Has anyone else heard this? Could it possibly be related to the motor?

(this is for a TurboX but it's basically the same drivetrain as all the GoSwiss/hub Turbos)

@Jan Hermanson any update? I have the same issue and can't figure out what it is.

1. Doesn't start making the noise at first, only after riding for a couple of miles.
2. Sounds like a rubbing/scraping that is tied to cadence (pedal speed).
3. Happens even when I'm standing (if pedaling fast).
4. Continues even if I turn the assist to zero as long as I'm pedaling fast
5. Very hard to record on video or audio because it only happens at high speeds and the wind noise is louder than this noise

I have a similar problem. I have two 2015 Turbos and both have the noise that begins after about 8 miles but only when pedaling. If I spin the pedals in reverse or pause pedaling it goes away. It then returns intermittently. The dealer can't seem to duplicate the problem.

@jwb is this the noise you had and did lubricating the freehub fix it for you?

Yes, this sounds very much like my freehub noise. I took it to the shop and they fixed it. I'm not sure exactly how. They said they lubricated the freehub. Since that doesn't square with my understanding of how a freehub is constructed, I remain confused. Nevertheless, my Turbo is now completely silent.

Before they fixed that I tried really everything else. I thought it might be the BB so I changed that, no difference. I thought it might be the motor case so I tightened all the bolts. I thought it could be the spokes. Etc.

What finally made me realize it was the freehub was I put the bike up on a workstand and turned the crank by hand with the power off. Then I could put my ear right up to it and it was obviously the hub.

Does anyone know what the problem is? I bought a second-hand turbo and I hear the same sound. And it is not the brakes. I removed them as a test, one by one, of course, and keep hearing it. When I stop pedaling and step backwards, it disappears to come back. What is it??

I have just e-mailed Rider Care at Specialized the following:
I have two 2015 Turbos (base model). After riding 3-5 miles I get a noise when pedaling that seems to come from the chain. If I stop pedaling, or pedal in reverse, it disappears for a few miles, only to return. Once again, stop pedaling or reverse and it goes away, only to return in a few miles, etc. This happens with both Turbos in Eco mode and pedaling with no assist. I don't ride enough in turbo mode to notice.
My dealer has not been able to duplicate it on the stand nor take it out for a 5 mile ride.
I have read some posts on Electric Bike Forum who seem to have a similar problem.
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/turbo-hub-drive-metallic-sound.14727/#post-160165
I hope you can help or forward this to someone who can.

My update: I took it to my dealer (Mikes Bikes) and they were very helpful in giving me a loaner rear wheel (including motor, spokes, etc.) to help isolate the noise. With the loaner wheel, the noise is gone! I'm going to report back and I hope this will yield a warranty claim.

Mikes Bikes in Berkeley is also the shop that solved this problem for me. Their mechanics seem to be OK on Turbo problems.

I have a similar problem. I have two 2015 Turbos and both have the noise that begins after about 8 miles but only when pedaling. If I spin the pedals in reverse or pause pedaling it goes away. It then returns intermittently. The dealer can't seem to duplicate the problem.
Finally, my dealer was able to locate the problem to the freehub. Cleaned it and it now seems fine.

Reactions: jwb
Back