Turbo Creo, Smart Control, and Garmin Edge - Work Together?

aebiker

Region
USA
I have a new Turbo Creo SL and would like to use the Smart Control feature. I use a Garmin Edge 520 with a Garmin Heart Rate Strap (ANT+, not BLE) to monitor and log my rides. I have the 520 set up with the E-Bike field by Jan Čapek, and it communicates with the bike’s sensors - it logs and reports, state of charge, assist mode etc.. I would like to keep using the Garmin, and logging my rides on Garmin Connect (plus Strava of course).

My questions:

(1) I haven’t had success connecting both my iPhone (Mission Control) and the Garmin 520 to the bike at the same time. Is it possible (or necessary for SC/MC) to ride with them both connected? My experience, I have to choose connectivity with the Garmin OR the iPhone (Mission Control). I prefer not to have and iPhone mounted on my handlebars.

(2) Has anyone had success setting up a ride in Smart Control, then disconnecting (Airplane Mode, then terminating MC?) then pairing the bike with the Garmin device for use during the ride? Do your Smart Control settings "stick"?

(3) Does Mission Control need to remain continuously connected for the bike to manage power via Smart Control?

I have a new Turbo Creo SL and would like to use the Smart Control feature. I use a Garmin Edge 520 with a Garmin Heart Rate Strap (ANT+, not BLE) to monitor and log my rides. I have the 520 set up with the E-Bike field by Jan Čapek, and it communicates with the bike’s sensors - it logs and reports, state of charge, assist mode etc.. I would like to keep using the Garmin, and logging my rides on Garmin Connect (plus Strava of course).

My questions:

(1) I haven’t had success connecting both my iPhone (Mission Control) and the Garmin 520 to the bike at the same time. Is it possible (or necessary for SC/MC) to ride with them both connected? My experience, I have to choose connectivity with the Garmin OR the iPhone (Mission Control). I prefer not to have and iPhone mounted on my handlebars.

(2) Has anyone had success setting up a ride in Smart Control, then disconnecting (Airplane Mode, then terminating MC?) then pairing the bike with the Garmin device for use during the ride? Do your Smart Control settings "stick"?

(3) Does Mission Control need to remain continuously connected for the bike to manage power via Smart Control?
Could you confirm your Garmin Edge 520 connects to your Creo by ANT+ (not by Bluetooth)?

My experience:
  • Vado SL (same system as Creo) and Vado 6.0
  • Wahoo ELEMNT Roam v1, Bolt v2, Roam v2
  • Android.
On any of the combinations as above I could connect Mission Control (by Bluetooth) and a Wahoo (by ANT+ LEV), and use Smart Control. An example:
1678069517764.png

1678069556548.png

In some scenario, I could see the Travel Mode (assist name) as SMART, and in other as TURBO for Smart Control on my Wahoo.

My brother rides a 2020 Giant e-bike with ANT+ LEV connectivity. He connects his Giant RideControl app from iPhone to his Trance E+ by Bluetooth, and his Garmin Edge 530 is connected by ANT+. No issues.

In case both your devices try to connect to the Creo by Bluetooth that will not work.

Yes, Mission Control/Smart Control has to be connected to the e-bike throughout the entire ride. It is Smart Control that does the calculation of current assistance.

Hi Stefan - thank you for sharing your experience.

I think the Garmin is communicating with the Creo via ANT+. I turned off Bluetooth on the Garmin, and everything was still talking - The 520 only lost connection to my iPhone. I also moved my bike into another room, away from my router and electronics and things are behaving better, probably due to reduced RF interference. I will experiment more with actual rides once the weather improves. It looks like all I need to use all of the Specialized features is a heart-monitor that supports BLE. Thank you again.

-Scott

What does having your iPhone disconnected from the Garmin achieve? (That is how I upload the Garmin info at the end of the ride, and how I see incoming text messages).

What does having your iPhone disconnected from the Garmin achieve? (That is how I upload the Garmin info at the end of the ride, and how I see incoming text messages).
Garmin Connect connects to your Garmin by Bluetooth from iPhone. Your Creo connects to Mission Control on your iPhone by Bluetooth, too. Bluetooth might not allow multiple channels. It is ANT+ that allows multiple channels.

For instance, I cannot have both Mission Control and BLEvo connected to my SL e-bike by Bluetooth at the same time.

You can upload your ride to Garmin Connect post ride, after disconnecting Mission Control.

Thanks ... I think the Garmin is talking to the bike over ANT+, and the iPhone is talking to the bike using Bluetooth. The iPhone should be able to use a single BT connection with the Garmin, but interesting observation with your Mission Control and BLEvo behavior. I will have to experiment more. Thanks again!

Just by way of my set-up (in case it helps): I have my Garmin edge (1030+) connected to my Creo SL via Ant+ (I have the velociraptor, so don't want to connect via BT) and my phone (android) is connected to my Garmin Edge (and the Edge shows messages and chats on the screen of the device). My phone is also connected (via BT) to the Creo via Mission Control and finally also connected (via BT) to my helmet (to receive phone calls and speak). All seems to work pretty well and seamlessly IME. I don't have my phone on my bars as there is no need for it - I see messages on my Garmin and can take calls via my helmet. All other adjustments for the power settings I can do with the remote control buttons (change power from Off/Eco/Sport/Turbo or microtune). I suppose if I wanted to do more adjustments via MC (which I don't ever) I would have to stop and get out my phone. But as I say, it all works just fine for my needs.

Just by way of my set-up (in case it helps): I have my Garmin edge (1030+) connected to my Creo SL via Ant+ (I have the velociraptor, so don't want to connect via BT) and my phone (android) is connected to my Garmin Edge (and the Edge shows messages and chats on the screen of the device). My phone is also connected (via BT) to the Creo via Mission Control and finally also connected (via BT) to my helmet (to receive phone calls and speak). All seems to work pretty well and seamlessly IME. I don't have my phone on my bars as there is no need for it - I see messages on my Garmin and can take calls via my helmet. All other adjustments for the power settings I can do with the remote control buttons (change power from Off/Eco/Sport/Turbo or microtune). I suppose if I wanted to do more adjustments via MC (which I don't ever) I would have to stop and get out my phone. But as I say, it all works just fine for my needs.
Thanks! That’s a lot of RF happening!

Back