Turbo Creo SL - Road Configuration vs. EVO

YoGe

I'm considering the differences between the road configuration and the EVO for gravel. I've been e-Biking for four seasons now on a Mountain profile - Bulls E-Stream EVO 2 (hardtail). I slimmed down the wheels from 3" knobby to 2" relatively smooth, in consideration of the fact that I'm riding 85% on road surface and only occasionally duck 'offroad' onto packed dirt or gravel. Anyway, that's where I'm coming from. I'm looking for something lighter and to get me back to my Cyclocross roots.

So I'm looking at the two Creo versions trying to figure out what's right for me. I definitely want the 38mm tire, that will still be narrower than what I'm currently riding. But I could get the road version and just swap the tires. I've never had a seat dropper post so I'm wondering whether this is worth anything to me. Does this add weight? If you are riding the EVO, do you ever use this? Or do you find that you don't have much use for it? How about the flared drop bars? Is this a wide flare? Do you feel noticeably more controlled due to the flare? Just wondering. Thanks for any advice you can offer!

I haven't ridden the road version but have ridden the Evo. For me, I'd go with the Evo. The dropper post is not long like on an Enduro bike but is actually quite nice for when you do hit the gravel and gives a better riding position for that. The bars aren't ridiculously flared either.

when you do hit the gravel and gives a better riding position for that.

Can you explain that? How do you adjust position for gravel? (Pardon my ignorance. I've never used a dropper post so I've never had a choice in the matter.) Thanks for your advice!

I test rode both the Creo road and EVO models. The dealer said the dropper post and wider tires added about 2 pounds to the bike. Other than the dropper post, flared bars, and wider tires, the two models are exactly the same (except for the color choices). I really liked the Ghost Pearl/Rocket Red color option of the road model so I order it. I worked out a deal with the dealer to swap out the 28 road tires for the 38 EVO gravel tires, set the tires up as tubeless, replace the Creo carbon seat post with the S-Works carbon post (built in shock absorber), and include the TCD display. I had a dropper post on my previous bike and rarely used it so I don’t miss it. I love the bike and wouldn’t change a thing.

This is about as unscientific an opinion as you’re ever going to see, but re the flared bars (which are not hugely flared, but definitely sloped out a bit): if you just sit at your counter and put your arms straight out in front of you at approx handlebar width with your hands vertical, you (or me, at least) can certainly feel a little tension in the wrist area. Flop your hands in a bit and it goes away or lessens. Now imagine that feel on a gravel road at 20 mph or more. Can it be that simple?

I was at my favorite LBS yesterday and they still have that beautiful EVO for sale there. Dropper post or not, that would be the way I would go on one of these. Tires are a good size, not huge, and everything just feels good sitting over it. Hard to go wrong either way, I think, but the EVO to me seems a lot more versatile.

When I test rode two Creos, one carbon and one aluminum, I could feel the difference in the weight on a really steep hill. I wonder if there is much of a difference between the carbon with 28s and the carbon with 38s. Anyone test ride both for a comparison?

I test rode the Creo Carbon Comp SL with both the 28's and the 38's up a moderate climb (about 1,500 ft in 7.6 miles) on a paved road. It felt much slower with the 38's, and I didn't like it as much. This wasn't the EVO build, it was the Carbon Comp with the tires off the EVO. Didn't try the aluminum Creo. I did try an aluminum Orbea - I don't know what the weight difference is, but I thought the Creo ride quality was far superior. Of course, that is to be expected with carbon vs aluminum.

The Future Shock pretty well cancelled out the front end difference between the aluminum and carbon frame for me. Both front ends felt great. In the rear it was another story. The carbon felt noticeably smoother, or less stiff, compared to the aluminum.

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but the topic seems to apply best to my question…..

So the tire clearance on a Creo SL vs a Creo Evo is actually the same, the only difference being the EVO is spec’d with 38mm tires?

I wonder if the aluminum frame Creo has an aluminum fork as well? Specialized website doesn’t seem to clarify that from what I can find.

The flared bars and dropper post on the EVO would be of little significance to me.

Found the answer regarding tire clearance in the Specialized FAQ section…..
Guess I should’ve dug a little deeper! 🙂
🚴

My new E5 aluminum Creo is running 700x42 Pathfinder Sports on it very nicely. Mr E-Levity here suggested them and they are working great.

Thanks, Dave. Would you know if your fork is aluminum or carbon on your E5?

Thanks, Dave. I’ve done a fair amount of digging (from my perspective, anyways) and really haven’t been able to discern anything.

Yep, according to this article, it’s carbon.

https://canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=35106&title=Specialized Introduces Turbo Creo SL Electric Road Bike

'The aluminum model uses E5 alloy with a carbon fork. Six sizes will be offered - XS (49), S (52), M (54), L (56), XL (58) and XXL (61).'

Besides, @Saratoga Dave ‘s paint scheme, I really like the color combo of my BIL’s Evo CC. I don’t recall if he’s ever been in a scenario where he’s employed his dropper.

IMG_20210810_1253463.jpg

I’ve often wondered how many actually use the dropper seat on their Evos. Then I realized perhaps more than one might initially think. During a recent outing on our FS bikes at the local MTB park, we met a ½ doz gravel bikers at the top of one the trails. I couldn’t say whether or not any of these guys took on the some of the more technical singles on their bikes but hats off to them if they did in particular if their rides didn’t come equipped with this feature. They were either extremely talented or insane. 🤪 I imagine there are different sub genres of gravel bikes to suit one’s particular terrain.

Yep, according to this article, it’s carbon.

https://canadiancyclist.com/dailynews.php?id=35106&title=Specialized Introduces Turbo Creo SL Electric Road Bike

'The aluminum model uses E5 alloy with a carbon fork. Six sizes will be offered - XS (49), S (52), M (54), L (56), XL (58) and XXL (61).'

Besides, @Saratoga Dave ‘s paint scheme, I really like the color combo of my BIL’s Evo CC. I don’t recall if he’s ever been in a scenario where he’s employed his dropper.

View attachment 124739

I’ve often wondered how many actually use the dropper seat on their Evos. Then I realized perhaps more than one might initially think. During a recent outing on our FS bikes at the local MTB park, we met a ½ doz gravel bikers at the top of one the trails. I couldn’t say whether or not any of these guys took on the some of the more technical singles on their bikes but hats off to them if they did in particular if their rides didn’t come equipped with this feature. They were either extremely talented or insane. 🤪 I imagine there are different sub genres of gravel bikes to suit one’s particular terrain.
I like it, too:

Creo in Sun backyard2.jpg

PXL_20210723_170642368.jpg

Versus the more plain vanilla, ahem, titanium...

PXL_20201119_210111802.jpg

Also, compare the forks between bikes. The yellow is STEEL!

OT, but this Niner mutant is kind of intriguing to me...

MCR 9 RDO​

View attachment 124744
I realize this post might be a bit OT but in the link below there is an in-depth review of the Niner MCR for any wannabe analog gravel slayers out there. It would be nice to add one of these to the fleet if it weren’t for the fact that it’s only available in three sizes. Nevertheless, being able to lock out the suspension on the fly is certainly appealing as is also the ability to run 700 or 650b tires.

An unbiased video comparing the differences/features between the Niner and the Cannondale Topstone Lefty.

Back