Turbo CREO Comp SL - XS (Updated pics)

Updated pictures. Replaced the stock wheels with DT Swiss HGC 1400 carbon wheels. Went with the 650b (27.5) wheel size. Installed 40mm tubeless tires. Replaced out the crank arms. Replaced back the 20mm offset seat post, and I think I'm done. Total weight (without Garmin and light) is 13.05Kg.

The 650b wheels help make the XS size frame more proportionate, and also adds more room for the wife's standover bike height. Wife's happy :)

View attachment 65231
Hello! I know this is a very old thread… but I found it recently when doing research about the Creo XS. Short of flying cross-country to go to the Spec Experience Centers, there’s no way for me to see an XS in person. Based on working with my LBS and some back and forth with Specialized customer care, I’ve determined it’s gonna be a close call on the standover height. My inseam is about 27.5”. So your post has really piqued my curiosity about the 650b wheels. Do you have a sense of how much lower the 650s made the standover?

My inseam is about 27.5”
Hi TLB,
You should determine your own true "standover height" because it is different from the inseam lenght. A human "standover height" is measured in cycling shoes, with legs slightly apart, from the floor to the crotch. That height is greater than the inseam length.

Hi TLB,
You should determine your own true "standover height" because it is different from the inseam lenght. A human "standover height" is measured in cycling shoes, with legs slightly apart, from the floor to the crotch. That height is greater than the inseam length.
Thanks, Stefan Mikes. I have been meaning to get myself, a tape measure and my cycling shoes all in the same place at the same time. Your post motivated me to get that done. Looks like I'm just at 28.5" with the shoes, which converts to just about 724mm. The Creo standover is listed as 728mm. But where that is measured on the bike matters. It seems too close to call just based on imprecise measurements. But if the 650 wheels drop the height a bit, that could be all the difference I need.

Thanks, Stefan Mikes. I have been meaning to get myself, a tape measure and my cycling shoes all in the same place at the same time. Your post motivated me to get that done. Looks like I'm just at 28.5" with the shoes, which converts to just about 724mm. The Creo standover is listed as 728mm. But where that is measured on the bike matters. It seems too close to call just based on imprecise measurements. But if the 650 wheels drop the height a bit, that could be all the difference I need.
I suspect it would be almost an inch lower. Pretty common for many mfgs to equip their xs models with 650B. See bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math for 700c / 28 mm tire vs 650 B / 28mm tire diameters.

One thing I would caution is not to rely on Specialized specs for standover sight unseen. Less of an issue for the creo since the top tube is relatively flat, but on the Tero Stefan and I have found discrepancy between listed standover specs between the US and Polish websites. In fact the user manual has an entirely different spec. We have both found that whereas the spec shows standover for a given size appears too high that actual test ride is ok.

One thing I would caution is not to rely on Specialized specs for standover sight unseen. Less of an issue for the creo since the top tube is relatively flat, but on the Tero Stefan and I have found discrepancy between listed standover specs between the US and Polish websites. In fact the user manual has an entirely different spec. We have both found that whereas the spec shows standover for a given size appears too high that actual test ride is ok.
Funny thing is the specs of the Creo SL E5 given in the Specialized website are totally wrong! (They seem to be correct for the model you've mentioned @TLB).

Hard luck. Probably no chance for a test ride, and you seem to be on the verge...

Reactions: TLB
Funny thing is the specs of the Creo SL E5 given in the Specialized website are totally wrong! (They seem to be correct for the model you've mentioned @TLB).

Hard luck. Probably no chance for a test ride, and you seem to be on the verge..

I suspect it would be almost an inch lower. Pretty common for many mfgs to equip their xs models with 650B. See bikecalc.com/wheel_size_math for 700c / 28 mm tire vs 650 B / 28mm tire diameters.

Thank you for the insight and the info. I am reluctant to make such a significant purchase without a test ride, of course, but your estimate of about an inch difference due to 650s is encouraging.

Thank you for the insight and the info. I am reluctant to make such a significant purchase without a test ride, of course, but your estimate of about an inch difference due to 650s is encouraging.

bikecalc shows 648mm vs 686mm diameter for 700c w/32mm tires vs 650b w/32mm tires... so the difference in the height of the axles would be half that difference, or 19mm. three quarters of an inch. not sure that's meaningful? most people go 650b on a creo in order to run bigger tires, like 50mm which of course totally neutralizes that change.

sorry, for late response... wife gets around 3/4+ inch of additional height. My wife, inseam is 27.5, doesn't include the height of bike shoes. This is with 650b 38mm tires. One thing to note, for some folks (like me and the wife) when unclipping (at stop light for example) we tend to angle the bike vs. having the bike perpendicular to the road?

The only drawback to 650B wheels is the selection of tire sizes available that are road specific and smaller than 38mm.

sorry, for late response... wife gets around 3/4+ inch of additional height. My wife, inseam is 27.5, doesn't include the height of bike shoes. This is with 650b 38mm tires. One thing to note, for some folks (like me and the wife) when unclipping (at stop light for example) we tend to angle the bike vs. having the bike perpendicular to the road?

The only drawback to 650B wheels is the selection of tire sizes available that are road specific and smaller than 38mm.
Thanks for the response and no worries on the timing - the info is still relevant and very helpful to me. And it was your original post that first clued me into the idea of the 650 wheels. So thanks for that too. I’m thinking I’d keep two sets of wheels - one for road, one for gravel. The 650s would fit nicely into that strategy. The added benefit of the extra height - every fraction of an inch helps - is excellent.

Thanks for the response and no worries on the timing - the info is still relevant and very helpful to me. And it was your original post that first clued me into the idea of the 650 wheels. So thanks for that too. I’m thinking I’d keep two sets of wheels - one for road, one for gravel. The 650s would fit nicely into that strategy. The added benefit of the extra height - every fraction of an inch helps - is excellent.
Remember to install a magnet for the second wheel set )

Back