Turbo CREO Comp SL - XS (Updated pics)

Updated pictures. Replaced the stock wheels with DT Swiss HGC 1400 carbon wheels. Went with the 650b (27.5) wheel size. Installed 40mm tubeless tires. Replaced out the crank arms. Replaced back the 20mm offset seat post, and I think I'm done. Total weight (without Garmin and light) is 13.05Kg.

The 650b wheels help make the XS size frame more proportionate, and also adds more room for the wife's standover bike height. Wife's happy :)

IMG_7088 copy.JPG

Last edited:
We are twins lol. I got the same bike and could not be happier. If I had known how much I loved this bike I would have got the expert. I do plan to upgrade to Di12 and some carbon wheels down the road, but the bike stores here are swamped for now. Only upgrade for now is a Fizik seat only because I am used to it.

I'm 61 years old, 6'1, and 210. I was a strong B group rider. In December I had a partial knee replacement and the doctor cracked my tibia. It had to be fixed by a new surgeon with a total knee replacement in February. I still cannot stand up in the saddle and hammer yet, but its coming along. I am using mountain bike pedals for a few more weeks as I am not ready for clip ons. Since I got this my knee extension has gotten to zero. It had been stuck at 3-5 degrees in rehab. Its done wonders for my flexibility. As well as my mental state as I had been a little frustrated. Its been a tough road and this puts a big smile on my face just looking at it.

A few random thoughts:

Any doubts I had about range and power quickly disappeared. In Sport I can easily do 22-24 mph on flats which is my happy zone. I love my Trek bikes but their version of this bike had a 20 mph limit. I do 20- 25 miles a day and range is never a worry. I could probably get 40 miles with a 10% reserve in the hills. I got the extra battery for when i start doing rides over 40 miles. If you are a healthy rider you could probably beat Lance Armstrong easily.

Love the light weight. I can drag this around and toss in my SUV like my Madone.

The mode select on the top tube is not a problem as for me it is set and forget. Sport mode is versatile and fine for 90 percent of my ride in rolling hills. I may go to turbo at the bottom of a long hill. And may go to eco in flats to get more exercise. But Sport mode is a blast. Maybe they can find a way to put it in the left shifter and still keep the stealthy look. But not a problem the way it is.

I have the Garmin Edge 530. It picks up three sensors on the bike. One for the bike and two more for power and cadence. I set two of the fields for battery remaining and power. The ride summary actually takes into account assist level for calories burned.

Quiet motor. Seems quieter that the others I demoed. A lower pitched hum and I cannot hear it when am in the 20s. Only the wind noise.

Disc brakes are smooth. Bike shop said no reason to upgrade as they are as good as Ultegras. The stem shack absorber is perfect for the lousy roads in Atlanta. A shock in the seat post is not necessary as it might take away from the stiffness. Plenty smooth.

The only nit I have is the gearing. Most of the time I am in the smallest cogs. I may get around to getting a ten tooth rear and maybe a larger front chainring if it is doable. But so far it is fine.

Thanks to all who posted here and helped me with this choice. Again, I could not be happier. Worth every penny....Mike

Welcome to EBR and thanks for your review. ;)

Updated pictures. Replaced the stock wheels with DT Swiss HGC 1400 carbon wheels. Went with the 650b (27.5) wheel size.

Installed 40mm tubeless tires. Replaced out the crank arms. Replaced back the 20mm offset seat post, and I think I'm done. Total weight (without Garmin and light) is 13.05Kg.

The 650b wheels help make the XS size frame more proportionate, and also adds more room for the wife's standover bike height. Wife's happy :)

View attachment 65231

View attachment 65232

Well done on the upgrades... the new Carbon 650 wheels look just right with the smaller frame.

If you want to lose more weight you will have to go with Ti fasteners... ask me how I know. ;)

Updated pictures. Replaced the stock wheels with DT Swiss HGC 1400 carbon wheels. Went with the 650b (27.5) wheel size. Installed 40mm tubeless tires. Replaced out the crank arms. Replaced back the 20mm offset seat post, and I think I'm done. Total weight (without Garmin and light) is 13.05Kg.

View attachment 65231

View attachment 65232
Looks great! Who ended up doing the wheel build?

My wife's new CREO Comp SL, size XS. Wife loves the bike, mainly because she can now ride with me on longer climbs (and even beat me up the climbs). She uses mode 1 for flats (25% assist and 35% peak) and mode 2 for climbs between 4% and 15% grade (35% power and 50% peak). At 15% grade, she's maintaining 6MPH (9.6kmh). Even with the assist, her heart-rate is still in the 140-150bpm. I enjoy it mainly because she gets to ride with me on routes that I normally would go solo.

Some pics of her bike. Installed Di2 shifters, Di2 XT derailleur, short reach handlebar, s-works seatpost 0-offset, and Terry Butterfly Ti saddle.

View attachment 65234

Where did you locate the Di2 battery? I can't find the one in my Turbo Creo Expert EVO. Not in the dropper post. Not inside near the TCU. Where is it?

Well done on the upgrades... the new Carbon 650 wheels look just right with the smaller frame.

If you want to lose more weight you will have to go with Ti fasteners... ask me how I know. ;)

Now you have me thinking and curious 😃. How much weight did you shave with TI fasteners?

Now you have me thinking and curious 😃. How much weight did you shave with TI fasteners?

Years ago, I went overboard and got my analog road bike below the UCI legal race limit of 6.8kg (14.99lb).

Certainly not essential for an eBike, but as a reformed weight weenie, it can be a fun challenge.;)

(Titanium pedal spindles can save a lot of weight along with other carbon fiber components)

14.36.PNGCrank Bros pedals 166 grams .JPG
1601690967089.png

Last edited:
Looks great! Who ended up doing the wheel build?

Thanks! I picked up the wheels second hand.

Where did you locate the Di2 battery? I can't find the one in my Turbo Creo Expert EVO. Not in the dropper post. Not inside near the TCU. Where is it?

Unfortunately, I installed the Di2 setup and i placed the battery in the seat post (this is a Comp SL model which originally had mechanical shifters).

Last edited:
Great looking bikes btw. I love the drink holders. Someone passed me last week on one of these while I was leisurely riding around the lake one morning. hmmmm seems like there are lots of bay area peeps here.

Initial Impression

Just picked up this bike in the same Satin Black. Was curious why such an awesome color had most inventory still available online while the other colors were sold out. A hint is noticable in the 1st photo in this thread, and was confirmed when I received my own bike. There are areas of this bike that appear unfinished particuarly where cables would enter the frame. I imagine this would not be visible on a painted version but it looks like this bike is "stained" black rather than painted so you will see how the carbon fiber is molded which could be somewhat offputting. Yes, this is a totally clean bike wiped down with a microfiber towel and the molding and sanding can be accentuated when lit from certain angles.

IMG_5302.jpg

Being 5'5", I ordered a size Small (5'4" to 5'7"). With sizes being unpredictable by manufactuer was hoping Specialized wouldn't be too large but seems to be perfect. Actually, it seems slightly smaller than my 50cm road bike by Kestrel with standover clearance about the same as my 48mm bike. The angle I'm at while seated seems a bit aggressive and resembles that of my racing bike so I will be leaning over more than I'm accustomed to for longer rides rather than being more upright on my endurance bike. Later after checking the box of accessories, there were additional stem risers/extenders for a more upright position.

In terms of weight, way lighter than my other eBike but compared to an analog carbon road bike, still quite heavy. I like the stock wheels but if the bike can be 400 grams lighter then I may consider upgrading. Tried to bunny hop over a speed bump which is easy on my analog carbon bike but barely touched the top of the bump on this Creo. I'm guessing small pot holes would be easy to clear.

Really cool how easy it was to setup the "eBike" sensor with my Wahoo Bolt to get power, cadance, assistance mode and battery power. The stock tires feel good and smooth, I'll be keeping those until they wear out. I have a Giant Quick E+ and while it's like "4x you" instead of "2x you" like that of the Creo, I was able to go faster on flats being more aero, light, and nimble. I made 5 eKOMs on this maiden voyage -- beating my previous eKOMs made on my Giant bike. Huge difference is going over bumps at high speed, the heavy aluminum Giant bike is painful and those body shocks build up over the course of a ride. The carbon fiber of this Creo just absorbs the bumps at high speed even without use of the shock stem. Wasn't familiar with the Shimano gravel derailleur nor shift levers but the precise shifting reminds me very much of the Ultegra gearset on my racing bike.

Will need to try assist modes on full battery power, picked it up from the shop at 44% capacity. After doing a good ride around the bay, I was crawling home up a 500 foot elevation at 3% battery capacity in what I thought was Turbo. Reading the docs, the motor defaults to Eco when the battery hits the 20% mark. Barely seemed like I had any assist and thought my regular analog bike of 18lbs may have been easier going up that same hill.

Did 21 miles, but thought it would be a quick 8 miles thus didn't put on any chamois cream under my padded shorts. Note to self, if I stay with this seat I'll definitely need to wipe myself down before going out.

Excited about doing tweaks in the mission control App, charging full power, and giving it another go.

IMG_5297.jpg

Second Ride on Full Charge

Did another ride on full charge the next day, liking this bike even more.

Found that Eco mode is sufficient in most situations if you want to look like a normal cyclist. Going in Eco into headwind, I've found that percentage only drops maybe 1.1% per mile. So this bike could do a 100 mile trip on flat terrain if you mix in a little non-assist mode when you get a good tailwind.

Going Turbo, you will draw stares from other cyclists speeding by as if you're in some Olympic time trial. Turbo is fast, and on the flats with tailwind it's easy to hit the upper 28mph limit. Hills were my main concern the previous day when I was stuck in Eco due to low battery power. This time, once I hit the hills I went from Eco to full Turbo and it was simple and similar to my high wattage Giant Quick E+. Still broke a sweat on the hills but never hit close to my maximum heart rate.

One thing I've noticed is the unnatural drop off in power when traveling at high speeds of mid-20's mph. If peddling hard at high cadance then tapering off to lower cadance I can feel the motor assist drop quickly like a rock. On the Giant Quick E+ with a Bosch motor, a similar drop in assist is more subtle and not really noticable.

More of a bug with the Wahoo Bolt software, and not the Creo but the Wahoo connection to the sensor "eBike" has failed to auto-pause on both rides thus far. I was wondering why my average was 13 mph while making so many eKOMs. Hopefully this does not affect rides on my analog bikes.

Factory seat is fine for short rides, but for longer rides I may need something more forgiving. Despite slapping chamois cream on my bottom, felt better than yesterday but my posterior is still slightly sore.

Total distance is 60 miles after two days so I may need a few rest days. Or not. 😁

(Editing as I recall more things)

Last edited:
Picked up this bike in the same color, in size Small. With sizes being unpredictable by manufacturer was hoping it wouldn't be too big but seems to be perfect. Actually, it seems slightly smaller than my road bikes by Kestrel. The dimensions are a bit aggressive and resembles that of my racing bike rather than my endurance bike.
Was able to setup the "eBike" sensor with my Wahoo Bolt to get power, cadance, power mode and battery power. Really cool how easy that was. The stock tires feel good and smooth, I'll be keeping those until they wear out then probably move to Continental Grand Prix 5000's. Likely, I'll keep the wheels. I have a Giant Quick E+ and while it's like 4x instead of 2x like this Specialized, the Creo was able to go faster on flats being so light and nimble. I made 5 eKoms on this maiden voyage -- beating my previous eKoms from my Giant bike. Huge difference is going over bumps at high speed, the heavy aluminum Giant bike is painful and those body shocks build up over the course of a ride. The carbon fiber of this Creo just absorbs the bumps at high speed. Wasn't familiar with the Shimano gravel derailleur nor shift levers but they shift reliably. The precision reminds me very much of the reliable shifting on the Ultegra.
Will need to try assist modes on full power battery, I was crawling up a 500 foot elevation when the battery was around 3% on my last stretch home. Barely seemed like I had any assist and thought my regular analog bike of 18lbs may have been easier going up that same hill. Overall, very pleased.

She is a beauty! 😍

1601447117463.png

Last edited:

View attachment 65231
Looks great. Curious if you can post front or rear facing photos to see the clearance between tires and frame/fork. I too have a small in this color.

Looks great. Curious if you can post front or rear facing photos to see the clearance between tires and frame/fork. I too have a small in this color.
Sure, coincidentally I took such pictures during last evening's ride.

IMG_5311.jpg IMG_5315.jpg

Last edited:
Initial Impression

Just picked up this bike in the same Satin Black. Was curious why an awesome color had most inventory still available online while the other colors were sold out. Also noticable in the 1st photo in this thread, there are areas of this bike that appear unfinished particuarly where cables would enter the frame. I imagine this would not be visible on a painted version but it looks like this bike is "stained" black rather than painted so you will see how the carbon fiber is molded which could be somewhat offputting. Yes, this is a totally clean bike wiped down with a microfiber towel and can be accentuated when lit from certain angles.

View attachment 67051

Being 5'5", I ordered a size Small for those 5'4" to 5'7". With sizes being unpredictable by manufactuer was hoping it wouldn't be too large but seems to be perfect. Actually, it seems slightly smaller than my 50cm road bike by Kestrel and about the same as my 48mm bike. The angle I'm at while seated seems a bit aggressive and resembles that of my racing bike so I will be leaning over more than I'm accustomed to for longer rides rather than being more upright on my endurance bike. Later after checking the box of accessories I see that they have stem extenders for a more upright position. In terms of weight, way lighter than my other eBike but compared to an analog carbon road bike, still quite heavy. I like the stock wheels but if the bike can be a pound lighter then I may consider upgrading.

Really cool how easy it was to setup the "eBike" sensor with my Wahoo Bolt to get power, cadance, assistance mode and battery power. The stock tires feel good and smooth, I'll be keeping those until they wear out then probably move to Continental GP 5000's. I have a Giant Quick E+ and while it's like "4x you" instead of "2x you" like that of the Creo, I was able to go faster on flats being more aero, light, and nimble. I made 5 eKoms on this maiden voyage -- beating my previous eKoms made on my Giant bike. Huge difference is going over bumps at high speed, the heavy aluminum Giant bike is painful and those body shocks build up over the course of a ride. The carbon fiber of this Creo just absorbs the bumps at high speed even without use of the shock stem. Wasn't familiar with the Shimano gravel derailleur nor shift levers but the precise shifting reminds me very much of Ultegra gears on my racing bike.

Will need to try assist modes on full battery power, picked it up from the shop at 44% capacity. After doing a good ride around the bay, I was crawling home up a 500 foot elevation at 3% battery capacity in what I thought was Turbo. Reading the docs, the motor defaults to Eco when the battery hits the 20% mark. Barely seemed like I had any assist and thought my regular analog bike of 18lbs may have been easier going up that same hill.

Did 21 miles, but thought it would be a quick 8 miles thus didn't put on any chamois cream under my padded shorts. Note to self, if I stay with this seat I'll definitely need to wipe myself down before going out.

Excited about doing tweaks in the mission control App, charging full power, and giving it another go.

View attachment 67001

Second Ride on Full Charge

Did another ride on full charge the next day, liking this bike even more.

Found that Eco mode is sufficient in most situations if you want to look like a normal cyclist. Going in Eco into headwind, I've found that percentage only drops maybe 1.2% per mile. So this bike could do a 100 mile trip on flat terrain if you turn off assistance, especially when you get a good tailwind.

Going Super or Turbo, you will draw stares from other cyclists speeding so fast as if you're in some Olympic time trial. Turbo is fast, and on the flats with tailwind it's easy to hit the upper 28mph limit. Hills were my main concern the previous day when I was stuck in Eco due to low battery power. This time, once I hit the hills I went from Eco to full Turbo and it was simple and similar to my high wattage Giant Quick E+. Still broke a sweat on the hills but never hit near my maximum heart rate.

One thing I've noticed is the drop off in power on lower cadance. If peddling hard at high cadance then tapering off to lower cadance I can feel the motor drop off quickly. Similar drop in cadance is more subtle and not really noticable on the Giant Quick E+ with a Bosch motor.

More of a bug with the Wahoo, and not the Creo but the Wahoo connection to the sensor "eBike" has failed to auto-pause this and the previous maiden voyage. I was wondering why my average was like 13 mph while making so many eKOMs. Hopefully this does not affect rides on my analog bikes.

Despite slapping chamois cream on my bottom, felt better than yesterday but my posterior is still slightly sore. Factory seat is good for short rides, but for longer rides I may need something more forgiving.

Total distance is 60 miles after two days so I'm somewhat sore and may need a few rest days. Or not. 😁

(Editing as I recall more things)

As to those pics of the weird 'stained' not so stained sections: EWWwww 😕

Here is the rear facing with 38mm tires (switched out the Schwalbe 40mm to the Panaracer 38mm, which were lighter and rolls a little better).

On a separate note, does anyone know whether a 650b x 32mm 'road' tire exist? I've searched and searched. I see a bunch of 700cc x 32mm, but looking for them in 650b size. The closest I found were the Schwalbe Pro One 650b x 28mm. So, looking for a 32mm version since the internal rim width of the DT Swiss is 24mm.

Wife and I primarily ride road pavements. Trying to find 650b tires that are lighter and rolls better (trying to extend battery range :)

Last weekend, we did a 65 mile ride (3,600 feet of ascent/descent) and she still had around 40% battery left (this is without battery range extender). The wife jumped between the two settings: 1.) 35% - 40% assist mode and 2.) 45% - 50% assist mode. We want to do a 100 mile route, but it's cutting it close. (yes, there is a battery range extender, but seems to be sold out).

Attachments

• IMG_7139.jpeg
    IMG_7139.jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_7140.jpeg
    IMG_7140.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 414
As to those pics of the weird 'stained' not so stained sections: EWWwww 😕

It's called Uni-directional UD carbon fiber and is one of the best composites available. ;)

1601691174889.png

Last edited:

View attachment 65231
I know this is an older thread but what kind of bottle holders are those? Thanks

Back