Tubeless Rims for RadRover

I started researching the same thing and wasn't able to find exactly what I wanted either. To answer your question, yes, some wheel builders can lace a 36 wheel hub to a 32 wheel rim. I found some wheel lacing patterns for that scenario online but I don't know in the real world if it's done much. I'd like a tubeless rim around 45-65mm so I can use 2.5" to 4" tires. I bought tubeless ready Maxxis Mammoth tires but the shop wouldn't mount them "ghetto style" to the existing rims when they realized it was for an electric bike. They said that tubeless tires on a rim not designed for it can fail catastrophically. I didn't want to argue so I just put the on myself with tubes. I'm not sure if they were paranoid and overly cautious or if that is a real thing but I decided not to take the risk going 25mph on asphalt.

It would be great if anyone can share their experience lacing up tubeless rims to the Radrover motorized wheel.

36h tubeless compatible rims are hard to source even for lesser widths. This is a major issue with hub motors converting to tubeless that I found out several years ago and I ended up getting some carbon fiber ones from an Asian company that one of them failed and had to get another and well it was a PITA overall so I don't recommend going that route. Although the final products are performing well after all the fuss.

However after that fact, and I thought I had checked them, Velocityusa made a rim that was tubeless ready that fit my desired i35 profile and it would have made life alot simpler. They only make up to a i45 internal width called the Dually but it is rated for 4" tires and would also be ok with a 2.8ish tire also. They come in 36h and finish options as well and Velocity rims are highly regarded quality wise so no issues there.

https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/dually-559

While there are only two hub motors that I know of at this time that use 32h drillings hopefully in the near future Bafang, Shengyi and others will get on board with the 32h pattern that has pretty much become the industry standard and that will open up many more options for tubeless compatibility for the future.

Back