TSDZ2 Road Bike Conversion

yungleen

Hello everyone,

I just completed adding a 750w tongsheng tsdz2 to a steel frame miyata road bike. Having fun with it so far but I need to work out some issues. Maybe people here can help.

My display turned off which also turned off the motor 6 or 7 times. I had to turn it back on each time. Any idea what could be causing this? Is there a setting I need to change? My sensor on the rear wheel seemed to be cutting off motor every time I built speed so I turned sensor to the side to see if it would work without it. Seemed okay, but maybe related to the display constantly turning off? After my ride, I disconnected the sensor and gave a quick test ride and bike appears to ride fine without it connected.

What are people using for their front chainring? I am on the stock ring but I feel like I need a bigger ring, 50 or 52 to get the most out of flat sections.

Any other suggestions, I would appreciate. My first time building an ebike.

Yes, I used the tongsheng because it is torque sensing. I still want more power though so I would like to try the bbshd.

Ya I have heard about that. I didn't go with that option because I thought it might be overly complicated. Probably should have tried.

In the end, I was completely disappointed in my TSDZ2 750W. So much so that I donated the bike KHS Smoothie, TSDZ motor, and 29E 13s battery, to a fellow living in a boathouse on a very skinny SS check.

Luna Cycle's TSDZ2 seems to have higher performance.

I wonder if they modified it?

Not sure. I bought the one you linked to from eco-ebike

Wow. I ended up selling mine. Was hoping for more power.
There is such a wide range of expectations which is why everyone's reported experience needs to be taken with a grain of salt by someone trying to decide on any ebike, kit or complete bike. I read all the time how owners of uber expensive, very low power, 35nm bikes feel that is plenty of assist while the 48v 750w TS with 100nm of torque disappointed others. I've tried the 36v 500w 80nm TS on a couple bikes and was very impressed with performance and battery range. Not a direct comparison because of different types of bikes/gearing/tires but seems in no way inferior power and refinement to my Yamaha PW-SE bike with 70nm torque.

Changing out gears every few thousand miles is easy least. Better to have a sacrificial gear. IMO.

Changing out gears every few thousand miles is easy least. Better to have a sacrificial gear. IMO.
Unless it sacrifices itself 20 miles from home 😁

I ran a brass gear from day one (installed by vendor) but I was running 52V 750W with opensource software and wanted to be able to play
with all sorts of things without having the blue gear let go. It was pretty noisy despite regreasing a few times.

It really needs a better gear design to be more robust/silent like the bbs02

yeah I don't like noisy motor.. so I guess BBS02 is superior motor?
I wouldn't know if the BBS02 is better or not but my TSDZ2 with the plastic gear is not noisy. At times I couldn't hear it at all above tire/road noise when I had it on my Dahon Jack, even riding at a 20-22mph. Riding a regular bike next to my wife with the motor on her Dahon Briza it is nearly silent at lower assist levels and noticeable but not loud at higher assist. The metal gear apparently makes more noise. Again, perceptions might vary between different individuals.

If you want or need higher power the BBS02 is significantly more powerful per Thomas who has owned and ridden both. You give up the torque sensor feature and carry a couple pounds more weight with the Bafang. Might not make a difference to some but I wanted to avoid the added weight and a torque sensor was a requirement for me/my wife (we've ridden both cadence and torque sensor bikes).

To me the worst feature of these add on kits is that the chainring side housing sticks out from the bottom bracket which displaces the chainline outward, it looks like both the bafang and the TS are similar in this regard but I'd be interested in what Thomas has to say about it. Does the Bafang use a dished chainring to improve the chainline some? . For the same reason the right side crank arm is displaced further out than the left so the pedal position isn't symmetrical. I didn't notice it when riding, a flat crank used on the right side might reduce this some.

I was wondering about the cranks, I'm about to order a kit but not sure about the crank option offset some offer.

Also are most people resigned to ordering/adding the OS firmware or is anyone happy with the motors in the stock form? I was hoping for a temp sensor but see that would require OS so no warranty...warranty may be not so important anyway.

I was wondering about the cranks, I'm about to order a kit but not sure about the crank option offset some offer.

Also are most people resigned to ordering/adding the OS firmware or is anyone happy with the motors in the stock form? I was hoping for a temp sensor but see that would require OS so no warranty...warranty may be not so important anyway.
what, if anything, did you decide to go with?
eco-cycles has several options including a pre-installed temp sensor or $20 for parts to do it yourself as well as a flat crank option to use for the chainring side.

They will answer your questions and seem open to custom orders.

Yes I did, I was about to press the enter key on an order for a TSDZ2 OSF kit with ECO (great people, David has been awesome) when I got an email ding from an inquiry I made on a Yamaha Moro MTB. He said 20% off a Yami powered Hiabike MTB that NOBODY has or will have for quite a while. I was weak, I tried to run...failed, so embarrassed, it'll be here Tuesday.

The main thing I was worried about is the reduced clearance on a MTB, it just hangs sooo low, I desperately wanted it to work. The idea of paying these ridiculously inflated, artificial prices for EMTB is akin to people paying the insane valuations for stocks these days. WTF do you do? Get in or watch it go by, I was weak.

Nice bike! Definitely out of the DIY kit league. I agree prices seem high but they are what they are, take it or want it. You got a deal on a great bike, enjoy.

Back