Trying to construct a custom cassette

RoyL

In the process of putting the final touches to a second BBS build, this time the HD version, and to be honest all i would need with this thing is five cogs in the rear at the very most, the torque with the HD is something else. It`s a complete waste of time clicking through them all.

There`s a cheapy ETC 7 speed cassette in there at the moment and i have a couple of spare cassettes i`ve taken apart so i`d like to have a 32 or 34T and either a 11 or 12T at both ends. Can i add the other cogs by just packing out with those spacers?

And how would all this work with a 7-speed shifter?

Anyone done this? Or better to go IGH?

Why not just drop thirty bucks and get what you need in a cassette instead of piecing something together or going the complete opposite way and dropping a couple hundred bucks on an igh?

Seven speed cassettes aren't going to break the bank!

thanks pxpaulx, the point is i don`t want 7 speeds, at the most i want five only, possibly four.
It`s how to get them spaced out on the existing cassette and what spacers and where to use them etc.

I have an Alfine 8 on my other BBS02 and it`s always a case of double shifting

Gotcha! That would certainly be interesting. Spacing would probably be there biggest issue, and older cassettes wouldn't have that kind of range. Good luck!

My 5 speed rear sprocket from 1986 is 29 to 14, same range as the 7 speed these days. I don't like the extra speeds either, down shifting with the index SIS has put a water bag over my thumb tendon. I can't find new 5 speed sprockets for sale, and the salvage one I picked up on garbage day is stuck on the rusty hub.
Be aware 5 speed sprockets clusters were .115" thick, 7 speed is about .090". So the old sprockets won't fit new grocery store chain. They are not specifying chain widths on the web suppliers, but I think you can still get the wider chain at industrial supplies.
I bought a Sturmey Archer S80 8 speed IGH, have just got it in a wheel. I'd of liked a 5 speed but they weren't in stock anywhere. At least the shifter is twist, not thumb downshift index. If you want one, ($185) it took 256 mm spokes to fit it in a 26" alloy wheel. The spoke calculator got 261 which didn't work. I had to use a coupla extra long nuts (16mm) so buy a bag in the same box or try 257 spokes. Different wheels may need different length of course.

Last edited:
Back