Trump Tariffs: +25% all China bikes and Components to USA. Market disruption for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tariff is off on complete eBikes. Handlebars is simply another nom de plume blathering in anonymity.

It's not off according to the latest news. It's agreed to phase it out. So the declaration was more bunk from the addled.

In any case it was hysteria with the same drink-fueled rage-pouting upon questioning.
In a move that nearly the entire US electric bicycle industry is cheering, a new agreement between the US and China is set to end the electric bicycle trade war.

We’re already seeing big Black Friday discounts on electric bikes, and this move could keep the low e-bike prices coming.

Say ‘goodbye’ to the Trump e-bike tariffs

China’s Ministry of Commerce announced that an agreement had been reached with the Trump administration last week.

The move would see a phasing out of tariffs imposed by both China and the United States, including electric bicycle tariffs.

The original tariffs set by the Trump administration levied an additional 25% tariffs on electric bicycles and e-bike components imported from China.

Last edited:
Hi.
Well, he didn't actually call me a liar. Thanks though!
I'm all for them doing their thing as far as the mild stuff. mocking or name calling. That might be a healthy release for them.
It's an hysterical mentality that has been seeded into them by decades of word trickery. Words are tricky. Normal people easily fall prey.
Example: global warming.
It becomes symbolized by CO2 emissions causing warming effect.
Even if temperatures go down, and for however long, it is still warming. They will say because the effect continues always while the CO2 is increasing. So it's still global warming either way the thermometers go.
That kind of mind melting logic has been done and done to them.
At this point they say that melting ice is a sign of global warming.
They have forgotten that "warm" does not mean "warming"
They cannot connect to the memory that if you take something out of the freezer to defrost overnight, it melts even if the room temperature goes down overnight.
So it gets very messy upstairs for them, if you know what I mean :) It's very difficult to sort out once you've bought in or even if you resist. The climate science language is a beauty of deceit. It's highly skilled psych, really.

Then they can spring it again to churn the brainmush: "emissions caused 150% of the observed global warming".

"other factors were cooling at the same time"

:)

They have a heavy load...

...so they beg to be charged extra.

Last edited:
Handlesbar - you said China is paying for the tariffs. You imply this is done by devaluating their currency. In the end you are saying the US purchaser has a reduced price and when they pay the tariff they are no worse than before.

Maybe I didn't say it correctly. The currency is not dropping. A Yuan is worth .14 USD today and one year ago it was worth .14 USD. Earlier this year it was at .15 but it has gotten stronger.

Tariffs are not effective. No amount of tariff is going to force China to buy goods made in the USA. They have a tremendous labor advantage. The president is taking the wrong path.

Handlesbar - you said China is paying for the tariffs. You imply this is done by devaluating their currency.
Thank you for your sensible posts. I said devaluing currency and pumping money into their businesses.

In the end you are saying the US purchaser has a reduced price and when they pay the tariff they are no worse than before.
I didn't say that. I explained how the opportunity is there but also how the opportunity can be lost. Why would they allow sellers to break rank on pricing if they see fools who blame themselves for the world ending in 11 years? They see the morons just begging to pay the highest price. They see the screaming to be supertaxed on a 100 % necessary commodity to save the world before it ends in 11 years.

Maybe I didn't say it correctly. The currency is not dropping. A Yuan is worth .14 USD today and one year ago it was worth .14 USD. Earlier this year it was at .15 but it has gotten stronger.
Thank you. On any graph where there are ups and downs, that always depends on where you draw the line from and to, in order to say it dropped or rose up. Always past tense. For example:
Investopedia
On August 5, 2019, the People's Bank of China set the yuan’s daily reference rate below 7 per dollar for the first time in over a decade. This, in response to new tariffs of 10% on $300 billion worth of Chinese imports imposed by the Trump administration, set to go into effect September 1st, 2019.

Tariffs are not effective.
That's quite wrong as a blanket statement, but generally a tariff could indeed have unwanted effects.

American dairy products have been tariffed in Canada happily for years on years on years. Trump broke some of that down.
Wisconsin Agriculturist: https://www.farmprogress.com/dairy/does-canada-really-charge-270-tariff-milk
Does Canada really charge 270% on milk?
On some dairy imports, yes. Canada essentially allows two avenues for dairy imports -- those within quota, and surplus stuff. It’s the latter where tariffs spike, because Canada’s whole system is built to avoid a surplus -- hence its name, “supply management.”

Take milk, for instance. Within quota, the tariff is 7.5%. Over-quota milk faces a 241% tariff. Other over-quota rates include blended dairy powder at 270%. Duties rise to as high as 314% for other products, according to data from the World Trade Organization. Canadian officials argue that all countries subsidize dairy, including the U.S. -- Canada essentially does so indirectly by closing its borders and capping product.
If you’ve got a slice of the quota, though, the tariffs don’t apply. And Canada has given up slices of its market in trade talks. (Including in the Trans Pacific Partnership trade deal that Trump quit
Trump did great for his country when he used the magic wand.
I hope to be enjoying some of that famous Wisconsin cheese soon!

ATTN:
Canada has given up slices of its market
Given up slices of its market. Serious knee bend.
"The announced concessions on dairy in the new USMCA deal demonstrates once again that the Canadian government is willing to sacrifice our domestic dairy production when it comes time to make a deal," said Pierre Lampron, president of Dairy Farmers of Canada.
One of the cherished things here about keeping American Big Farma :) out of the Canadian market is that Canada has historically somewhat higher standards. For example on feces to be fed to the animals. And disclosure on hormone or GM content and treatments.

Last edited:
Well other than Rad saying they had to raise prices, who else actually did. I import lithium batteries and I got hit too. But guess what, China wrote a lesser value on the invoice, without going crazy, and that made my tariff bill low enough that I never raised my prices to my customers. I was also hit with a 10% bill and not 25%. I suspect they did the same for some of these bike company's that never raised there prices too. And why Rad all of a sudden claimed they were lowering there prices back to normal. And I will say the fact that the tariffs are going away so quickly tells me that the tariffs did there job correcting a wrong that China was imposing on us.

Well other than Rad saying they had to raise prices, who else actually did. I import lithium batteries and I got hit too. But guess what, China wrote a lesser value on the invoice, without going crazy, and that made my tariff bill low enough that I never raised my prices to my customers. I was also hit with a 10% bill and not 25%. I suspect they did the same for some of these bike company's that never raised there prices too. And why Rad all of a sudden claimed they were lowering there prices back to normal. And I will say the fact that the tariffs are going away so quickly tells me that the tariffs did there job correcting a wrong that China was imposing on us.
Until the deal is signed, I'm not holding my breath - we've been here many times before, only to have things fall apart.

Tariffs are not effective. No amount of tariff is going to force China to buy goods made in the USA. They have a tremendous labor advantage. The president is taking the wrong path.

Here again we agree on facts but not in viewpoint.
How I see it is like this.
No amount of tariff is going to force China to buy goods made in the USA
Generally speaking, I agree.
They have a tremendous labor advantage.
Double agree. They have labor and they have lots of fresh organs on demand. They put heart into the job.

The president is taking the wrong path.
This is where viewpoint matters.

Greencat, you seem to me to be of the view that forcing the other to buy American is the sole objective of tariff.
Don't forget that Trump's clear and spoken objective all the way - all the way - is for American manufacturing to be made economically very rewarding again. Even domestically, that would be nice. Right?

Tariffs can help domestic manufacturers in the short term but does nothing to help them compete in a global market. 95% of the world's consumers live outside the US.

Tariffs can help domestic manufacturers in the short term but does nothing to help them compete in a global market. 95% of the world's consumers live outside the US.
Isn't having a successful domestic seller market one step to building international market seller?
Remember, this goes all the way up the chain to having American steel great again. American Aluminum. American quality.
And downstream. Small businesses and local businesses selling and servicing American product.

Last edited:
This thread is getting out of control. I'm closing it from further replies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back