Trouble finding someone to work on your ebike

Alaskan

This sign was by the front door of our local Trek store - corporate owned but great local crew up front and in the shop.

20210803_132752.jpg

Both of my local Trek shops are locally owned. One will work on anything mechanical, and many electrical things. Other one will only service Trek and Electra, the brands they sell.

Both of my local Trek shops are locally owned. One will work on anything mechanical, and many electrical things. Other one will only service Trek and Electra, the brands they sell.
Any bets on which shop will be more successfull/around the longest?

Nope. The established shop ( 10+ years in business) is the one that only works on the two brands they sell. The other is maybe 3 or 4 years old. Both seem to have good reputations.

Our local shop, Tour of Nevada City, opened in 1969. They are a Specialized dealer, but will service any brand and can special order just about any part. Other shops have come and gone, but Tour continues to be successful with a high level of technical skill, consistent customer service, and community support.

The shop was recently sold to its 3rd owner. The polices that made Tour successful are being continued. It helps that the 2nd owner continues to work at the shop custom fitting bikes and orienting the new owners to the ways of a small town.

Our local shop will service anything on the mechanical side. Electrically, they are a Cannondale dealer, and won't touch anything else.

The company that built my ebike is local and they service them. Nice to be able to take it to the place that builds them for anything if needed.

I am the repair shop. I work on anything in my garage.
I am the repair shop as well when it comes to all the bike stuff. When it comes to the Bosch bits that are still under warranty, I stay hands off and look for certified, outside help.

20210731_075107.jpg

The shop I work at sells Trek and Spec as actual dealership level with a couple of other brands on personal customer request order. We work on any pedal-only bicycle, trike, quad, etc. We will work on the bicycle components of other brands of ebikes but not their motor or electrical hardware...ran into too many headaches with that. We will not work on those gasoline conversion bikes. Nothing against the gasoline part as some of us are motorcycle people. It's the liability and completely funky engineering on most of them.

So far no major work has been needed but the numerous Trek dealers (at least 3 within 45 minutes) in my area have been more than willing and able. I’ve had two other different Trek dealers within 2.5 hours (on my route to relatives I visit often) do minor adjustments and software updates.

A couple of years ago, I had a blowout on my rear tire. The first ebike dealer I called closest to my condo in Englewood, FL told me they would only work on brands they sold. Then started to lecture me on why I should buy local. I found a dealer in Punta Gorda that would do it, but they also said they could not work on anything electrical other than the brands they sold. I think they charged me about $60.00.

Had I been at my primary residence, I could have replaced it in my garage, but the condo association has rules about repairing any vehicle in the parking garage and the wife has rules about doing it inside the condo. (repairs).

Back