Trek xm700+ three month ownership

wymapper

I've had my xm700+ for about 3 months riding it at 6400' about 3 times a week. At my age, 70 plus, I find it's a great ride, removes wind - have ridden it in 20mph headwind, with 30mph gusts, can easily maintain 15 mph, but steep hills brings it down to 10mph in turbo mode. Twenty mph headwinds cuts the battery range in half. I find myself riding in the higher 4-5 gears, in eco or touring mode mostly in hilly areas, with higher assist on steep hills. On public bike trails I turn the assist off, to keep my speed down. I get two 25 mile rides out of the 400w battery, with one bar left. I have made a few enhancements including a 3" rise in the head set to release pressure on my hands, better pedals, bike rack, tail light. The 38mm tires are big enough for packed dirt. The hydraulic disk brakes are great. I feel the chain may have replaced after a few thousand miles due to play during shifts, and the change from freewheel to pedal. I like the computer, but wish it would connect to a smart phone, the bike has charging for phones. Even with my age I can get 28mph on flat rolling roads with higher assist, sport or turbo. I got the large 60 frame for my 6' 1", but would buy the 55cm size because of my age. This bike is great, especially for long commutes or if you want to reduce stress in wind or hills. The accessories I'll add are seat post cushioning and a 500w battery.

Nice review ... I feel same way about my ride ... My bike display doesn't communicate with smartphone iether so I mounted a front frame bag that has a window for cell phone ... Allows use of gps etc. And has a little storage underneath

Attachments

• IMG_20161029_100040.jpg
    IMG_20161029_100040.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 707
I've had my xm700+ for about 3 months riding it at 6400' about 3 times a week. At my age, 70 plus, I find it's a great ride, removes wind - have ridden it in 20mph headwind, with 30mph gusts, can easily maintain 15 mph, but steep hills brings it down to 10mph in turbo mode. Twenty mph headwinds cuts the battery range in half. I find myself riding in the higher 4-5 gears, in eco or touring mode mostly in hilly areas, with higher assist on steep hills. On public bike trails I turn the assist off, to keep my speed down. I get two 25 mile rides out of the 400w battery, with one bar left. I have made a few enhancements including a 3" rise in the head set to release pressure on my hands, better pedals, bike rack, tail light. The 38mm tires are big enough for packed dirt. The hydraulic disk brakes are great. I feel the chain may have replaced after a few thousand miles due to play during shifts, and the change from freewheel to pedal. I like the computer, but wish it would connect to a smart phone, the bike has charging for phones. Even with my age I can get 28mph on flat rolling roads with higher assist, sport or turbo. I got the large 60 frame for my 6' 1", but would buy the 55cm size because of my age. This bike is great, especially for long commutes or if you want to reduce stress in wind or hills. The accessories I'll add are seat post cushioning and a 500w battery.

Nov 8, 2016-- I just found out Bosch (https://www.bosch-ebike.com/en/components/nyon/) has a new full functioning computer (Bosch Nyon @£449.990 ($402) with GPS, mapping and Bluetooth connectivity to Smart Phones that is supposed to be available in the near future. The main holdup is mapping it to the XM700+ and Bosch motor. There is a Trek Shop in England that camp map the computer, but you have to buy a bike from them. The Nyon is available in England and Europe from last year, and I hear they may be available in the US late 2016. I use an Apple Watch linked to an iPhone7 now and it gives you some map functionality and Heart Rate, most if the info is only easily available after the ride on the iPhone. I hope to get it for my Winter base in Tucson

The Nyon (pronounced Neon) is very trick indeed. I would love to get it added to my bike but alas someone posted here that it's probably not coming to the USA anytime soon, I hope they are wrong.

I did purchase a COBI which, if it worked, would have most if not all of the features for much less money.

I just love the 700, makes me feel like a kid again.

jeff

Great post. It's excellent to hear how riders are integrating the bikes into their lives and the feedback as time goes on. It does seem like the Nyon isn't coming to US at this point. I think we'll have to wait till the end of next summer for more updates on model year 2018 from Bosch. I think we'll eventually see something which replaces Nyon all together.

I did purchase a Nyon from Europe and it was delivered in about a week. Installed it without any issues. I even "needed" the map as I got seriously lost the first time out :). I'll put the COBI on a different bike if they ever get the firmware working.

jeff

Back