Trek XM700+ rear fender-good for rider, bad for follower

Alan Acock

The reviews indicated these were plastic and might be a problem. One problem I've noticed riding in western Oregon rain is that the rear fender is way too short on the back and the poor guy behind me gets quite a spray from my rear wheel. I like the way the front fender works and the rear fender does a good job on the front side (around the motor). I am looking for an old plastic rear fender this size so I can cut a section off it and rivet it to the back of my rear fender.

I had a very nice handlebar bag that I cannot install because the computer and cables get in the way. I've always liked a front bar so I cold get to things, e.g. phone camera, while riding.

I'm in my 70s and not interested in speed, so I have been using the eco mode except for hills. We are a fairly hilly area, but most of them are still okay in the tour mode. I weight 210 pounds and am able feel comfortable of getting a 50 mile ride on one charge.

Although the XM700+ is promoted as "light." Its weight of 46 pounds still seems needlessly heavy. The battery and motor together way about 13-14 pounds. This means that without the power assist the bike wights about 33 pounds. There is a lot of room in the future to develop bikes that weight 20 pounds without the motor/battery and then the total would be about 33 pounds rather than 46.

You should consider upgrading to the PDW fenders. They now have a black set that would look slick on that bike.

I'm not sure what handlebar bag you have, but if it's an Ortlieb bag there is an adapter to use it with the Bosch system. Ortlieb has some great handlebar bags for cameras and such.

I agree there could be some improvements in the weight, but it would probably bring the price up.

You should consider upgrading to the PDW fenders. They now have a black set that would look slick on that bike.

I'm not sure what handlebar bag you have, but if it's an Ortlieb bag there is an adapter to use it with the Bosch system. Ortlieb has some great handlebar bags for cameras and such.

I agree there could be some improvements in the weight, but it would probably bring the price up.
Can you send me a URL for the attachment.

I also live in the PNW and I am sure you have seen the serious road bikers setups that extend their fenders almost as far as touching the ground. It seems like the options to do so are only limited by the riders imagination. I haven't inspected any closely but it looks like they take political signs and cut strips from them. I saw one the other day that said RUMP on it.

I have SKS 50mm fenders on my bike and they make an additional flap that attaches to either the front or rear (I got both which also add an element of flair). I never follow myself nor have anyone yet to follow me so I can't say if the rear one works for others but the front one did add additional protection for the bb area I noticed. I rode around at the SSCXWC held near my home the other day and it was pretty muddy and they only got clogged up once enough where I had to stop and clear them out. Did take awhile with a hose and brush to get them totally cleaned out again though. In general I can ride through standing water without getting any on my person except for maybe my feet which have water proof boots on anyway.

IMG_3198.JPG

It is generally not considered PC to ride in the mud but the event took place on a farms fields that will just be turned under anyway.

Instead of a handlebar bag you might consider the kind they call a top tube bag. I got a cheap one from Amazon that has a clear cover for the phone so you can see if there is any activity on it while you are riding and easy access for that quick photo op. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186K6RS4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You should consider upgrading to the PDW fenders. They now have a black set that would look slick on that bike....
I have PDW fenders on my regular bike and love them. But I seem to recall they are pretty limited on tire sizes they will fit. My Spot has 700x35C tires. Maybe PDW has various models.

Attachments

• SpotChampa3.JPG
    SpotChampa3.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,779
Back