Trek Verve vs. Juiced CrossCurrent S

Hans Disch

I'm buying a bike for my wife (replacing her Trek Neko). We're looking at the Verve and the CrossCurrent S. I know we're not really comparing apples with apples. Valero being a Class 1 (20 mph) and the CrossCurrent a Class 3 (28 mph w/thumb throttle). Reading the reviews of the Juiced models with its quality problems make me a little bit hesitant but on the other hand the price is very appealing. Does anybody know both models and can give us some guidance?

I have had no mechanical issues with my two month old Juiced CCX. I did have to replace the controller because a batch was shipped with the incorrect firmware. I only have a couple hundred miles on it but it has performed to my expectations so far. It's very powerful and fast and the battery lasts FOREVER.

I'm buying a bike for my wife (replacing her Trek Neko). We're looking at the Verve and the CrossCurrent S. I know we're not really comparing apples with apples. Valero being a Class 1 (20 mph) and the CrossCurrent a Class 3 (28 mph w/thumb throttle). Reading the reviews of the Juiced models with its quality problems make me a little bit hesitant but on the other hand the price is very appealing. Does anybody know both models and can give us some guidance?

Hello,
I have no specific knowledge about the Trek Verve, but I do own two other Trek eBikes, A Trek XM700+ and a Trek Powefly7 MTB with 4200 combined miles. I
absolutely love both bikes and have zero problems in a year and a half. Trek Support is great....

Regarding thumb throttles , again I have no specific knowledge nor have I used one. Recently there was a thread discussing thumb throttles,
both the good and bad. I recall in the post there was a discussion about potential acceleration issues, safety and rider skill. Since you're considering a Class 3 - 28mph
bike I encourage you to read up on thumb throttles.

I love my thumb throttle! I use it all the time. I accelerate from stoplights and stop signs using it and I'm at 20mph in a couple seconds and ahead of the cars so they can see me. I use it to go up hills. I use it any time the bike is completely stopped. I just thumb the throttle and begin pedaling. I can't imagine having a bike without one. I'd feel like I was missing out - especially now that I've had a bike with one.

I have had no mechanical issues with my two month old Juiced CCX. I did have to replace the controller because a batch was shipped with the incorrect firmware. I only have a couple hundred miles on it but it has performed to my expectations so far. It's very powerful and fast and the battery lasts FOREVER.
Thank you.

I love my thumb throttle! I use it all the time. I accelerate from stoplights and stop signs using it and I'm at 20mph in a couple seconds and ahead of the cars so they can see me. I use it to go up hills. I use it any time the bike is completely stopped. I just thumb the throttle and begin pedaling. I can't imagine having a bike without one. I'd feel like I was missing out - especially now that I've had a bike with one.
Hello,
I have no specific knowledge about the Trek Verve, but I do own two other Trek eBikes, A Trek XM700+ and a Trek Powefly7 MTB with 4200 combined miles. I
absolutely love both bikes and have zero problems in a year and a half. Trek Support is great....

Regarding thumb throttles , again I have no specific knowledge nor have I used one. Recently there was a thread discussing thumb throttles,
both the good and bad. I recall in the post there was a discussion about potential acceleration issues, safety and rider skill. Since you're considering a Class 3 - 28mph
bike I encourage you to read up on thumb throttles.

Thank you for your input. I did read up a little more about thumb throttles and it's not what we'd like. The Class 1 (assisted) is the way we want to go. I know there are lots of bikes similar to the Verve (low step version), anybody recommends a such a model (price range around $2000)?

Love my Verve and got it on sale for $2,100. We have a good local Trek dealer so that pushed me toward the Verve. Also considered the Giant Quicke but the cost was more and I wasn't really concerned about the class 3 speed. Just needed help with the hills. CCS & CCX look like good bikes but I wanted local support if something went wrong.

Tim859: Trek has a reputation for not activating the 'walk mode'. Does yours have a walk mode activated? Also, how is it 'getting off the line' at stop signs, etc. without a throttle to give you an initial boost to get going? With a mid-drive like this is it just a matter of starting off in a low gear and letting muscles and PAS get you going? Been reading a lot about hubs (usually with a throttle) but I like the Bosch mid drive so trying to understand the tradeoffs in everyday use.

Tim859: Trek has a reputation for not activating the 'walk mode'. Does yours have a walk mode activated? Also, how is it 'getting off the line' at stop signs, etc. without a throttle to give you an initial boost to get going? With a mid-drive like this is it just a matter of starting off in a low gear and letting muscles and PAS get you going? Been reading a lot about hubs (usually with a throttle) but I like the Bosch mid drive so trying to understand the tradeoffs in everyday use.
My Bike has the walk mode turned off and lights always on. I talked with my dealer about about updating my bike to enable the walk mode. Just have't had time to get it back to the dealer yet. If you're in the right gear and mode it will take off quickly. I've used sport and turbo to get out of trouble several times. Let us know what bike you decide to purchase. Does your dealer have a Verve that your wife can test ride? I'm sure they can get one.

You can easily remove the thumb throttle from any Juiced Bike if you want to. Don't let the fact that there have been problems posted hold you back. 1st, Juiced has made huge strides in this area. Their customer service has earned consistently good marks in recent months. 2nd, any bike might have similar problems no matter how much you spend or who you buy from. Look more at whether the problems were solved professionally than at whether there were problems. 3rd, Juiced has sold thousands of bikes with no complaints. Like mine, for one.

Back