Trek Verve +3 lowstep vs. Giant Explore E+ 2STA

buckeyetimz

Region
USA
Interested to hear from owners of either e-bike. Opinions, recommendations, pros and cons. Any downside to having a class 3 e-bike? Will be doing 90% paved and 10% gravel riding. Thank you.

I own a Trek Verve +3 but mine is a class I. I’ve got around 3300 miles on mine and it’s been problem free. My opinion is it’s more of a paved road or trail bike. I ride mine on gravel on occasion but it’s not great. Mine came with a suspension seat post but the front doesn’t have a suspension. A lot of it depends on the gravel, bike trails made of gravel use smaller gravel and are fine. The roads around my house that are gravel are bigger rocks and much rougher. I ride mostly in tour mode, not the lowest assist level but second lowest, and my range is in the 40 miles range.

I put 2,500 miles on my Verve+3 then swapped to an Allant+7s for the class 3 motor and front suspension. 6,800 miles on the Allant. Similar mix of road surface to yours.

I have over 12,000 km on my Verve +3. It has been virtually problem free, ridden on trails (dirt, grassy) at least as much as pavement. I put both Redshift stem and seatpost on, upgraded the seat, tires with more tread, removed the chain cover. I live in an area that’s not too hilly so the power is fine, although I also changed to a wider ratio cassette. Very happy with the bike.

Attachments

• 156429D7-0A7F-4A44-B5F9-078C6A0EE7FA.jpeg
    156429D7-0A7F-4A44-B5F9-078C6A0EE7FA.jpeg
    898 KB · Views: 181
  • 2ED07483-0CD4-400A-A3D0-1ACB11B44E80.jpeg
    2ED07483-0CD4-400A-A3D0-1ACB11B44E80.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 176
  • 23F0FEFA-2F4A-48D7-8F1B-E13D7EAF336F.jpeg
    23F0FEFA-2F4A-48D7-8F1B-E13D7EAF336F.jpeg
    844.4 KB · Views: 175
  • E2AA1C5C-4CEB-4DE3-BD88-063EB2955542.jpeg
    E2AA1C5C-4CEB-4DE3-BD88-063EB2955542.jpeg
    553.2 KB · Views: 184
I own a Trek Verve +3 but mine is a class I. I’ve got around 3300 miles on mine and it’s been problem free. My opinion is it’s more of a paved road or trail bike. I ride mine on gravel on occasion but it’s not great. Mine came with a suspension seat post but the front doesn’t have a suspension. A lot of it depends on the gravel, bike trails made of gravel use smaller gravel and are fine. The roads around my house that are gravel are bigger rocks and much rougher. I ride mostly in tour mode, not the lowest assist level but second lowest, and my range is in the 40 miles range.
Thanks for the information. The gravel I'll ride on is mostly crushed so the Verve+3 should be able to handle that ok. I found the Verve very comfortable during my test ride. I haven't ridden the Giant Explore yet.

I put 2,500 miles on my Verve+3 then swapped to an Allant+7s for the class 3 motor and front suspension. 6,800 miles on the Allant. Similar mix of road surface to yours.
Thanks for the information. The Allant +7s is more comparable to the Giant Explore E+2. Was the Verve reliable? Has the Allant been reliable?

I have over 12,000 km on my Verve +3. It has been virtually problem free, ridden on trails (dirt, grassy) at least as much as pavement. I put both Redshift stem and seatpost on, upgraded the seat, tires with more tread, removed the chain cover. I live in an area that’s not too hilly so the power is fine, although I also changed to a wider ratio cassette. Very happy with the bike.
Latitude: Did you install the Redshift ShockStop System (stem and seatpost)? Have you been happy with the Redshift system? I probably would add the ShockStop Stem if I purchase the Verve+3 because there is no front shock on the Verve+3.

Latitude: Did you install the Redshift ShockStop System (stem and seatpost)? Have you been happy with the Redshift system? I probably would add the ShockStop Stem if I purchase the Verve+3 because there is no front shock on the Verve+3.
Yes, I installed both. The stem is an easy switch, I used spacers and a cap from my Trek dealer. It doesn’t give you a lot of front suspension, but I and other users here find that it removes the effects of vibration that can numb your hands on a longer ride. The seatpost is great, it definitely gives much better suspension than the “springpost” that comes on the Verve. I like that it is fairly compact and inconspicuous. I really like the Redshift system. They’re easy to deal with too.

Thanks for the information. The Allant +7s is more comparable to the Giant Explore E+2. Was the Verve reliable? Has the Allant been reliable?
Sparky: Have you been happy upgrading to the class 3 motor (Allant)? Why did you want the class 3 motor: to keep up with other riders?

The Verve+3 is a class 1 and wondering if I would be happier with a class 3 (Giant Explore E+2) in the long run.

Sparky: Have you been happy upgrading to the class 3 motor (Allant)? Why did you want the class 3 motor: to keep up with other riders?

The Verve+3 is a class 1 and wondering if I would be happier with a class 3 (Giant Explore E+2) in the long run.
Yes, totally pleased with class 3. It was frustrating for me to out-pedal my class 1, but very rarely my class 3. When riding solo on open road/paths, my splits average 22-26mph. I usually ride 12-15mph when my wife and I lead bike groups.
I would rather have the power when I need it vs. not having it when I want it.

Trek, Giant, Specialized, etc., are all reliable. I am a fan of Bosch motors, but have ridden Giants with equal reliability.
The only maintenance has been with the drive train — I have replaced the cassette several times — which I expect per my riding style. (I love to ride fast!) And I clean & lube the chain every 300 miles.

For trekking and cruising class2 is fine. Class 3 is definitely big plus for commuting and city riding. Having speed on hand to mix with traffic at intersections is useful.

Back