Trek rail 7 as commuter?

what

Region
Europe
Hi guys,

I need some help in deciding here because I can’t on my own. I will use it to commute and get out with the family, pulling the kids in the wagon. I was about to buy a cube reaction hybrid reaction. It’s a hardtail with the gen3 65nm Bosch. It costs around $2.3k new and is certainly good enough for me.

I can also buy a rail 7 2021 with around 900 miles for $3.3k. It’s absolutely overkill for my intended usage but it’s a much better bike with the Bosch gen4 with 85nm and everything else much higher end as well. I also expect it to be a lot more comfy to ride, regardless if it’s bumpy or not.

My main concern with the rail is that it’s a pretty big bike. Riding in the city with lots of cars, cyclists and pedestrians I want it to be nimble. I haven’t ever ridden an enduro bike but I expect it to be more wobbly being larger and with 29” vs 27.5”, is that correct?

Do you think it’s worth getting the rail over the cube for 1k extra?

If the prices seem weird to you it’s because I’m located in Europe. I translated the currency and distance to US though since it seems to me like its mostly an American forum.

Thanks

Honestly, I own a Trek Allant 8s, and for what you are trying to do, I would probably go with the Trek 7s for roughly 4k US dollars. Now, the 8s is $450 more, and with that you get a bigger batter, and better display and Cobi app. The Bosch gen 4 motor is GREAT....noisy at times, but man is it fun to ride. Good luck.

Honestly, I own a Trek Allant 8s, and for what you are trying to do, I would probably go with the Trek 7s for roughly 4k US dollars. Now, the 8s is $450 more, and with that you get a bigger batter, and better display and Cobi app. The Bosch gen 4 motor is GREAT....noisy at times, but man is it fun to ride. Good luck.
Thank you, but the Allant is not in the equation. I’m really stretching my budget paying 3.3 for the rail so adding another 1k for the allant is out of the question.

I see your point though, I bet it’s much better for commuting. I won’t be doing that as much since I mostly work from home. Probably a few times per month. I expect to enjoy myself a lot more on a mtb than a hybrid when out with the family which is why I’ve zeroed in on a emtb

Okay, got it....for the money, get the gen4 motor, it is awesome in my opinion. Over 2200 miles on it, with NO ISSUES...none. Hope that helps.

Riding an e-MTB in European urban environment for commute is not the greatest idea. I had a full-suspention Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro and that e-bike just hated riding on the pavement. If you take the Rail, you will notice you would have to replace the off-road tyres with "SUV e-bike" ones such as Schwalbe Johnny Watts. You would be missing mudguards/fenders and the rear rack (which is not that easy to get for the full-blood e-MTB). You would even miss the kickstand!

e-MTBs can climb perfectly. They are wonderful in rough off-road. They do not work well in the city. The gearing will make you ride slower than expected (yes, I know it is 25 km/h restricted). You will become tired soon. Been there done that.

If the Cube Reaction Hybrid is in a good shape, go for it. Nimble, easy to get on and off. That's a proper urban e-bike!

The only question: Any steep hills ahead?

Riding an e-MTB in European urban environment for commute is not the greatest idea. I had a full-suspention Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro and that e-bike just hated riding on the pavement. If you take the Rail, you will notice you would have to replace the off-road tyres with "SUV e-bike" ones such as Schwalbe Johnny Watts. You would be missing mudguards/fenders and the rear rack (which is not that easy to get for the full-blood e-MTB). You would even miss the kickstand!

e-MTBs can climb perfectly. They are wonderful in rough off-road. They do not work well in the city. The gearing will make you ride slower than expected (yes, I know it is 25 km/h restricted). You will become tired soon. Been there done that.

If the Cube Reaction Hybrid is in a good shape, go for it. Nimble, easy to get on and off. That's a proper urban e-bike!

The only question: Any steep hills ahead?
Thank you! I have no need for a rack but mudguards and kickstand wouldn’t hurt. I can install it though, right?

Did you feel like the giant was annoyingly big in the city? I’m kind of a wuss when it comes to cycling in the city. Cars everywhere and the bike path is way too small from time to time which can be scary if there’s a bus beside you.

The cube is new so I expect it to be in great condition. I agree that it’s most likely a much better bike for the city.. it’s not as fun though. It will also lose much more value right off the bat. Probably looking at 1k at least. It really is a hard decision.

I don’t have any hills at the moment but I will be moving to a house within a year or two so that could change

Did you feel like the giant was annoyingly big in the city? I’m kind of a wuss when it comes to cycling in the city. Cars everywhere and the bike path is way too small from time to time which can be scary if there’s a bus beside you.
No no. It is OK. My brother who now owns my Giant uses it daily for his commutes because he owns no other e-bike! He has installed the rear-view mirror though, added fenders, rack, changed the tyres...

I have no need for a rack but mudguards and kickstand wouldn’t hurt. I can install it though, right?
Well. Typically you need to buy temporary MTB mudguards (SKS makes really good ones). In Europe, the only available good MTB rack is Topeak TetraRack M2, which is also temporary.

Did you feel like the giant was annoyingly big in the city?
I hated riding it on the pavement. The e-bike, like, was begging me "take me off-road!" As I could not stand riding the e-MTB in the city, I was actually carrying the Giant to the next big forest with my car! When you ride, like, 25 km/h in the forest, it feels like high speed. An e-MTB in the city feels like a cow, and I do not mean the speed...

The cube is new so I expect it to be in great condition.
There are several distinct sub-models of the Reaction Hybrid. The frame layout, battery capacity, motor model. Have you looked at the prices of new Cube e-bikes? You wanted to stretch the budget to $3.3, so maybe?

No no. It is OK. My brother who now owns my Giant uses it daily for his commutes because he owns no other e-bike! He has installed the rear-view mirror though, added fenders, rack, changed the tyres...

Well. Typically you need to buy temporary MTB mudguards (SKS makes really good ones). In Europe, the only available good MTB rack is Topeak TetraRack M2, which is also temporary.

I hated riding it on the pavement. The e-bike, like, was begging me "take me off-road!" As I could not stand riding the e-MTB in the city, I was actually carrying the Giant to the next big forest with my car! When you ride, like, 25 km/h in the forest, it feels like high speed. An e-MTB in the city feels like a cow, and I do not mean the speed...

There are several distinct sub-models of the Reaction Hybrid. The frame layout, battery capacity, motor model. Have you looked at the prices of new Cube e-bikes? You wanted to stretch the budget to $3.3, so maybe?
I really don’t want to stretch it tbh. The only reason I’m considering it is because the rail is a pretty damn cool bike. But it’s kind of silly to even want to buy it since I have no forest close by. If the cube had the gen4 it would be an easy decision. My mind is saying cube but heart really wants the rail.

Is 1200 km a lot for an enduro? I saw that oil needs to be changed every 100 hour or so but I don’t expect it to be as needed when riding on pavement?

I saw that oil needs to be changed every 100 hour or so
What oil?!

Meanwhile, I was reading some technical documentation related to MTBs. The document stated that the longer the suspension travel is, the slower and less nimble the MTB becomes. That is, an MTB of 100 mm suspension travel will be faster and more nimble than, say, one with 160 mm travel.

What oil?!

Meanwhile, I was reading some technical documentation related to MTBs. The document stated that the longer the suspension travel is, the slower and less nimble the MTB becomes. That is, an MTB of 100 mm suspension travel will be faster and more nimble than, say, one with 160 mm travel.
You’re really making it difficult. It certainly sounds like I should go with the cube

You’re really making it difficult. It certainly sounds like I should go with the cube
Trust me, @what. I thought I would be so happy with the Trance E+. What a beautiful e-bike! It turned out to be impractical though (now my brother considers buying an unpowered gravel bike...)

I misread you before: are you looking at a new Cube? Good decision. Warranty and all.

I'm only intrigued @what about "the oil replacement" thing you mentioned. Did you think about servicing the suspension fork perhaps? Well, the Trance E+ I mentioned earlier has almost 16000 km on the odometer and the suspension fork or the rear shock were never serviced :) What is important in servicing and maintenance is the chain. The mileage of the Rail indicates the chain would have to be probably replaced, and the condition of the cassette is unknown for that e-bike.

Would you share an exact link to the Cube you are after?

Yes, I was talking about the suspension. Maybe I was just talking jibberish, I have never owned a full suspension bike. It’s just something that I saw somewhere else that it was needed

This is the other bike

I'm only intrigued @what about "the oil replacement" thing you mentioned. Did you think about servicing the suspension fork perhaps? Well, the Trance E+ I mentioned earlier has almost 16000 km on the odometer and the suspension fork or the rear shock were never serviced :) What is important in servicing and maintenance is the chain. The mileage of the Rail indicates the chain would have to be probably replaced, and the condition of the cassette is unknown for that e-bike.

Would you share an exact link to the Cube you are after?

Stefan, get your brother to service the suspension! If used properly, a dual suspension bike benefits from maintenance - at least a suspension clean and oil change but ideally full service +/- grease all bushes / linkage bearings etc. the loss in performance creeps up on you...but at each birthday I wonder why I didn't d9 it earlier ( because there are 4 / 5 bikes in the family...) .

It's scary how contaminated the old oil is, and how the internal bushes wear if you ignore changes

Stefan, get your brother to service the suspension! If used properly, a dual suspension bike benefits from maintenance - at least a suspension clean and oil change but ideally full service +/- grease all bushes / linkage bearings etc. the loss in performance creeps up on you...but at each birthday I wonder why I didn't d9 it earlier ( because there are 4 / 5 bikes in the family...) .

It's scary how contaminated the old oil is, and how the internal bushes wear if you ignore changes
I told my brother. He thanks you very much for your good advice! He will do it himself as soon as it gets a little bit warmer!
Besides, he's reading e-MTB fora (using Google Translate).

I have quality FS eMTB plus a HT Trekking/Commuter. The eMTB with dongle and road tires is awesome faster commuter but only gets used occasional. Without dongle I'd never ride on road. HT is my goto bike most time.

HT trekking bikes like Kathmandu, Vado, Xroad make far better commuters while still offering some offroad capability. When it comes to commuting the musts are. Factory fitted mudguards (aftermarkets ones don't give good coverage), lights, kickstand and rack for panniers. Once you've used panniers will never want to use backpack ever again..

Power difference between 85nm CX and 65nm Performanceline is one gear on climbs. CX is only useful if you plan to climb steeps hills on regular basis in Turbo. On moderate hills Performanceline will still be in 20s if not up against 25kmhr cutoff.

From security point of view any ebike is target for theives but they are likely to put lot more effort in to stealing Rail 7 as its more valueable desirable.

Last edited:
Thank you, but the Allant is not in the equation. I’m really stretching my budget paying 3.3 for the rail so adding another 1k for the allant is out of the question.

I see your point though, I bet it’s much better for commuting. I won’t be doing that as much since I mostly work from home. Probably a few times per month. I expect to enjoy myself a lot more on a mtb than a hybrid when out with the family which is why I’ve zeroed in on a emtb

If it is stretching your budget then don't.

Otherwise go for FS rail 7. It is not overkill, it is superior to the so called hybrids in every way. In terms of weight/size the regular hybrids are not lighter or smaller. Since you will be working from home and want versatility Rail is the better choice. Aslo I think you should first make up your mind about your needs. You started by asking if Rail 7 is a good commuter now you are saying that you won't be commuting with it much.

Make sure that it is the right size, afterwards you can adjust it further to fit your needs.

Back