Trek Allante+

There were some recent Trek reviews, was surprised the Allant+ didn’t show up.
I saw a thread on the Super Commuter, which I believe is now discontinued. I’m interested in the Allant plus bikes- they’re pretty pricey though, and I’d like to know if the cost is justifiable, in terms of getting what you pay for. I know you can spend a lot less for same or similar capacities. Any further thoughts about this will be appreciated.

I saw a thread on the Super Commuter, which I believe is now discontinued. I’m interested in the Allant plus bikes- they’re pretty pricey though, and I’d like to know if the cost is justifiable, in terms of getting what you pay for. I know you can spend a lot less for same or similar capacities. Any further thoughts about this will be appreciated.
You can spend Less But you can't duplicate Trek fit quality : There's an alliant +7 They (TREK) told me Mid April https://electricbikereview.com/foru...th-6-detailed-colored-pictures-class-3.31726/

Not sure what is meant by "fit quality". I know Trek has generally good quality bikes, but can you. say more about that....re: the Allant+7: do you know what class e-bike that will be?

Just looked at the link you sent. Looks very interesting. Allant+7 looks like it does come in Class 3. Also looks like it has front suspension- something the 8s lacks. So, I'll be very interested to know the price. My guess is that there won't be much of a reduction from the cost of an 8 or 8s (i.e. 3000-4000+). Also, there's mention on the link that it was to be available in February, but there don't seem to be any on Trek bike store floors in the Chicago area. They are all carrying 8s and 9s. One store said they could order the 7, though.

Has anybody seen any reviews on the Trek Allant+ 8S? Trying to decide between the Trek Allant+ 8S and the Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0. Any thoughts?

Has anybody seen any reviews on the Trek Allant+ 8S? Trying to decide between the Trek Allant+ 8S and the Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0. Any thoughts?

I’ve test ridden both and I recommend you do the same if you can even if you have to take a drive.

The allant motor noise is much more noticeable than the Vado. Pedal assist and overall ride was also smoother on the Vado from what I recall but not much more so.

The battery was a pain to put in on the Vado which you might be doing often if you have to leave your bike in a garage during cold winters for example. The allant battery was much easier to get in. I’m sure with practice you’d find the touch on the Vado.

If you visit your nearest Trek dealer they also have a sale going on now - the 8s is 3800 until mid April I think.

I rode both bikes a couple of days ago at our local bike store. They definately sell more Trek's than specialized. The Trek is currently 5% of (4300 MSRP), whereas the Specialized is (3550 MSRP) listed at 3018, with an additional $532 rebate after you purchase the bike, for a total of ~2500. The battery is a little higher powered on the Trek - so I think that it lasts longer? The Trek seemed "busy" with the bike computer, phone display holder and all the cords. I really liked the ride of the Trek - I could notice the emotor slightly louder. I also really liked the Specialized. I like the Trek red color better. The bike shop said they would come down to $3600 for the Trek. Just not sure the red color is worth $1100 more than the Specialized. Do you have either of these bikes - and what is/was your preference?

I didn’t end up getting either of them. I have a Trek dealer blocks from my house and was hoping to be wowed by the 8s but it just didn’t happen. Another thing I didn’t like was the rack system with pannier only. I liked the Vado’s rack as well as the front fork it came with. The allant has a 625 watt hour (Wh) battery while the Vado has 500 Wh. So in theory the Trek will have a little more range. Color is important :) I wasn’t a fan of the options on the Vado and i could live with the silver of the 8s. For me - I think that price difference would have me leaning toward the Vado despite the lack luster colors. But you said you liked the feel of the Allant a little more as well as the color. I’d say give each a second test ride and follow your heart ;)

I rode both bikes a couple of days ago at our local bike store. They definately sell more Trek's than specialized. The Trek is currently 5% of (4300 MSRP), whereas the Specialized is (3550 MSRP) listed at 3018, with an additional $532 rebate after you purchase the bike, for a total of ~2500. The battery is a little higher powered on the Trek - so I think that it lasts longer? The Trek seemed "busy" with the bike computer, phone display holder and all the cords. I really liked the ride of the Trek - I could notice the emotor slightly louder. I also really liked the Specialized. I like the Trek red color better. The bike shop said they would come down to $3600 for the Trek. Just not sure the red color is worth $1100 more than the Specialized. Do you have either of these bikes - and what is/was your preference?

I assume it is the speed version of 8 vs Vado 4.0. Because of slightly larger battery if the prices were the same I may have gone for Allant(Vado is a well designed bike with a very quiet motor) but $1.1K is a big difference and very hard to justify in this case. Also no matter how nice it looks it doesn't change the fact that allant doesn't have a suspension (But I believe you can put one on the 8S).
My pick would be Vado in this case.

My Vado has a 604 Wh battery.

From their site:
We made the custom 500 Wh battery to be fully integrated with the frame, removable for easy charging, and lockable for added security.

Is it an upgrade option?

I have got the 5.0. The 604 Wh battery fits any Vado and costs around US$925.

I have got the 5.0. The 604 Wh battery fits any Vado and costs around US$925.
Do you know if the BMS is locked like Bosch. If not(which I suspect it to be the case since Brose doesn't lock their systems and allow using other batteries) that is another good reason for Vado since you can rebuild the pack with higher capacity cells from a reputable place for cheap.

It is easy to ask a Specialized dealer :) AFAIK you can replace the less capable battery in Turbo Levo with a larger one. I think it is the same with the Vado.

So it sounds like this group is recommending the Specialized Vado 4.0. I agree I liked the front shocks and the rack much better on the Vado than the Trek Allant+ 8S. Specialized is having an amazing sale right now - and I can always get this bike, then if down the road I want a battery that lasts longer I could order the 604wh for $925. Does the higher wh just give me more battery time?

Do you know if the BMS is locked like Bosch. If not(which I suspect it to be the case since Brose doesn't lock their systems and allow using other batteries) that is another good reason for Vado since you can rebuild the pack with higher capacity cells from a reputable place for cheap.

What does it mean "BMS is locked like Bosch"?? Thanks - Kelly

What does it mean "BMS is locked like Bosch"?? Thanks - Kelly

Your battery is composed of two parts, the cells which store the energy and the BMS which is the battery management circuit, monitoring cell voltages, communicating with the rest of the system etc.

For a battery pack to work with your system its BMS must be able to communicate with the rest of your components. Some companies like Bosch lock their BMS so that the system only works with Bosch's own batteries. That means if your battery in the future needs replacement you can not just replace the cells, you have to buy a new Battery from Bosch.

But you shouldn't worry about it too much, when you take care of the batteries they last quite a long time.

Whichever you choose enjoy it.

Back