Traveling with your ebike overnight?

I cover the steel parts with oil. 5w non-detergent.
I cover the seat with a plastic bag with an elastic rim. A hat cover from the military I think it was?
If it is going to be a vicious storm or a soaking rain, I have a roll of plastic from the home store that I weigh down the ends with tree limb pieces. Comes in a package of 6 in the paint dept. Mostly I use this plastic though in fig season to keep the purple figs off it.
You see left, the battery is permanently wrapped in insulating foam with a matching plastic bag taped over it. The wires droop down at the exit to keep the drips out. The controller is under the seat with the wires looping down. Much more weatherproof than those downtube battery bikes with the contacts pointed up. The motor has a gasket in it. Once in a serious 30 mile January rain the throttle stopped working, but a hair dryer at home brought it back to life.

Last edited:
If possible, I bring the bikes into the hotel room when travelling. If not, I lock them up to the vehicle rack, remove the seat & cap the seat tube and cover the handlebars with protective bags. The rest of the bike is weather resistant enough for occasional exposure. If I were leaving the bike outside on a regular basis, I would build some sort of shelter or cover it with a tarp.

If possible, I bring the bikes into the hotel room when travelling. If not, I lock them up to the vehicle rack, remove the seat & cap the seat tube and cover the handlebars with protective bags. The rest of the bike is weather resistant enough for occasional exposure. If I were leaving the bike outside on a regular basis, I would build some sort of shelter or cover it with a tarp.
I am just thinking, at a campsite overnight or while I am fishing for the day. A small tarp that rolls up and fits in my bag?
Even on the bike rack on the car for a few hours, is there a cover that can withstand the wind? I saw a few bike covers but they don't look sturdy enough for car travel at speed.

There are lots of options out there.

If you poke around on amazon and other sites there are a dog's breakfast of other decent looking options.

For myself, I try to stash the bike in a hotel room. If I am camping I figure the bike is waterproof enough. When transporting it I usually break it down and carry it in the back rather than on a rack.

Back