Transporting Our e-bikes

FL Flyer

We are planning a month long trip around the US hauling our eBikes so we can ride various bike trails. My question is what if any, special accommodations I will need to make to keep rain and road spray off the controller base and the batteries. We will be carrying them on our Thule Easyfold platform rack which has worked great. I know the R & M manual says to remove the battery when transporting but since it’s locked on, we never do. We do remove the controllers when they are being transported. I’d appreciate any wisdom the group can share. Thanks.

Tie a plastic bag around the controls and display and do the same with the saddle. It's a simple but effective way of protecting the sensitive parts of the bike against rain and dust.

We are planning a month long trip around the US hauling our eBikes so we can ride various bike trails. My question is what if any, special accommodations I will need to make to keep rain and road spray off the controller base and the batteries. We will be carrying them on our Thule Easyfold platform rack which has worked great. I know the R & M manual says to remove the battery when transporting but since it’s locked on, we never do. We do remove the controllers when they are being transported. I’d appreciate any wisdom the group can share. Thanks.

Do remove the batteries, bags and locks as it makes is easier to lift the bike and puts less stress on everything when you lighten the bike. It is a simple security precaution as well. Bosch makes a nice little rubber cover for the battery contacts that will keep things nice and dry when the battery has been removed. Remove the display and put a plastic bag with a rubber band to hold it in place. Also remove the saddle and cover the seat tube hole with a bag and rubber band.

My bike has logged over 3,000 miles on a rack behind my SUV or my travel trailer. I do not remove or cover anything except the key. My bike vendor recommended leaving the battery locked in place when traveling. When I reach my destination, I just roll it off the ramp and ride it.

Back