Transporting a large Ebike

Joe52V

Hello everyone
I thought my Thule aero rack would have been fine for transporting but do to the size of my Juiced fat bike it just wasnt made for in my opinion to be put on a hitch rack. So we bought a heavy duty platform rack and wow what a difference in transporting. Some Ebikes like mine have the bottle holder under the top rail. Who thinks of this when buying but it actually caused part of the problem trying to mount it. The Thule has huge pads and the pad was getting caught on the bottle holder. You only have about 2”-3” from frme to bottle holder and this beast weighs 60 without the battery! Lol we got the platform and its is night and day.
The hitch racks are really good for non E bikes . Or if you have only one bike. Most of the hitch racks top out at 90-110 lbs and one Ebike less the battery is 60. I plan on getting my wife one soon and this wouldnt have held. just a thought for anyone looking for an Ebike and they didnt think about the rack.

Hello everyone
I thought my Thule aero rack would have been fine for transporting but do to the size of my Juiced fat bike it just wasnt made for in my opinion to be put on a hitch rack. So we bought a heavy duty platform rack and wow what a difference in transporting. Some Ebikes like mine have the bottle holder under the top rail. Who thinks of this when buying but it actually caused part of the problem trying to mount it. The Thule has huge pads and the pad was getting caught on the bottle holder. You only have about 2”-3” from frme to bottle holder and this beast weighs 60 without the battery! Lol we got the platform and its is night and day.
The hitch racks are really good for non E bikes . Or if you have only one bike. Most of the hitch racks top out at 90-110 lbs and one Ebike less the battery is 60. I plan on getting my wife one soon and this wouldnt have held. just a thought for anyone looking for an Ebike and they didnt think about the rack.
I forgot to mention when looking for a platform 2 major things to look for max weight per bike and wheel size . Mine takes a 5” fat tire and the Rip current is 26x4” which fits nicely. I found many only go to 3”

Here are some pictures before and after .

Attachments

• 66154085-1A45-441C-AE09-947495896436.jpeg
    66154085-1A45-441C-AE09-947495896436.jpeg
    173.7 KB · Views: 717
  • 73D50570-4D9E-4C23-8E6F-D47A72BB09AF.jpeg
    73D50570-4D9E-4C23-8E6F-D47A72BB09AF.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 913
I have no experience with this purchase but I have read that the 1up USA is a very good product for transporting all kinds of bikes.

I forgot to mention when looking for a platform 2 major things to look for max weight per bike and wheel size . Mine takes a 5” fat tire and the Rip current is 26x4” which fits nicely. I found many only go to 3”
Which platform rack did you get? I have a HIMIWAY, almost identical to your Rip. Really limited on selection with fat tires. Thanks

Which platform rack did you get? I have a HIMIWAY, almost identical to your Rip. Really limited on selection with fat tires. Thanks
I ended up with the KAC overdrive sports 2 .
My wife has a Himiway coming next week. So we will be putting both on . We take the batteries off to lessen the load by 20 lbs.
Its a good rack works well tire size not an issUe. Im used to Thule so this is a little lesser quality but wasnt spending $700+ on a rack. This gets the job done.

Any light weight motorcycle rack should work fine if you have a hitch on your vehicle.
I just found a combination cargo rack and motorcycle carrier on Facebook Marketplace for $80. The cargo rack and motorcycle carrier are 500lb capacity.

Although I can easily fit my 60lb Rambo fat e bike in the rear of my cargo van, I got the rear rack and a motorcycle cover, to go traveling and camping as I sleep in the back of my van.

Plus I can still throw smaller odds and ends on the cargo rack.

I have the bike secured with tie down straps similar to how a motorcycle would be tied down on this rack.
3F4ACAE7-3C88-45AF-8A85-4F4B780C3FDC.jpeg

Check out this hitch rack... it has an integrated service rack and lock system. ;)

Last edited:
Check out this hitch rack... it has an integrated service rack and lock system. ;)

I’ve heard of that rack but it might not work with our Allant’s fenders. Our Hollywood is intended for a 2” hitch so there’s no wiggling, even with 2 60lb ebikes.

Back