Trainer tiers for Vado SL 4 EQ

BEC111

I’ve been thinking about getting a Saris Fluid 2 trainer for use with my Vado Sl 4 EQ. The recommendation is to use a trainer tire but all of the trainer tires I see for 700c wheels are 23 or 25 mm.Will those fit on my wheel?
Is there something else that would actually fit and be adequate for use with the trainer? I’m thinking a regular but less expensive slick.
Otherwise I would have to go the expense and pan of a direct trainer and finding a compatible cassette which are rare on the market now.
It would be ok if this was a longer term project - for next winter.

I've used regular tires on a wheel-on trainer in the past, however most of the miles were on an old pair of 23 mm tires I had swapped out for 25's for improved comfort. It is true they wear quickly down the centre line but if you have an old tire or want to replace a rear tire (they wear faster than the fronts) you could use one that was/is on your Vado. I think it helps if you ensure inflation of the tire is at or near those you would use on the road. YMMV.

I'm not sure you could fit a 23 or 25 mm trainer tire safely since the inner rim width of your wheels according to Specialized is 21 mm. Sheldon Brown's, admittedly conservative, chart near the bottom of https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html suggests not, but failure on a trainer would have fewer consequences than on the road😜

Edit to say this experience was on an acoustic road bike.

I've used regular tires on a wheel-on trainer in the past, however most of the miles were on an old pair of 23 mm tires I had swapped out for 25's for improved comfort. It is true they wear quickly down the centre line but if you have an old tire or want to replace a rear tire (they wear faster than the fronts) you could use one that was/is on your Vado. I think it helps if you ensure inflation of the tire is at or near those you would use on the road. YMMV.

I'm not sure you could fit a 23 or 25 mm trainer tire safely since the inner rim width of your wheels according to Specialized is 21 mm. Sheldon Brown's, admittedly conservative, chart near the bottom of https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html suggests not, but failure on a trainer would have fewer consequences than on the road😜

Edit to say this experience was on an acoustic road bike.
Thanks, you’ve confirmed my supposition. I guess I can get a tire and tube I’d just use on a trainer. That makes it a lot easier.

Since I wouldn’t be using assist on the trainer being an ebike won’t matter.

Thanks, you’ve confirmed my supposition. I guess I can get a tire and tube I’d just use on a trainer. That makes it a lot easier.

Since I wouldn’t be using assist on the trainer being an ebike won’t matter.
On a recent ride on FulGaz I wished that I had my ebike! 😁

Back