Trail F5 rear quick release thru axle.

Baidun

Region
USA
Mine broke as i was assembling it right out of the box. Maybe I tried to tighten it too much, but the metal stud connected to the quick release handle snapped off. Anyone know what size I need to buy to replace it? 12x142? I can’t find anything online or in the manuals, nor is it listed on the FLX website as a part I can buy.

Thanks! I contacted FLX and have put one on order. 25$ for the part and $10 for shipping. At least it will get my bike operational again. I was just looking for a higher quality replacement part as mine broke with not much force. I will check out the link you provided, thank you. I wish FLX would just publish the sizing as most thru axles seem to have the size printed or engraved on the axle itself.

this is what he found at Robert Axel Project

Screen Shot 2021-01-02 at 9.10.02 AM.png

The threading on the axle will require you to buy a nut and washer from the hardware store

I had sworn off Facebook and freeze dried my account for the last year, but I just unfroze it for the FLX group:)
personally I have found the QR thru axles very inconsistent . You just broke it for that very reason. You never get the thing exactly in the same place twice. The only advantage is getting a flat on the trail. Otherwise something you torque to spec is far more consistent .
Don't get me wrong I have them on one of my bikes. Everytime I remove the wheels to wash it I have to screw around with the disc brakes when re-installing . The Bike with the axle I torque to spec there's never an issue .
Not to mention you can install a QR with the wrong cant unless you are careful.
Having both this is just My Opinion .

personally I have found the QR thru axles very inconsistent . You just broke it for that very reason. You never get the thing exactly in the same place twice. The only advantage is getting a flat on the trail. Otherwise something you torque to spec is far more consistent .
Don't get me wrong I have them on one of my bikes. Everytime I remove the wheels to wash it I have to screw around with the disc brakes when re-installing . The Bike with the axle I torque to spec there's never an issue .
Not to mention you can install a QR with the wrong cant unless you are careful.
Having both this is just My Opinion .
I would agree. I’ve had 4 FLX Trail and Attacks and so far my only issue has been too many flat tires! On the latest Trail F5 that i just assembled 1) it wont turn on, so FLX is sending me a new display and switch, and I broke the quick release on the rear axle. I’d really prefer the rear axles with the ratcheting level to tighten it down. I was getting some disc brake rubbing noises that were annoying and I found that by tightening the axel the noise would go away. Then it snapped. Would be easy if I knew the sizing. I know nothing about bikes really, but while I measured the length of the axle, that doesn’t seem to be how it equates to the standard size nomenclature (e.g. 12x142). Right now I just want to be able to ride:)

One last thing... my bike store has a very nice 10x142 thru axel (DTS Swiss style with ratcheting release lever) that fits my Trail F5. It is the right length, the end screw fits, etc. Only thing is this one is a 10mm diameter and the original one is 12mm. Will it hurt to ride with this until I receive the replacement from FLX? I’m guessing the purpose is the clamp things together by pulling in the frame only? Sorry, my 4th Trail, but don’t know much about bikes....

One last thing... my bike store has a very nice 10x142 thru axel (DTS Swiss style with ratcheting release lever) that fits my Trail F5. It is the right length, the end screw fits, etc. Only thing is this one is a 10mm diameter and the original one is 12mm. Will it hurt to ride with this until I receive the replacement from FLX? I’m guessing the purpose is the clamp things together by pulling in the frame only? Sorry, my 4th Trail, but don’t know much about bikes....
You should be able to buy nice ratcheting axles . You just need to know the diameter like 12mm 14mm 15 mm etc. After having them on my Vado I love them. Brake rub on disc is easy to fix . But it's a pain to constantly have to do it . Like I said QR is a bad idea in my opinion . Helps with flats . But you can also buy small NM/in lb torque wrenches to carry . I know if you are MTB riding caring anything is kinda out . You need tubeless

Back