ToughRoad GX E+

Not sure what happened but my 2018 model control seems to have gone wrong.

To start, ECO & Basic mode doesn't do anything now and top 3 (active , sports, turbo?) are the only once that work. BUT those 3 gives out same power assist level.

I dropped the bike off at the shop I bought it from for them to look into it deeper. I had only bought it near end of 2019...
if anything hopefully somehow warranty, if any can get it repaired/replaced.

I tried latest version of the app and it tells me.. my bike is not compatible?!

XXGG, if you've got those five assist levels, I'm thinking you have a 2019 Toughroad. The 2018s had only Eco, Normal and Power. Also, 20mph cutoff on assist.

Does yours assist past that 20mph limit? 2019s are Class 3 all the way, 28mph

Hold on a minute, you're in Canada, I see. I'm on the wrong side of the border these days.

I still suspect you may have a 2019 despite the speed cutoff just because you have the five levels of assist, but who knows what Giant might have been up to. I am resisting doing any software changes to anything because as noted earlier, it ain't broke so I'm not going to try and fix it.

And by the way, I do wish I could customize the naming on those levels of assist. Eco, Normal, Power? Fooey. I'd make them Larry, Moe and Curly in a heartbeat.

Has anyone added a dropper post to their Toughroad?

I'm thinking about adding one - it looks like there is room to run everything internal? What my plan is to change the left shifter to a standard road Apex shifter and add the cable for the dropper to it.

If you do it, I’d love to hear the report... I’d like to do the same, haven’t done any research on it yet.

Yes my model is 2018. I have registered my bike on Giant website with my serial and it does show as 2018.

It has been few days and I have not heard from my bike shop. Shop did say they do have a computer to hook it up for firmware but we'll see what happens.

Another interesting thing is... back when I first bought the bike October 2019, I did email the Giant bike shop in my city and I got a reply saying for whatever my bike won't be able to get a firmware update as only 2019 and newer model can.
So I contacted Giant Canada directly via facebook and support told me it should be able to. I think Giant themselves are all confused as well since app itself says my bikes isn't compatible.

If I can't get this fixed... it is going to suck real bad as the whole purpose of e-bike is to have a motor assist but to have that assist with different assist levels.

41CBB5DD-5FF1-4459-9C35-C4000E77E3AD.jpeg
25457B37-5F14-45CB-A6ED-28D31DF03EDD.jpeg
Just finished setting up my bike with bags. Park the car. No need to drive until the snow gets deep.

Attachments

• 642B0F03-B125-45F9-82BC-3992A98AE7AF.jpeg
    642B0F03-B125-45F9-82BC-3992A98AE7AF.jpeg
    517.5 KB · Views: 377
Well...
So my 2018 has been in the bike shop for about 2 weeks now and was transferred to another brand for more testing as someone who is better suited for e-bikes are there.
Received a call saying, they can't figure out why it is acting the way it is even with firmware flashing, etc...

Now I been told replacement motor + controller is being shipped out from Vancouver, Canada to Toronto and I was told it could take 2~3 weeks? (UPS must be bicycling the package from YVR to YYZ).

Even tho my bicycle is 2018 purchased in near end of 2019, shop told me manufacturer warranty is 2 years from purchase date.
Cool.

Very long down time without a bicycle but hopefully it will be 100% working condition when it replaced.

Well...
So my 2018 has been in the bike shop for about 2 weeks now and was transferred to another brand for more testing as someone who is better suited for e-bikes are there.
Received a call saying, they can't figure out why it is acting the way it is even with firmware flashing, etc...

Now I been told replacement motor + controller is being shipped out from Vancouver, Canada to Toronto and I was told it could take 2~3 weeks? (UPS must be bicycling the package from YVR to YYZ).

Even tho my bicycle is 2018 purchased in near end of 2019, shop told me manufacturer warranty is 2 years from purchase date.
Cool.

Very long down time without a bicycle but hopefully it will be 100% working condition when it replaced.

this is why i m still keeping my road bike, in the event of e bike is out of service. i know it's not the same, but not able to bike for a few week is way too long lol

are u dealing with Giant Toronto Queen West?

Has anyone picked up an extra battery for their Toughroad? I have not run into a range problem yet but I am thinking about a longer ride on very mountainous roads. I have been able to go 52 miles with about 35% battery left but that was on moderate hills.

A couple of times on longer rides I’ve had to bring the charger and do the Stewarts stop thing. Had to do it all the time on my last bike, which had a 400 Powerpack.

Firehouses are good too, and certainly all over the Adirondacks. Libraries too. It’s way cheaper than buying another battery, that’s for sure, and a half hour chewing on a pizza slice will get you a good ten miles.

Stewart’s shop are my go to when riding. It seems like there is one about every 20 miles if you plan your route. It’s like having a support crew when riding

No joke, there are literally 15 Stewarts shops within a ten minute drive of our house. As a proper upstate ADK guy, I am sure you know how to give directions to literally anyplace: Turn right at Stewarts! Never fails.

this is why i m still keeping my road bike, in the event of e bike is out of service. i know it's not the same, but not able to bike for a few week is way too long lol

are u dealing with Giant Toronto Queen West?

I bought the bike from GEARS.
Yeah.. I do wish I had a another bicycle.

Looking to buy a used toughroad. I'm confused regarding 2018 vs 2019. I'm in Canada.
I saw an ad that says 2018 model but has 5 assist levels. Is this because of a firmware update? Does that mean this will work with the Ridecontrol app on the phone?
What other differences were there vs. 2019?

Looking to buy a used toughroad. I'm confused regarding 2018 vs 2019. I'm in Canada.
I saw an ad that says 2018 model but has 5 assist levels. Is this because of a firmware update? Does that mean this will work with the Ridecontrol app on the phone?
What other differences were there vs. 2019?
I really don’t think there is much difference between the 2018 and 2019 models

I really don’t think there is much difference between the 2018 and 2019 models

Thanks.
I guess I will know more when I go see the bike.
Also the bike is a size L. A bit worried it's going to be too big. But I took measurements of my current bike (2007 giant alliance 0 size M) and the reach seems similar just a higher stack on the toughroad size L. So it would be more up right.
I'm 5'10" 210lbs...

Hey Redviggen! I own a 2018, but it‘s a USA version and I have learned that there are some differences between us - well, as far as bikes go anyhow!

Mine has three assist levels, Eco, Normal and Power. 2019 introduced the fourth and I believe relabeled all of them. Some come with a 42 tooth crank, some with a 48, and there doesn’t seem to be a lot of logic behind that either. 42 climbs stronger, but either way it knows what to do with a hill.

Regardless, it’s a hell of a nice bike and very well named. I just pounded mine up my favorite steep washed out gravel trail again - didn’t make it this time without having to step off in a particularly deep rut - and I’ll tell you, this thing is a solid piece of equipment.

I’d be a tiny bit concerned about the Large size, you have to really try it out carefully with regard to riding on the hoods or leaning further out in the drops. It’s a pretty long bike anyway. If it’s too big, then it’s too big and you have to go cough up for a Revolt and suffer with the smaller battery thing... if it fits, grab it.

Back