Touch up paint

LSantana954

Region
USA
Trying to find some touch up paint for an urban grey paint. Has anyone with this color recommend a paint to use?

Look around the nail polish selection and you may find a color that will work. Auto supply store have endless variety of colors of touch up paints.

Once you get the touch up paint, you can add frame protection film. You can get pre-cut sheets, roll to cut to size, and get it in clear/pattern/carbon fiber finish. Cost starts at $6 for 3 pre cut sheets or $14 for a roll on Amazon.

After initially being frustrated with paint chips on my bikes, I’ve decided they’re part of the bike’s personality now and just accept them as evidence of well used bikes 😉
The frame tape is still a good suggestion if you ever sell the bike. I used it on a non-electric Bianchi, and the paint looked like new when I sold it after 7 years of use. Got my asking price bc appearance is what sells, for better or for worse.

Late to the party here.

I haven't had much luck touching up the paint on the frame rails where the panniers rub against them. It has to be redone every season. I tried tape, but it doesn't last long and looks shabby. Spiral wrap works but it's hard to keep in place and looks ugly.

I came across this product, which is similar to spiral wrap, but it's actually split wire loom tubing. It looks much cleaner and stays in place with no variation in the space between the wraps. I chose silver to match the bike paint but it is available in other colors as well:

IMG_005290.jpg
IMG_005288.jpg
IMG_005289.jpg

Look around the nail polish selection and you may find a color that will work. Auto supply store have endless variety of colors of touch up paints.
When I need to restore a bike I will often mix three to five colors of nail polish. For some reason people like to rub their shoe on the top tube even on brand new mid-step bikes. All it takes is a pebble. I have a whole drawer of nail polish.

After initially being frustrated with paint chips on my bikes, I’ve decided they’re part of the bike’s personality now and just accept them as evidence of well used bikes 😉

I glued velcro straps to my frame to help hold down the battery.
I peeled them off to readjust them and they took all the paint off. 😂

20241009_174317.jpg

Luckily I don't care. I'm 100% function over form.
The only reason that I used to care (with my car, motorcycle or bicycles) was because the bare metal would rust, but that isn't an issue with an aluminum frame.

,.. I have a whole drawer of nail polish.

I removed my gas cap cover from my car and took it into Canadians Tire looking for a touch up paint that was the right color, but unfortunately, there was no exact match for my car.

I managed to find nail polish at the dollar store that was an exact match.

The only problem I had with it was after a few years the nail polish faded and looked dull.
A proper clear coat on top of the nail polish may have prevented the fading?
They also sell clear nail polish, but I don't know if it's as good as proper clear coat?

I removed my gas cap cover from my car and took it into Canadians Tire looking for a touch up paint that was the right color, but unfortunately, there was no exact match for my car.

I managed to find nail polish at the dollar store that was an exact match.

The only problem I had with it was after a few years the nail polish faded and looked dull.
A proper clear coat on top of the nail polish may have prevented the fading?
They also sell clear nail polish, but I don't know if it's as good as proper clear coat?
Beauty stores have topcoat clearcoat gel that sets with UV. You can also get matt finish UV gel. That said, some people say that when you buy a new bike toss it over to get that out of the way so you can ride it without worry of beauty and perfection.

Back