Torque for Trek Allant 9.9s Crank Arm Bolt

madave

Region
USA
City
Boston
Hi, everyone. My left side crank arm separated from my bike on a recent ride. The bike was purchased new and has about 400 miles total on the odometer. I felt no looseness at all leading up to the separation — all of a sudden the arm, bolt and the pedal assembly were gone and I had to walk back to retrieve them.

Nothing is damaged (except for a scrape in the paint on the arm from road rash). Now I’m wondering what the recommended torque setting is. Can’t seem to find that information anywhere.

Anyone have the service books?

Thanks!

Hi, everyone. My left side crank arm separated from my bike on a recent ride. The bike was purchased new and has about 400 miles total on the odometer. I felt no looseness at all leading up to the separation — all of a sudden the arm, bolt and the pedal assembly were gone and I had to walk back to retrieve them.

Nothing is damaged (except for a scrape in the paint on the arm from road rash). Now I’m wondering what the recommended torque setting is. Can’t seem to find that information anywhere.

Anyone have the service books?

Thanks!
I dont think there are specs. by the time the arm is on its as tight as it needs to go. not sure what version you have some bolts act as self extracting to take the arm off somejustt hold it on and you need a crank puller.

Thanks, @fooferdoggie. Yeah. I am a little baffled about it coming loose in the first place. So was my bike shop. They've not heard of this happening before.

Though I haven’t ridden it in about a year, I have a 9.9s in my garage. I don’t recall hearing anything about the crank arm falling off, but there was a recall related to pedals not being torqued properly at the factory. I got a notice, but checked mine and they seemed fine.

Back