Took my Como 5 in for firmware update - cost me $3750

Jeffmc306

I took my Como 5 into the LBS to get the motor and display firmware updated. While we were there I asked if they had any low-step small frame Comos because my wife wanted to try one since I really like mine. The salesperson said he didn’t think so but would check.

A few minutes later he came out with a Mint Green Como 4 low-step small frame. She took it for a spin around the parking lot and came back with a big smile. She said it was so comfortable and just felt perfect. She had an iZip Zuma before getting an I.C.E Adventure recumbent trike with Shimano Steps assist last fall. While the recumbent was great for her knee replacement, she missed the upright riding and vision you loose with a ‘bent. We did install a Hase Crank Shortener which helped with her knee extension.

She wasn’t knocked out about the color at first and asked the salesperson what else they had in their store’s system. He said there was one other low-step in small but it was also Mint Green. She decided the color wasn’t so bad and decided to take it. Bonus: Hers has the light in the rear fender, not under the seat! I moved the Crank Shortener to the Como 4 and now she can ride without any trouble.

We’re excited to have his and hers Comos for the summer camping season. Oh, yeah I did get my Como 5’s firmware updated!

PS: Know anyone looking for a like new I.C.E Adventure?

Attachments

• ED2FAD89-EEE3-478F-B5A1-38A472CD26C4.jpeg
    ED2FAD89-EEE3-478F-B5A1-38A472CD26C4.jpeg
    542.3 KB · Views: 621
  • 03C38C6F-3F32-40CD-B140-F2CB9CAB0806.jpeg
    03C38C6F-3F32-40CD-B140-F2CB9CAB0806.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 625
  • C11176DA-723E-4A69-8AE1-2EA4DFCDED0D.jpeg
    C11176DA-723E-4A69-8AE1-2EA4DFCDED0D.jpeg
    626.2 KB · Views: 591
  • ECCDED57-EF77-4996-8B07-1DC7AD78C68C.jpeg
    ECCDED57-EF77-4996-8B07-1DC7AD78C68C.jpeg
    709 KB · Views: 648
I took my Como 5 into the LBS to get the motor and display firmware updated. While we were there I asked if they had any low-step small frame Comos because my wife wanted to try one since I really like mine. The salesperson said he didn’t think so but would check.

A few minutes later he came out with a Mint Green Como 4 low-step small frame. She took it for a spin around the parking lot and came back with a big smile. She said it was so comfortable and just felt perfect. She had an iZip Zuma before getting an I.C.E Adventure recumbent trike with Shimano Steps assist last fall. While the recumbent was great for her knee replacement, she missed the upright riding and vision you loose with a ‘bent. We did install a Hase Crank Shortener which helped with her knee extension.

She wasn’t knocked out about the color at first and asked the salesperson what else they had in their store’s system. He said there was one other low-step in small but it was also Mint Green. She decided the color wasn’t so bad and decided to take it. Bonus: Hers has the light in the rear fender, not under the seat! I moved the Crank Shortener to the Como 4 and now she can ride without any trouble.

We’re excited to have his and hers Comos for the summer camping season. Oh, yeah I did get my Como 5’s firmware updated!

Congratulations. My wife and I bought 2021 Como 4 and Como 5 right before the price increase. My wifes frame is charcoal and mine is a blueish gray. We sold our 2019 Como 2's which we loved but we needed more speed and larger capcity batteries. There is a noticable difference in motor performance, shifting and overall feel of the ride versus our Como 2's. We both have Kinect seatposts and Topeak rear racks too.

Congratulations. My wife and I bought 2021 Como 4 and Como 5 right before the price increase. My wifes frame is charcoal and mine is a blueish gray. We sold our 2019 Como 2's which we loved but we needed more speed and larger capcity batteries. There is a noticable difference in motor performance, shifting and overall feel of the ride versus our Como 2's. We both have Kinect seatposts and Topeak rear racks too.
Ebiker53, how do you like the Kinect seatposts? Do your Como’s have the rear light under the seat? My wife’s Como 4 came with the rear fender light but mine is under the seat. If so, did you reroute the wire in the Kinect? She asked if there was a way to raise the stem a little so I’ll be looking for one. They are awesome bikes!

We have camping trips each month from May through October and the bikes are going along! I made a rack to hold them inside our Airstream travel trailer. Can’t wait!

Attachments

• BB181E71-0798-4D11-88E7-E1F8CF50699F.jpeg
    BB181E71-0798-4D11-88E7-E1F8CF50699F.jpeg
    745.2 KB · Views: 468
  • D488198C-B4A7-4D14-BC84-B63BA8B8D475.jpeg
    D488198C-B4A7-4D14-BC84-B63BA8B8D475.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 441
  • D6A59B5A-8B35-418E-962A-3390F7BAF2E5.jpeg
    D6A59B5A-8B35-418E-962A-3390F7BAF2E5.jpeg
    986.2 KB · Views: 469
Ebiker53, how do you like the Kinect seatposts? Do your Como’s have the rear light under the seat? My wife’s Como 4 came with the rear fender light but mine is under the seat. If so, did you reroute the wire in the Kinect? She asked if there was a way to raise the stem a little so I’ll be looking for one. They are awesome bikes!

We have camping trips each month from May through October and the bikes are going along! I made a rack to hold them inside our Airstream travel trailer. Can’t wait!
EXCELLENT idea on those racks. And the truck ... And the trailer. Dude you are livin the dream! ( I'd put a critter catcher in front of that Dodge's expensive grill work though.)

We love the Kinect seatposts, they really help smooth out the ride. Both of our Como's are 2021 models with the rear light mounted on the fender so we didn't have to reroute the wire through the seatpost. I made an upright bike carrier like yours but still had to remove the front fenders on both bikes. Both bikes have dry tech fenders that wrap around the front wheel and have only 6" ground clearance on the backside so they hit the ground when you remove the front wheel.

Attachments

• image001.jpeg
    image001.jpeg
    196.9 KB · Views: 433
  • image002.jpeg
    image002.jpeg
    198.6 KB · Views: 400
Last edited:
We love the Kinect seatposts, they really help smooth out the ride. Both of our Como's are 2021 models with the rear light mounted on the fender so we didn't have to reroute the wire through the seatpost. I made an upright bike carrier like yours but still had to remove the front fenders on both bikes. Both bikes have dry tech fenders that wrap around the front wheel and have only 6" ground clearance on the backside so they hit the ground when you remove the front wheel.
Thanks for sharing the photos! I’m envious of the dry tech metal fenders with the rear light. I found my Como 5 at the end of last year when they had plastic fenders. We’ll definitely check out the seat posts. I did have to remove the fender on my wife’s bike and the pizza rack from mine to get them on the rack. I’m going to buy some spare set screws for the fender rods since I forgot to tighten them and we took a quick ride without the fender. Came back with one!

EXCELLENT idea on those racks. And the truck ... And the trailer. Dude you are livin the dream! ( I'd put a critter catcher in front of that Dodge's expensive grill work though.)
Thanks Reed, I retired last May and must say we are “livin the dream”. We got the Airstream and truck the year before COVID in preparation of retirement. Lucky we did because everyone went out and bought RV’s and bikes during the pandemic. Airstream production is into November for new units and the dealers don’t have any on the lot for sale - taking orders only.

We’re in the Midwest so critters are smaller but we have encountered some larger ones while camping. We had a moose walk though the campground where that photo of the truck and trailer was taken in Rocky Mountain National Park! Bullwinkle was found in the bushes later taking a nap. They said he was an adolescent - not full grown. Looks pretty big to me...

Attachments

• 053EAB25-C8BC-418A-BE0D-91D6805E6208.jpeg
    053EAB25-C8BC-418A-BE0D-91D6805E6208.jpeg
    497.9 KB · Views: 316
We just picked up the exact mint Como 4.0 step through. I thought it was interesting that the rear light was on the fender and not the seat like other Comos. It looks like your is on the fender too. I think that is a better placement than on the seat where it is easily covered by a jacket. Does any one know the story behind that?

Thanks

Mando Dave, when we found my wife’s Mint Green Como 4, the dealer said they were still getting Comos in with the light under the seat while others have it on the fender. He said there was no logic to why but the “newest” bikes seem to be all on the fender. You and Ebiker53 scored with three fender light bikes!

Mando Dave, when we found my wife’s Mint Green Como 4, the dealer said they were still getting Comos in with the light under the seat while others have it on the fender. He said there was no logic to why but the “newest” bikes seem to be all on the fender. You and Ebiker53 scored with three fender light bikes!
Just curious when your bikes were manufactured. Ours were both made in November 2020 so they are really new. The 2019 Como's we previously owned were manufactured in 2017 and were almost 2 years old when we bought them. The battery on my 2019 was nearly 3 years old at the time.

Where did you find the date of manufacture? I looked all over both bikes and cannot find a label. I’m wondering if the LBS removed them before sale?

Look inside the battery compartment at least that's where it was on the older Turbo's. There should be two manufacturing dates one for the frame and one for the bike assembly. They make the frames in batches and may have a much earlier date if there are no frame changes due to model year. The bike serial number will show the actual assembly date. The battery should also have it's own serial number and manufacturing date. The "how do I register my bike" on the Specialized faq lists the bike serial number locations. There is no way a bike shop would remove it.

Where did you find the date of manufacture? I looked all over both bikes and cannot find a label. I’m wondering if the LBS removed them before sale?
On my Como 5 the sticker is on the underside of the down tube below the seat. It is a white sticker about 1 1/2" long by 1/2" wide. On my wifes step through it is also on the underside of the downtube just above the bottom of the battery compartment.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 277
On my Como 5 the sticker is on the underside of the down tube below the seat. It is a white sticker about 1 1/2" long by 1/2" wide. On my wifes step through it is also on the underside of the downtube just above the bottom of the battery compartment.
Thanks, I just found ours. I’ve got an ABUS lock under the top tube that partially hid the label. My label was wrinkled on the month/day/2019. I took a utility knife and gently peeled it back. My Como 5 was made 11/29/2019. The battery’s label says MADE DATE: 9. Ha!

My wife’s Como 4 was made 8/25/2020, same as Mando Dave’s. They’re twins separated at birth ;)

Attachments

• EF5E770E-FADA-4376-92D2-0B8C0F0F92F3.jpeg
    EF5E770E-FADA-4376-92D2-0B8C0F0F92F3.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 263
  • 1A13E01E-E3D9-41B7-8E16-9C2CABEB2416.jpeg
    1A13E01E-E3D9-41B7-8E16-9C2CABEB2416.jpeg
    493.5 KB · Views: 282

How long did the update take?

Back