Too hot for me (and e-bikes)!

AlanDB

Region
USA
City
Iowa
E-bikes are staying in the Garage today, and batteries in the house A/C.

HotHot.jpg

(Captured on my backyard weather startion).

Last edited:
I road when ti was about 115 with my garmin reading road temps at 135. the e bike is the only way I could ride.

One thing I really like about pedal assist is that I can use it to go fast enough to get my own breeze whenever I need one.

I'm definitely not a warm weather person, but I can tolerate a lot more on a bike than on foot in the same situation! I realize it every time I come to a stop in an exposed spot on a hot day.

E-bikes are staying in the Garage today, and batteries in the house A/C.

View attachment 161196
(Captured on my backyard weather startion).
I get you. I was on a ride a couple of weeks ago when it was in the 90s. I thought the shady route would help. Then I nearly passed out from heat and dehydration during a several mile climb. Ebike didn’t help enough.

Ya. It's that hot here too. I've been riding early in the morning. When moving it is tolerable. When stopped it is brutal. After 10 or r 11 am..... Forget about it.

Ya. It's that hot here too. I've been riding early in the morning. When moving it is tolerable. When stopped it is brutal. After 10 or r 11 am..... Forget about it.
I walk my dog at 8 and on the bike at 8:30!

After my 4 mile 20 minute exercise route, I do a lap around my .8 mile block, throttle only!

And yes, I’m still pretty lathered up with sweat!

I walk my dog at 8 and on the bike at 8:30!

After my 4 mile 20 minute exercise route, I do a lap around my .8 mile block, throttle only!

And yes, I’m still pretty lathered up with sweat!
I feed the dog... Then ride 20 miles from 730a to 845a. Then walk the dog 1 mile... Water the plants.... Then hunker down and work in the AC till dinner. The heat should break on Saturday thank G-d. My humidity level and dew point make being outside past 10a miserable and unbearable.

I don't want to rush the season to fall.... But I'm ready.

Here in the Chicago area, it was 98F yesterday and close to 100F today. I'm always glum when it turns cold and the temperature is lower than my battery voltage. Gotta enjoy that hot weather. I rode last evening when it was about 93. Also this morning when it was 83 and just got back from another evening ride again at 93F. I'm lucky that we have a nice path that goes thru prairie, woods, and water. Startled a deer and almost ran over a rabbit lying prone on the pavement.

I feed the dog... Then ride 20 miles from 730a to 845a. Then walk the dog 1 mile... Water the plants.... Then hunker down and work in the AC till dinner. The heat should break on Saturday thank G-d. My humidity level and dew point make being outside past 10a miserable and unbearable.

I don't want to rush the season to fall.... But I'm ready.
Us SW Floridians welcome every November through May because of the break from heat/humidity!!

My garage is so hot this week that I am keeping my bike in the dining room lol.
I keep my charger in the house and when it’s time to charge, I bring the battery inside, let it sit for a couple of hours, then charge it inside!

I keep my charger in the house and when it’s time to charge, I bring the battery inside, let it sit for a couple of hours, then charge it inside!
You want to keep the battery inside for the entire summer in severe heat. You could be looking at a 120-degree plus garage and thats very bad for a battery even if its just sitting. Get over 140 and you are at risk of a thermal runaway event (i.e. spontaneous combustion). Which means you sure don't want to leave it in a car in a parking lot during the day, either.

Mine go inside the house in the summer. I move the charger indoors as well. At work fortunately I have a closed garage under a second floor so its not an oven, and I have two jobsite fans I run over the bike to keep it under 100 in there. They also work great to dry off my sweat before I go upstairs to work.

Its commonly 105-110 in Central California during the summer months, so I also take along two big bottles of water that I make sure are full before every ride. Get a flat in the sun and you will really want a lot of water on hand.

20230727_172340.jpg

Back