Ticking on right foot down pedal

mamerc

Cant find where this annoying "tick" is coming from on my 2013 Jumper on the right pedal down stroke. Took it to one of the best bike shops we have here in Redlands Ca. At first the tech adjusted gearing, he thought he had the problem fixed then on test ride it started up again. When I returned the bike after the test ride, I pushed down on the seat and we hear a squeak come from the framing of the bike. I left it overnight and when I picked it up, I was told most of the bolt heads throughout the bike were loose. They only charged be $10.00 but sure enough the tick is back. If I pedel slow, no tick. I had thought it was coming from the front derailer, may be a chain slapping something. Anyone out there have a guess? Earlier in the bikes history, a squeak was isolated to a loose battery. This is a "Click"

Cant find where this annoying "tick" is coming from on my 2013 Jumper on the right pedal down stroke. Took it to one of the best bike shops we have here in Redlands Ca. At first the tech adjusted gearing, he thought he had the problem fixed then on test ride it started up again. When I returned the bike after the test ride, I pushed down on the seat and we hear a squeak come from the framing of the bike. I left it overnight and when I picked it up, I was told most of the bolt heads throughout the bike were loose. They only charged be $10.00 but sure enough the tick is back. If I pedel slow, no tick. I had thought it was coming from the front derailer, may be a chain slapping something. Anyone out there have a guess? Earlier in the bikes history, a squeak was isolated to a loose battery. This is a "Click"

It could be the pedal bearings. Most times I get that tick...tick...tick... on every revolution it's the pedal bearings. It can happen with even the best pedals. Next I would look to the bottom bracket bearings. These ticks can happen due to dirt, lack of lubrication or incorrect torque applied to the bearings.

Ticks like this are usually bearings:

The reason it may go away when you pedal slower you put less torque on the bearings. It's an easy fix if it's just dirt; remove, clean, lube and replace. Replacing bearings is the same you just need new ones and they aren't expensive.

Typical of many pedals today:

I use Park Tool grease.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Cant find where this annoying "tick"

I've had similar problems in the past on several bikes that drove me crazy. I finally found out that the bolt holding the crank arm on had loosened. It is almost always the right crank (my dominant leg). The solution was Loctite 262 (red) threads only, not crank seat (tapered bore).. If you do Loctite the cranks, removal with a crank puller can become an issue. To remove the arms, I've had to heat the area where it connects to the crank to soften the Loctite.

This may or may not be the issue. You can tighten the fastener holding the crank arm to see if it stops before Loctiting. I found that even when I retighten the fastner eventually it backed out again.

Court J.

That may have been it! yes, the bolt turned. will need to take another ride later today to test it out.

That may have been it! yes, the bolt turned. will need to take another ride later today to test it out.
I would downgrade that bike shop from one of the best to one not so good if they allowed you to ride the bike with a loose crank bolt, after charging for going over the whole bike tightening loose bolts. I would also want a refund if they found many loose bolts yet missed the crank bolts.

Glad you got it sorted out!

I would downgrade that bike shop from one of the best to one not so good if they allowed you to ride the bike with a loose crank bolt, after charging for going over the whole bike tightening loose bolts. I would also want a refund if they found many loose bolts yet missed the crank bolts.

Glad you got it sorted out!
Had the same problem. Turned out to be the front derailleur cable end sticking out just enough to touch the left crank arm.

Back