This thing is a Drug

It is wild to think that my Trek 930-- steel, no suspension, of course-- was my mom's bike in New York in the mid-'90s. I moved to LA in 1991, and whenever I came home to visit from '95 onward, man, I coveted that thing! I did prefer my own Raleigh Competition road bike, which I kept at her apartment, for daytime fitness rides, but I rode the Trek a lot at night for visiting friends, and also for quick rides in Central Park when I knew I would be off the main paved route or doing curb-hopping, dirt paths, bridle paths, etc.

Mom would say, "Well, okay, you can ride the Trek, but be REALLY careful with it, and be sure to lower the seat when you're done!"

She was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1995, but kept commuting on the Trek for many years, until a near fall while commuting to work, I'm guessing about '99 or '00, hard to remember the date. She was not happy, but I told her I was so proud of her for riding for so long, and then making the right decision when the time came. Of course she did not sell the Trek, and I continued riding it when I visited.

In 2008, mom passed away and the bike was shipped out here. My Los Angeles bike at the time was a Raleigh M30 that I never liked as much, so as soon I got the Trek put together, that became my go-to ride and the M30 started gathering dust. In 2014 or so, I modded the Trek with the suspension stem and seat post, and it was much more fun to ride, but by 2020, it was too much work on these hills, and I was down to maybe a dozen rides a year.

Now the Trek is an e-bike and is going places I never could have taken it without a motor. It's fun thinking of all the changes its been through, from my mom to me, and from Central Park to Griffith park. I know Mom would be thrilled to know I've had so many adventures on her trusty steed! I pick up the new bike tomorrow, but the Trek will have many years of service yet-- my wife and friends will use it, and I'll use it myself for shorter fitness rides.
Great and touching story of a son’s devotion. Your mom would be very proud!👍
I had a Raleigh Competition that I rode a ton back in the late ‘70s and through the ‘80s.

I used to be an avid rider in the 70's and still have my Alan Record. Lost interest in riding for the last 35 years. Then about last year in Dec while in Florida I notice many ebikes riding my neighborhood. Did my usual research and discovered the M2S at a fair price. Ever since I've been addicted to riding, its such a high and added over 3000 kms last year. Now i'm adding the Frey CC mid drive which will arrive by June. With covid restrictions here in Canada I hope I can vacation in Fla this coming winter and bring down my m2s.

Attachments

• SportR500-030-1.jpg
    SportR500-030-1.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 201
It is wild to think that my Trek 930-- steel, no suspension, of course-- was my mom's bike in New York in the mid-'90s. I moved to LA in 1991, and whenever I came home to visit from '95 onward, man, I coveted that thing! I did prefer my own Raleigh Competition road bike, which I kept at her apartment, for daytime fitness rides, but I rode the Trek a lot at night for visiting friends, and also for quick rides in Central Park when I knew I would be off the main paved route or doing curb-hopping, dirt paths, bridle paths, etc.

Mom would say, "Well, okay, you can ride the Trek, but be REALLY careful with it, and be sure to lower the seat when you're done!"

She was diagnosed with Parkinson's in 1995, but kept commuting on the Trek for many years, until a near fall while commuting to work, I'm guessing about '99 or '00, hard to remember the date. She was not happy, but I told her I was so proud of her for riding for so long, and then making the right decision when the time came. Of course she did not sell the Trek, and I continued riding it when I visited.

In 2008, mom passed away and the bike was shipped out here. My Los Angeles bike at the time was a Raleigh M30 that I never liked as much, so as soon I got the Trek put together, that became my go-to ride and the M30 started gathering dust. In 2014 or so, I modded the Trek with the suspension stem and seat post, and it was much more fun to ride, but by 2020, it was too much work on these hills, and I was down to maybe a dozen rides a year.

Now the Trek is an e-bike and is going places I never could have taken it without a motor. It's fun thinking of all the changes its been through, from my mom to me, and from Central Park to Griffith park. I know Mom would be thrilled to know I've had so many adventures on her trusty steed! I pick up the new bike tomorrow, but the Trek will have many years of service yet-- my wife and friends will use it, and I'll use it myself for shorter fitness rides.

Wow Catalyst, what wonderful memories of your mom. Thank you for sharing them. If the Trek could take think of the wonderful adventures it would tell.

Back