This is a cool bike

Hi Jim.... I have certainly enjoyed reading about your ODK experience as the bike is at the top of my consideration list. Re your thoughts on security, I agree 100% that as e-bikes continue to catch on -- thieves will target the batteries.

I can appreciate the thought that went into the pin code idea as further protection but believe that a solution starts with an easy to remove and carry battery. As you noted it can currently be removed with a simple tool and I'm not sure any latch or lock would not be just as easily defeated. Tora designed a really nice bike with modular simplicity and good specs all around....except for the "stays onboard battery" concept. Where I live, it gets cold 5 months out of the year and that's not good for the battery life. I'm holding out for a battery that can be easily removed for both charging and security. I noticed Bionx added a nice retractable handle to their batteries for easy carrying and would like to see something similar for any e-bike

Looking forward to your further updates. Ride-on safely and with great gusto!
Now that you mention it, I think one of these afternoons when I'm really motivated, I'm going to pull the battery off the bike, first to find out how much it weighs, and second to find out just how rapidly I can remove and replace it. Because if I can pop it on and off the bike reasonably quickly, that would allay the biggest of my fears. I'll post soon.

PS I have an old plastic container on wheels that I strapped to my caisson with bungie cords. Now I can carry at least a weeks's worth of groceries on my bike. Yes, it increases the nerd factor by a power of 10, but I don't have to start-up the car.
IMG_20151015_080149243.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been using my caisson for grocery shopping up until tonight when I thought I could fit everything in the front basket and in a large travel bag on the rear rack. Everything fit, but it was a little tight for some of the food. I smashed a perfectly good loaf of bread into the shape of a tub of yogurt. Right now I've got that loaf of bread on life support after trying to re-inflate it back to normal size. I don't think it's doing so well though. I may be having some odd-shaped sandwiches at my house, at least for a little while.

To fix this problem in the future, I decided to buy a set of Wald 582 folding baskets for the rear cage--for those times when I need a large amount of carrying space, but not enough to require pulling out the massive caisson. Here's the link to the site: http://m.waldsports.com/index.cfm/store/rear-baskets/582-rear-folding-basket/. I believe they should clamp onto the side of the rear rack just fine because The ODK has that normal-diameter rack rail just beneath the main rail. I'll let you know how it goes in a couple of days. By the way, I bought the Wald basket through Amazon because 1) it was slightly cheaper, and 2) because they only take PayPal at the Wald website.

Hey all! My turn for a happy announcement: my ODK 500 V3 has arrived! And so far, it has met or exceeded my expectations. Not in my wildest dreams did I expect it to ship with a Grin Technologies Cycle Satiator® programable battery charger. A $300 pop from the the get-go. My Juiced was expertly set up by my dealer— Mr. Wake Gregg at the eBike Store in Portland Oregon. He also put on a Grin Technologies Cycle Analyst® ebike computer (at my request,) which provides me with all the dynamic information I want to know about my battery pack, trip statistics, as well as being a real time speedometer and odometer. The bike, a flat black 23Ah model came without a scratch or a blemish. It is solidly built short and stout, and the weighty feel contributes to a very secure and substantial rider's experience. The motor really feels responsive and powerful, and has hills for breakfast!
Well, my Internet repair man is here so I have to go now, but more later.

YEAH!

That's great, Mr. Rabbit. I want to get the Cycle Analyst as well. Tora doesn't have any in stock; he only has the cables for it, so I'm going to have to order it from a dealer. Is your dealer contact info this: 809 N ROSA PARKS WAY PORTLAND? And if so, could I ask how much they charge for the Cycle Analyst?

You're so right about this bike taking hills like they're nothing. Like I said in my earlier post, last night I went shopping, but on the way down this huge hill near my house, I realized I had forgotten the shopping list. As I was thinking about what I should do next, I passed a guy on a bike heading up the hill. It was going to be a wasted outing without that list, so I decided to turn around, go back home and get it.

I easily caught up to the guy who was by now working hard chugging his way up the the hill. I felt a little guilty as I whooshed by him. In fact, I felt so guilty that I swung out into the street as wide as I could, so as not to disturb his space with my hurricane-like wake. (If there were any other way to get back to my house without having to fly past that guy, I would have taken it.) I felt embarrassed for him and for me. I'm sure he thought I was trying to show-off, and there was nothing I could have said to convince him otherwise. But as I did my "drive-by," I looked over my right shoulder, flashed an impromptu hand sign and shouted, JUICED ride-ERRRRRS!

You sure had me laughing Jim W, at your story (above) about passing the unmotorized cyclist on the hill. I think I would have felt just like you: an odd combination of guilt and heady exhilaration! I also would have felt bad for the guy but lucky to be me, 'cause it's better to be the windshield than the bug. Here now is a first picture of my new black Juiced with the EMGO® locking trunk on the back and a Light & Motion® Urban350 headlight and the Cycle Analyst® installed on the handle bars.image.jpeg Oh, and speaking of the CA, the model that works with the Juiced Riders shunt is the CA-SA model. Jim W you have the correct contact info (Zip Code 97217) for the eBike Store in Portland, but as far as what I was charged— Well, let's just say that sometimes you might expect to pay a little less if you have a dealer install an "add on" item at delivery, than if one waits until a latter date because the bike is already up on the service rack for pre-delivery inspection and adjustments. So maybe what I was charged wouldn't be a fair comparison. You see what I'm saying? I can only tell you that based on the great way I was treated, I would expect anyone to get a very fair price and terrific service from this store!

I like the rear box, Mr. Rabbit. It looks very solid, and it also looks like the top box I have on my motorcycle. I like the fact that you have a water bottle already. That's another item I'm going to have to get soon. By the way, I contacted Tora about the CA. He said that when I'm ready to buy, he'd order it for me and install it when it arrives. So, I guess I'll just hold my horses until I can save up some more money.

Black was my original choice of colors, but I changed my mind at some point after placing my order. I'm still partial to black though. It seems as if its more in line with the rugged but sexy look of the bike. You have a very classy ride. I myself have gotten at least a couple of compliments from people every time I take the bike out on the road.

Finally, I am very impressed with the bike's performance under heavy loads. I had my caisson weighted down big time with groceries the other day, and the front basket was full too. Even so, I experienced no changes in handling or steering going up steep hills, across bumpy roads or simply going downhill. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference between a ride with no trailer or other weight, and a fully-loaded ride. You give the bike throttle, a turning input or brakes and it responds accordingly with no surprises. I think that with just a little bit more armor on the sides, you could actually take this bike into combat.

Ya Jim W! Take advantage of your prime Juiced Riders location and go through Tora for your CA when you're ready. (And by the way, IMHO your blue ODK 500 looks every bit as rugged and sexy as my black one sir.) And by the way #2 We musicians sure keep "musician's hours" don't we? Back on topic: I too am impressed and frankly surprised by the power, and handling performance of this "car replacement vehicle."
And after getting it home after a good workout, I've barely put a dent in my battery Ah reserve! Wow.

Congratulations, Mr. Rabbit! Your new bike is beautiful!

I finally got a trailer. I'd been watching the bike trailers on Craigslist for a few months, but didn't find anything in good condition within easy driving distance, so I bit the bullet and ordered a new one. I ended up getting a Burley flatbed (https://burley.com/product/flatbed/). It's versatile, fairly lightweight, and quick to assemble and attach. I'm looking forward to my next shopping trip.

Congratulations, Mr. Rabbit! Your new bike is beautiful!

I finally got a trailer. I'd been watching the bike trailers on Craigslist for a few months, but didn't find anything in good condition within easy driving distance, so I bit the bullet and ordered a new one. I ended up getting a Burley flatbed (https://burley.com/product/flatbed/). It's versatile, fairly lightweight, and quick to assemble and attach. I'm looking forward to my next shopping trip.
Very classy hauler. You can carry so much groceries in that thing, it's not even funny.

FOLLOW-UP TO EARLIER POST!

My side baskets arrived within two days of ordering them from Amazon. Actually it was a third-party named Treasure Gifts that sent them. I ordered two, but they arrived with only enough hardware to mount one basket. I e-mailed Treasure Gifts requesting they send me the additional hardware, but in the interim I went to Home Depot and bought some stainless steel straps which worked just fine. Treasure Gifts responded a couple of days later and said they would send out the mounting hardware. When I told them I had already bought something that worked just as well, they refunded me the cost of the hardware I bought. They didn't even ask for a receipt. I thought that was very nice of them.

The Wald baskets work just fine, and the cool thing is that they fold up flat if I don't need them. Taking them completely off simply requires a screwdriver and a couple of minutes. They did scratch the paint a little, but I don't mind. I'd recommend these baskets for carrying groceries. Mine have carried several loads thus far. I keep them fully extended all the time, even when I'm pulling the caisson.

Very classy hauler. You can carry so much groceries in that thing, it's not even funny.

Thanks! I put a very not-classy plastic tub on the flatbed and secured it with bungee cords. I'll keep an eye out for a better-looking carrier, maybe some kind of water resistant duffle bag. Either way, my new "rig" should be a big help on shopping days. It's also easier for me to deploy the double kickstand without so much weight loaded directly on the bike.

An interesting note: the Burley instructions say not to drive over 15 mph with the trailer. I wonder what happens if you do go faster... Anyone know why there is a restriction?

FOLLOW-UP TO EARLIER POST!

The Wald baskets work just fine, and the cool thing is that they fold up flat if I don't need them. Taking them completely off simply requires a screwdriver and a couple of minutes. They did scratch the paint a little, but I don't mind. I'd recommend these baskets for carrying groceries. Mine have carried several loads thus far. I keep them fully extended all the time, even when I'm pulling the caisson.

The Wald baskets look great! With those and your trailer, you will be able to carry a huge amount.

Thanks! I put a very not-classy plastic tub on the flatbed and secured it with bungee cords. I'll keep an eye out for a better-looking carrier, maybe some kind of water resistant duffle bag. Either way, my new "rig" should be a big help on shopping days. It's also easier for me to deploy the double kickstand without so much weight loaded directly on the bike.

An interesting note: the Burley instructions say not to drive over 15 mph with the trailer. I wonder what happens if you do go faster... Anyone know why there is a restriction?
I don't know the real reason for the restriction, but my guess is that the manufacturer wants to avoid any potential for "high-speed" wobble that can occur if you're pulling a trailer without a stabilizer bar. Maybe they believe the trailer could start oscillating back and forth until it's weight, multiplied by its leverage, caused you to lose control of your bike. I didn't realize that could happen with bike/trailer combinations at the speeds we travel. But I suppose if you were whipping down a steep hill, throwing caution to the wind . . . .

And by the way, I have a name for my trailer when it's fitted-out for grocery shopping (black plastic tool box strapped down to the bed with bungee chords): The Clampett Mobile. The only thing that's missing is granny's rocking chair strapped up on top.
images.jpeg

Last edited:
Jim, I bet you are right about speed potentially affecting trailer and bike stability. Wobbling is no fun and fifteen mph should be fine for me.

The Clampett Mobile is hysterical! Well, we don't need to look cool for grocery shopping... and I don't. I haven't come up with any names for my bike, except to call it the ODK, although I haven't been able to find out what that means.

Hope you guys enjoy your rides..Just want to suggest a better more reliable tire than those Kendas.

A 16" Moped tire fits perfectly on a 20" bicycle tire rim. (Bicycle size uses tire OD, Moped and MC tire size is based on rim size).

I had 3x20" Kenda tires on my A2B Metro and had multiple problems with flats.. After 2 years I gave up and switched to 2.25x16 Shinko SR714 Moped tires.. Not only did i stop getting flats, I didn't even have to top off the tire pressure for months.

Moped tires are DOT rated for load and speed and are way over built for bicycles.. The only downside is that they are a bit stiffer, and harder.

You have to figure out your tire size and what you can fit on your frame...

Some people go with the more expensive Pirelli brand Moped tires.

Either way, don't live with lousy tires, they will aggravate you to no end!

http://www.solomotoparts.com/Shinko-SR714-Moped-Tire-Front-Rear/?gclid=CKbrru7j7MgCFcsWHwod1qgJZA

Hope you guys enjoy your rides..Just want to suggest a better more reliable tire than those Kendas.

A 16" Moped tire fits perfectly on a 20" bicycle tire rim. (Bicycle size uses tire OD, Moped and MC tire size is based on rim size).

I had 3x20" Kenda tires on my A2B Metro and had multiple problems with flats.. After 2 years I gave up and switched to 2.25x16 Shinko SR714 Moped tires.. Not only did i stop getting flats, I didn't even have to top off the tire pressure for months.

Moped tires are DOT rated for load and speed and are way over built for bicycles.. The only downside is that they are a bit stiffer, and harder.

You have to figure out your tire size and what you can fit on your frame...

Some people go with the more expensive Pirelli brand Moped tires.

Either way, don't live with lousy tires, they will aggravate you to no end!

http://www.solomotoparts.com/Shinko-SR714-Moped-Tire-Front-Rear/?gclid=CKbrru7j7MgCFcsWHwod1qgJZA

I'll keep this info in mind. Of course, I can't imagine trying to get one of those moped tires off my bike's rim, as stiff as they are. Do you think the additional stiffness causes problems with tire changes? Would you need specialized tools to mount and dismount a moped tire?

Congratulations, Mr. Rabbit! Your new bike is beautiful
THANK YOU @maraetsky. That made Rabbit very hoppy to hear. I didn't know it would be this much fun to ride too. Oh, and Burley is another great Oregon company. I also have been eyeing the Burley Flatbed trailer, but I can't seem to justify it for my use. I shop for one and almost daily, so my cargo is too small to warrant a trailer. Sometimes I like putting my ODK on the MAX Train (our public transit,) to get me out of the inner city faster where riding is more fun and there's less traffic to contend with. Well, there's no way I could get my bike on the train with a trailer attached. I'd like something like the side baskets that Jim W has put on his ODK, but larger so I could carry my camping gear. My idea is to pack up my all my camp kit on my bike, ride it to the MAX, board the train to downtown where I'll transfer to another line that will take me out just less than 10 miles from a year round State Park campground! Pitch my tarp tent and practice some bushcraft. In closing, just got to give a big shoutout @ Jim W for the "Clampett Mobile." Fell off my seat!

@Jim W I replace all the tires and tubes on my bikes, all 5 of them. The moped tires are a little stiffer but did not require any special tools to remove or install. Just the regular tire levers. Based on the blogs I see in Endless Sphere, everyone seems to prefer them over Kendas or anything else.. And some people spend a lot of time and money converting their 26" tire setup to some motorcycle rim and tire set up for the same reason. You're lucky with the 20" tires because it's an easy upgrade.

If you're a daily commuter or experience a lot of flats, the moped tire conversion is extremely easy and effective.. Much more so than workarounds like slime, tire liners etc etc. And strange as it seems the tires cost less.

Hi Joe,

Thanks for the information. I got my ODK last April and have not had tire issues, but I am not a commuter any more. Do you know how the moped tires would they affect the ride of the bike, considering it doesn't have a suspension system? I wouldn't want it to be bouncier :)

THANK YOU @maraetsky. That made Rabbit very hoppy to hear. I didn't know it would be this much fun to ride too. Oh, and Burley is another great Oregon company. I also have been eyeing the Burley Flatbed trailer, but I can't seem to justify it for my use. I shop for one and almost daily, so my cargo is too small to warrant a trailer. Sometimes I like putting my ODK on the MAX Train (our public transit,) to get me out of the inner city faster where riding is more fun and there's less traffic to contend with. Well, there's no way I could get my bike on the train with a trailer attached. I'd like something like the side baskets that Jim W has put on his ODK, but larger so I could carry my camping gear. My idea is to pack up my all my camp kit on my bike, ride it to the MAX, board the train to downtown where I'll transfer to another line that will take me out just less than 10 miles from a year round State Park campground! Pitch my tarp tent and practice some bushcraft. In closing, just got to give a big shoutout @ Jim W for the "Clampett Mobile." Fell off my seat!

The Burley Flatbed was an investment, but I was ready and hope to keep it forever. The last time I went grocery shopping gave me a shove towards buying. I had to stop at an intersection. The road was sloped and the bike was so heavily laden with groceries, I just couldn't keep it upright and ended up dropping it. Some things went flying, but only one egg broke. Aargh! I refused to give up and ordered the Burley.

I love your touring and camping ideas! When I first got the bike, I proposed that DH get an electric bike, too, and we could go touring and camping in the lovely New England countryside and state parks. (I already have my parks pass.) Sadly, he's not interested. He did like an alternate idea, that we load the bikes on our pickup and drive to a good trail. The ODK is too heavy for a regular bike rack, so I think we would need the kind of rack that can carry motocross bikes. I'll save up for that.

Back