This is a cool bike

Hey all you Juiced Riders fans,
'Just wanted you to know that since I posted a link on our Forum here to the Juiced Riders Fans Wiki, I also posted a link on that website to our venerable Electric Bike Review Community- Juiced Riders Forum. That way, more folks will learn about the great community we're building here and they can come join in the fun too! Oh, and Jim— I also can't wait to see your "Howitzer Trailer." (What a hilarious description you came up with, Man. Keep dishin' up the smiles!)

Hey! Finally found a site that is talking about juiced riders, last month i was on vacation in Bend Oregon and stopped in at Bend E bikes, i rented 2 bikes for the day for my wife and myself. By the end of the day i had to have one so Bend eletric bikes was happy to ship one to my house in Pennsylvania it was a little crazy it took more than 3 weeks to arrive but two weeks ago it finally showed up 23a flat black this is such a sweet ride! since then we have put over 200 miles on it unfortunately i do not live in a bike friendly town but i am able to commute to work most days and the reason i say most days is because i now have an unforseen problem...my wife wants to ride it as well, this is such a great bike if the weather didnt get so bad here i could see this as a car replacement vehicle also just a quick thought i never had to order the bike it was there and they shipped it i guess lucky me.

Welcome Ken,
So great to hear you discovered what a really cool bike Juiced Riders is, right here in beautiful Oregon, and you were lucky enough for your bike to be on hand to be shipped to you in beautiful Pennsylvania. Even though I'm still waiting for my bike, I don't begrudge the pleasure you're having enjoying Your new bike, as long as you share your experiences with us like you have. 'Just wets my appetite and gets me more jazzed for my Juiced Riders flat black 23Ah cargo to arrive! Oh, and not to meddle, but sounds like it would be good lookin' out if wife had her very own too, huh.

image.jpg
Jes waitin' for the September shipment to get here from across the mighty Pacific! Are these the containers full of our JUICED RIDERS? Oh, I can hardly wait!

I know! I just happened to be perusing the Juiced Riders site last evening, hoping for an update, when I saw the additional photos. I'm expecting a phone call from them any day now.Then I'll have to decide how I'm going to get down their to pick it up. I think it's compact enough to fit in the trunk of my Civic without too much fuss. We;ll have to see. Of course Tora jokingly told me that he'd hand-deliver mine to me since I'm so close to the warehouse. (Maybe he was serious.)

Forgive me if everybody already knows, but I just recently found out that our beloved Juiced Riders ODK500 is one of five nominees for the Interbike 2015 E-Bike Of The Year!

E-Bike Action – Product Awards
18. E-Bike of the Year - This award represents any complete bike that was deemed a model year 2014 product and was submitted for review by the EBA staff between July 1st, 2014 and June 15th, 2015. The bikes nominated were also required to have been in production and available at retail within this timeframe.

 Haibike XDURO Race
 Juiced Riders ODK500 ⬅️
 Stromer ST2
 E-Joe Koda
 Focus Thron 27R 3.0

Exciting stuff!

Last edited:
I have the ODK now! I met Tora and his crew down at the warehouse this afternoon. Those guys have been working non-stop since the last shipment arrived. My bike was waiting for me when I got there. I bought one of those M1-A1 Abrams front baskets that are so popular with the ODK. Tora put it on while I waited. He also showed me a line-up of passenger seats he sells. There's the adult seat that you've probably seen in one of his videos, and then there are three different child seats for various ages and sizes. I'm planning on coming back in a few weeks and getting one of the child seats so my granddaughter and I can do some tooling around town together.

And before I left the warehouse, Tora gave me the upgraded charger. This thing allows me to select whether I want a full charge, a partial charge (80%), a fast full charge, a slow full charge or a storage charge. Tora advised me that I could do a full charge after each ride, but doing it that way leaves the battery with a rated 500 charge/discharge cycles. However, if I used the partial charge after each ride (unless of course I had a lot of riding to do and needed the full battery) and rode the bike until the battery got down to about 20%, I could easily increase the life of the battery approximately another 500 to 1,000 charge/discharge cycles. I'm all for the increased battery life.

I rode the bike home and quickly attached my caisson and howitzer for a test ride. I rode it to the nearby community college and back (about seven miles round trip). The ride was perfect on the street. I had no problems negotiating two pretty steep hills. The bike pulled me (220 lbs.), and the caisson/howitzer combo (~60 lbs.) with no issues. It helped to do a little pedaling while going up the hills, but with a choice of three pedal gears, I could feel the added boost to the battery power. The 32 Ah has A LOT of power. The only problem, which had nothing to do with the bike itself, came when I got on this dilapidated stretch of bike path. Roots had caused the asphalt to buckle so high it was like riding through an obstacle course. I had to slow way down for fear of damaging my howitzer (bari saxophone). But other than this short setback, my bike and howitzer did fine.

I love this bike, especially the fact that I can get as much or as little of a workout as I want thanks to the ODK's throttle and gear systems. They are independent of each other, so I can shift gears whether I'm standing still or moving. I also like the fact that the bike can carry everything I need, but it's versatile enough that I can add a caisson or trailer and it still has power to spare. Most of my needs will be met with the M1-A1 Abrams front basket and the multi-purpose rear rack, but if I ever need to bring my fifth-wheel along to go camping or do a concert . . . well, as you can see, I'm ready.

Here are a couple of photos of the rig:
IMG_20151011_151438347.jpg
IMG_20151011_151601724.jpg

I have the ODK now! I met Tora and his crew down at the warehouse this afternoon. Those guys have been working non-stop since the last shipment arrived. My bike was waiting for me when I got there. I bought one of those M1-A1 Abrams front baskets that are so popular with the ODK. Tora put it on while I waited. He also showed me a line-up of passenger seats he sells. There's the adult seat that you've probably seen in one of his videos, and then there are three different child seats for various ages and sizes. I'm planning on coming back in a few weeks and getting one of the child seats so my granddaughter and I can do some tooling around town together.

And before I left the warehouse, Tora gave me the upgraded charger. This thing allows me to select whether I want a full charge, a partial charge (80%), a fast full charge, a slow full charge or a storage charge. Tora advised me that I could do a full charge after each ride, but doing it that way leaves the battery with a rated 500 charge/discharge cycles. However, if I used the partial charge after each ride (unless of course I had a lot of riding to do and needed the full battery) and rode the bike until the battery got down to about 20%, I could easily increase the life of the battery approximately another 500 to 1,000 charge/discharge cycles. I'm all for the increased battery life.

I love this bike, especially the fact that I can get as much or as little of a workout as I want thanks to the ODK's throttle and gear systems. They are independent of each other, so I can shift gears whether I'm standing still or moving. I also like the fact that the bike can carry everything I need, but it's versatile enough that I can add a caisson or trailer and it still has power to spare. Most of my needs will be met with the M1-A1 Abrams front basket and the multi-purpose rear rack, but if I ever need to bring my fifth-wheel along to go camping or do a concert . . . well, as you can see, I'm ready.

Here are a couple of photos of the rig: View attachment 4583 View attachment 4584

Congratulations, Jim!!
Beautiful and what charger are you talking about? Is it the Satiator?
32Ah is quite a bit and you could charge just once a week ;) hehe

Wow Jim. What a beautiful sight! Thank you sir, for making good on your promises to give us your report with pictures on Sunday. And Tora himself put on your optional front basket! He must have a heart of gold and loves making satisfied customers. Congrats Jim! And excellent job on your custom made caisson too. Happy tooling around town on your new Juiced Rider. Are you going to give it a nick name?

Yes, Ravi, it's the Satiator. It's really light-weight. And Mr. Rabbit, I hadn't really thought about Christening it, but now that you brought it up, I'll give it some thought.

By the way, for anyone else who might be wondering about how tall the seat post is, I've got a 39" inseam. I adjusted the height to just under its maximum. But after riding the bike awhile, I may lower it just a tad bit more. The seat is actually very comfortable, but once I got home I swapped it for a Brooks saddle I had on another bike.

Isn't that battery beautify? It looks like a bank safety deposit box. I'm going to buy a few plastic milk crates from Walmart and install them on the caisson so I can take the bike grocery shopping. You should have seen the people who were giving me stares this afternoon. A couple of folks drove up along side and paced me for a block or so just to check out what I had going. I felt so nerdy and yet so cool all at the same time.

Wow Jim. What a beautiful sight! Thank you sir, for making good on your promises to give us your report with pictures on Sunday. And Tora himself put on your optional front basket! He must have a heart of gold and loves making satisfied customers. Congrats Jim! And excellent job on your custom made caisson too. Happy tooling around town on your new Juiced Rider. Are you going to give it a nick name?

I think he does have a heart of gold. My battery had a problem and he replaced it. :)

I see the new charger on the JR website and am thinking that would be a good investment. But I don't see the passenger seats... does anyone know if those will those be posted soon?

I see the new charger on the JR website and am thinking that would be a good investment. But I don't see the passenger seats... does anyone know if those will those be posted soon?
Yeah, Tora said he just got the new child seats and hadn't had the time to post them. And I will be posting a few updates on my experience riding the bike. My girlfriend, who had her mind set on a different style of e-bike, is now kind of interested in mine. She thinks it looks cute. That's not exactly the description I would give it. I prefer rugged and utilitarian. (Maybe I should have gotten the black one.)

Now that I’ve had the ODK for a full three days, I’ve started thinking about some security issues, and hope that Juiced Riders will consider them for possible inclusion on future versions of e-bikes they produce.

The ODK is such an expensive investment that I would rarely park it in one of those public bike racks around town. And unless the bike rack is somewhere near the entrance of an establishment in a location where it can be seen by lots of people, or unless the business allows me to take it inside and secure it, I’d rather drive my car.

I purchased one of those Kryptonite “Fahgettaboudit” u-locks with a five-foot Kryptonite cable. I can pretty much secure the bike frame to any solid object in a way that deters most potential thieves. The battery, however, is left to fend for itself with nothing more than a few screws between it and a crook with a hex wrench.
IMG_20151014_160953473.jpg

There should be a way to mechanically secure the battery to the bike, like a simple lock and key system--something that provides a level of security above and beyond the four hex-screws that currently secure it. If I had any welding skills, I’m sure I could fabricate a locking latch of some kind that spanned the opening at the end of the rear rack (where the battery slides out)--something that was reinforced enough to make nipping it with a pair of bolt cutters an effort in futility.

Additionally, I think the battery should require a four-digit PIN to access power. That way, even if a bad guy could somehow neutralize the mechanical security system and remove the battery from the frame, it wouldn’t be of any use to them unless they tore the case open and removed the individual battery cells. But I think a thief whose intentions were that specialized would be rare.

Maybe the PIN access feature is a little too much to be asking for in an e-bike. Perhaps the technology required to do this would add a little too much to the bike’s final price. But when you think about the replacement cost of a 48V, 32 Ah battery, the additional cost of electronics needed to make a system like this work might not be such a bad idea. I don’t know. What do you folks think?

Last edited:
Now that I’ve had the ODK for a full three days, I’ve started thinking about some security issues, and hope that Juiced Riders will consider them for possible inclusion on future versions of e-bikes they produce.

The ODK is such an expensive investment that I would rarely park it in one of those public bike racks around town. And unless the bike rack is somewhere near the entrance of an establishment in a location where it can be seen by lots of people, or unless the business allows me to take it inside and secure it, I’d rather drive my car. What do you folks think?

Hi Jim.... I have certainly enjoyed reading about your ODK experience as the bike is at the top of my consideration list. Re your thoughts on security, I agree 100% that as e-bikes continue to catch on -- thieves will target the batteries.

I can appreciate the thought that went into the pin code idea as further protection but believe that a solution starts with an easy to remove and carry battery. As you noted it can currently be removed with a simple tool and I'm not sure any latch or lock would not be just as easily defeated. Tora designed a really nice bike with modular simplicity and good specs all around....except for the "stays onboard battery" concept. Where I live, it gets cold 5 months out of the year and that's not good for the battery life. I'm holding out for a battery that can be easily removed for both charging and security. I noticed Bionx added a nice retractable handle to their batteries for easy carrying and would like to see something similar for any e-bike

Looking forward to your further updates. Ride-on safely and with great gusto!

Back