This bike looks strikingly like the Voltbike Mariner and it's cheaper

subzero

Has anyone heard of this bike?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det....html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.17.bnVvmA&s=p

I can't seem to find reviews anywhere.

What I like about it:
-much cheaper than the Mariner
-fat tire bike (just like the Mariner), both use 20" Kenda tyre
-foldable, just like the Mariner
-both use Bafang motor
-both use Tektro disc brakes
-both have 6061 aluminum alloy frame
-it has front/rear fenders

What I don't like:
-it ships from China
-smaller ah battery than the Mariner at 10.3 ah
-based on the photos, the front fender looks tinier than the Mariner's

Last edited:
Chinese clones (of most everything) shouldn't be a surprise to anybody these days. They come and go, nameless and countless like grains of sand, - hence no reviews.

Don't get fooled by "Canadian" or "US" companies though. It's all shipped from China. Components and QC can be the same, or "similar", or unknown.

Shh... Peace, brother :)... As much as I like this website for reviews, the forum has a significant presence of manufactures and dealers.

Nearly all ebikes by US and Canadian manufacturers are made in China. There are few locally made but those are exceptions.
Of those US and CAN ebikes made in China, most are equipped with the same motor and controller as Chinese clones sold at Alibaba. (Battery can be the same or not, many clones use lower quality off-brand cells).

This leaves us with the frame and non-electrical parts like brakes, derailleur etc.
Frame can be designed in the US or CAN, or in China following the instructions of the US/CAN company, but the chances are, it's still made in China.
Non-e parts are the same as in any non-e bike store, can be brand or offbrand, US/CAN companies are more likely to use brand parts, Alibaba bikes can put on anything.

And, where would you place a small US/CAN company owner or engineer (often the same person), who is Chinese or Philippine in the 1st generation, speaking their language and living there half the time (because you have to be there at the factory to make sure the work is done properly). As long as they are reliable, the company aims at long-term position, and prices are not outrageous, - fine with me. (I don't actually know anything about Voltbike top guy, but there are several other examples of what I said).

Last edited:
intriguing...

How much for shipping? :eek:
I think this isn't the most important detail. $200-250, but 'baba isn't set up for retail sales, I would try and locate a similar product on Aliexpress instead, for a couple hundred bucks more.

What is important is that you're getting unusable warranty and zero support when buying from these sources.
I know people who were trying to buy "in the middle", low-end $700-900 bikes from Upzy, Walmart etc. Sea freight from China is a byatch. When it arrives scratched, bent rims, flat tires - you're on your own. With Walmart you can still return it free, but time and frustration are immeasurable. With 'baba or 'express - nada.
If somebody is on a really tight budget, values his time less than his money, and have patience to deal with unexpected - then maybe.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Alibaba, I've never bought anything from them. But, just from visiting their site they have something called "Trade Assurance" which is sort of like buyer protection or escrow. Basically, you receive your product and if it doesn't live up to your standards then file a claim and you get your money back, at least that's how I'm understanding it? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The other thing I noticed is that you have to order a minimum quantity from sellers on Alibaba. Luckily, a lot of the ebikes sellers have set that minimum to one.

Update: So I contacted the seller on alibaba and asked them about shipping costs, whether the bike will be fully assembled upon arrival (which, is one of Voltbike's other perks), and here is what she said:

"It's really glad to hear from you :)

For the shipping costs and time, I need to contact our shipping angent and give you reply tomorrow. The ebike is going with front wheel unassembled, but it's easy to assemble by yourself, and we will be here to help you until the ebike can work ."

She also provided her whatsApp contact info, which, I think is really cool. For those who don't know, WhatsApp is an instant messaging app. It allows you to instantly send a message to someone, see whether or not they read it (unless they change their privacy settings), see whether or not they are typing a reply at the moment, and it's generally much faster than email. Other than whatsapp, you can also contact them 24 hours a day on Skype chat.

If the price of shipping is not too bad, I may just buy an ebike from Alibaba.

On a side note, I also noticed that this same seller sells ebikes with, not only one, but TWO motors. A front and rear motor, fat tire, foldable ebike.

Here is the link: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...33994.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.1.xrjBIT

According to the listing, the main advantage of two motors, is that you can more easily handle hills. Both of the motors are 500 W

Last edited:
Never dealt with 'baba.
'express - a retail branch of the same group of companies - offer an assurance that I didn't find practical.

I've got an update for you guys, the total bottom line cost if I were to get an ebike from alibaba.. including shipping via sea, port fees, AMS file information (whatever that is?), and the price of the ebike is a whopping $921..your mileage may vary of course, depending on your location.

It will take approximately 25 days to arrive to the port.

So, it's not as cheap as I thought it would be to procure this ebike from alibaba. I may just get the Mariner from Voltbike.

I will say this though, the person who helped me figure out the bottom line cost on alibaba was quite helpful. She contacted me on whatsapp and followed up with my shipping cost request without me reminding her to contact me. And, she responded to all of my questions in quite a timely manner.

Of course she followed up with your shipping cost request - they want to sell :)

Alibaba is not set up for retail, don't know how many times it needs to be said.
On Aliexpress you will find 20" folding bikes @$600-800, and $220 shipping.
All usual caveats re-warranty, returns etc - still apply.
In the end, paying $800+200=$1,000 for something unknown, vs $1,200 for more reputable US/CAN source - seems that savings are not worth the trouble.

I know that Alibaba is not set up for retail, however, I have read reports online of people still being able to buy items from alibaba even if they are not a business.

https://www.quora.com/Do-I-need-to-form-a-company-to-buy-products-on-Alibaba

Having said that, I have no intention of buying an ebike from Alibaba because they will give me a sample and there are many unknown variables involved; I'm simply doing some research and sharing whatever knowledge I find to anyone who may or may not find it useful.

Buying separate parts from Alibaba - maybe. When you can't find it at reasonable price (or at all) from another source.

Back