Thinking strongly about ordering the CCX

Wow! That's a $300 full-face helmet. I've cycled for years with $80 Giro helmets. Often I can (could) average 20+ mph with downhills over 40mph+. Wearing kit attire. My helmet did save me when hit by a car as it hit the curb - and HARD. My first thought was "I'd be dead without this thing" and still probably was concussed. I never ride without it. I can see falling into a false sense of security riding along at 25mph on the road. To hit that speed on my road bike I would need a slight downhill, tailwind and be spinning my legs off in top gear and I would be well aware that I was really moving.

Road bike helmets can be dangerous. The multiplicity of vents tends to concentrate point loads. You might have been dead without your road helmet, but you might have been less dead with a multisport helmet

Reactions: jom
@Timpo Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough. Look to the link I had attached with the California law that literally defines what is a legal ebike. The definition is not dependent on the max speed of the bike but rather the motor. If your bike is electrically powered with a motor that is not more than 750 watts, it’s a legal ebike. If the ebike has a motor above that, like the HF1100 and the Hyper Scrambler with their 1000 watt motors, it is not considered an ebike and thus the reason they advertise that it is for non-public use.

What you see Tora doing on the video is demonstrating that the CCX is capable of being used on non-public roads (he's demonstrating this in China I have no idea what the law is there) with the motor assisting you beyond 28mph, but it obviously requires the rider to assist at maximum level too (Tora is an Olympian) and can never really sustained a speed over 34 mph from my recollection. If the rider were to use it in this manner on a CA bike path, the rider would be ticketed, but the bike manufacturer would not be in violation of any law (the officer would have to prove the motor was assisting the rider beyond 28 mph, independent of the speed the bike was traveling). If the rider were to be involved in an accident using it in this manner, the rider would be directly liable for any injury caused. The rider could cross claim Juiced and any other victim injured in the accident could do the same as well, but more likely than not any claims against Juiced would be vitiated by the rider's conduct in operating the bicycle in such a negligent manner.

The Hyper lines are advertised for non public roads. These bikes are not ebikes. Most likely they fall within the moped laws although they don't fit the definition. I would assume a judge would conclude, due to how fast it goes just with the throttle alone, that it would qualify as such and require an M1 or M2 license and one time registration and cannot be used on bike paths or sidewalks like a bike.

Bottom line the CCX is a legal ebike.

I just saw this thread and found it interesting. Im in the market for an Ebike and I'm thinking about getting the juiced ccx ...However Im in Calif and I will want to use the bike on bike paths which are designated for class 2 bikes. I have spoken (via email) with Juiced. I remember seeing something on their website saying the bike is shipped as a class 2 but can be then programmed to be a class 3. I have a followup question after their response listed here "Thank you for reaching out! The Crosscurrent is labeled as class 2 as this is how the bike comes limited and then you the user may raise the limitation through the LCD. All of our models can be used either pedal assist or throttle alone. " So my next question was to verify specifically if Calif recognizes it as a class 2 and if anyone knows if the sticker on the bike is class 2 or 3 ... thanks

I just got my CCX yesterday. I am still getting it sorted as I got it late last night. I will post my impressions but a few things bug me. (former CCS owner). I'll reserve judgement until i get it dialed in, then report back.

Andy

I just saw this thread and found it interesting. Im in the market for an Ebike and I'm thinking about getting the juiced ccx ...However Im in Calif and I will want to use the bike on bike paths which are designated for class 2 bikes. I have spoken (via email) with Juiced. I remember seeing something on their website saying the bike is shipped as a class 2 but can be then programmed to be a class 3. I have a followup question after their response listed here "Thank you for reaching out! The Crosscurrent is labeled as class 2 as this is how the bike comes limited and then you the user may raise the limitation through the LCD. All of our models can be used either pedal assist or throttle alone. " So my next question was to verify specifically if Calif recognizes it as a class 2 and if anyone knows if the sticker on the bike is class 2 or 3 ... thanks

It comes with a class 2 sticker. There is a class 3 sticker under it.

has anyone had issues with the settings to get the CCX class 3? In a quick test ride last night it was not going above 20 (assist was cutting out).

I just got my CCX yesterday. I am still getting it sorted as I got it late last night. I will post my impressions but a few things bug me. (former CCS owner). I'll reserve judgement until i get it dialed in, then report back.

Andy
Andy please keep us updated ...Juiced released their new CCS today I just ordered it

Perhaps you need to change the chain sooner?. My experience is that when wait too long on a chain change, the elongated chain wrecks the cassette and chainrings. That being said, I replace everything every other chain.

Pardon me if your aware of this, just wanted to mention it.

On my acoustic MTB, I change the chain every season which is probably 1500 miles. On my mid-drive MTB ebike, I plan on 1000 miles. Ideally you change the chain when it stretches too much but my use has encompassed 20 years and has been consistent so the miles ridden works good enough

I agree on the CCX being a great commuter(possibly the best for the price), my mid-drive MTB ebike is used more for hilly offroad than commuting although I do run it on alot of hilly bike paths. If I was to buy a bike for commuting, the CCX would be the first on the list although I would drop the chainring down to a 42T due to all the hills where I live. I keep on trying to convince myself I need one:)

That's a good point, the drive train wear does get a lot worse with a stretched chain. I'm pretty diligent about keeping up with maintenance as my bike is my car replacement and I'm usually checking the chain length at least once a month.

An interesting data point is that my friend who has the same Bosch powered Haibike Trekking S, but just a few years newer with the 11-speed system instead of 10-speed is at about 5000 miles on the original chain. He rides the same route all in Turbo mode. I just did a big maintenance on his bike and I think he could get about another 1000 miles from his chain. It wasn't even well maintained or cleaned since new.

An interesting data point is that my friend who has the same Bosch powered Haibike Trekking S, but just a few years newer with the 11-speed system instead of 10-speed is at about 5000 miles on the original chain. He rides the same route all in Turbo mode. I just did a big maintenance on his bike and I think he could get about another 1000 miles from his chain. It wasn't even well maintained or cleaned since new.
man I wish I have the bosch speed and mostly ride in turbo and its 10 spweed. I got about 1200 miles out of the first chain. I clained and lubed it every week though lots of rain in that time.

I received my CCX in December 2018. The bike has been a flawless commuter!
1583861047176.png

Attachments

• 100_3506.JPG
    100_3506.JPG
    842.7 KB · Views: 427
Interesting, Nice saddle by the way.
That's a Brooks B-17 special edition. After about 22,000 miles the rails snapped back in the Fall of 2018. It is now on its second set of rails -with more than 24,000 miles of use. That honey brown leather loves an occasional dose of coconut oil.
Here are a couple of images photographed before I sent it in to get repaired.

Attachments

• 100_3436.JPG
    100_3436.JPG
    370.3 KB · Views: 421
  • 100_3434.JPG
    100_3434.JPG
    364.3 KB · Views: 362
Last edited:
Back