Thinking about the HSD S11. Any owners with feedback?

pmags

Region
USA
I've recently gotten my first ebike, and now I'm trying to convince my wife that we should get a 2nd bike that she can ride or that we can both use as a grocery getter and commuter (~6 mile commute each way; moderately hilly).

The Tern's fit the bill as they can be adjusted for a wide range of rider heights (she's 5 ft, I'm 6 ft) and are well equipped for hauling modest loads. The S11 is my preference relative to other Tern's in the linup as my other bike is a class 3 and I'd like us to be able to keep at least approximate pace with each other if biking together. We got a chance to test ride an HSD S11 this afternoon and both enjoyed it. I know the S11 is a pretty new model, but I'm wondering if anyone here owns one and has any feedback to share yet, or issues to watch out for?

I'm also in the market for a HSD S11. I just got to get over to the local Tern authorized dealer and see how motivated they are to order one for me. Tern makes a very reliable and quality product, I was just concerned with backing and support if needed. I have it figured out now.

After dealing with the local Tern dealer I'm passing. The shop treats ebikes like crap and tried to sell me a road bike instead. Whatever. And the REI Co-Op is getting sketchy as well. I sense them closing the servicing dealer soon. Fun to dream though.

I'm a long time REI member, and they're
After dealing with the local Tern dealer I'm passing. The shop treats ebikes like crap and tried to sell me a road bike instead. Whatever. And the REI Co-Op is getting sketchy as well. I sense them closing the servicing dealer soon. Fun to dream though.
As a long time REI member I'm curious about your "sketchy" experience there. I've had nothing but good experiences in my 25+ years of buying outdoor gear there.

Every time I go into the REI Co-Op its never the same bicycle mechanics. They (REI) by me have a very high turnover in the bicycle section. If I spend more than $2000 on an ebike locally I expect local support as well. None of the sales people on the floor knew anything about the older/last years model Tern S10 on the floor. Didn't even know where the battery was for it! If I was buying a tent or hiking shoes that would be different, but I don't want to have to wrench on my own bike if I don't have to, and I don't have the Tern proprietary access to service the Bosch motor system if needed. The other Tern dealership who hates ebikes has had the same staff for the last 10 years at least, if not longer.

That gripe being said, I still might go and look at a S8i this coming weekend. There is a pinball arcade in the same area so that's a motivating factor to drive out to look at the S8i. It's a Tern with a very good reputation for quality so I still might take a chance on it. Class 3 sounds nice but in reality its not my main criteria for purchasing. Just want a more premium ebike that encourages me to pedal more.

I am close to pulling the trigger. The only thing that is holding me back is wondering what 2022 may bring. The "sport" motor proved support up to 28 MPH, but there is a definite taper in assist. So unlike the 20 MPH versions, you don't hit a brick wall at 20, speeding along at 25 MPH does take some considerable effort vs some of the other Class 3 bikes out there. I am wondering if 2022 might bring us a "speed" variant in the S11, or a class 3 version with a belt - which would be my perfect bike.

I bought my Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon 3 from REI. With every bike sale they include free adjustments for one year. Two of the bike service techs have been working at at our local REI for a combined 15 years. They are super knowledgeable and helpful at every state. When I bought the bike I had a 2021 Nyon kit, different tires to be installed tubeless and a different handlebar that I preferred. They charged no labor for this work, charging me for rim tape, valve and sealant only. For every tweak and adjustment they have provided either same day service or an appointment within three days for longer projects and no charge to date. My experience here in with the REI in Bellingham has been outstanding, every bit as good as with our local Trek store which is also excellent.

It is evident that there are large differences between REI locations. Generalizations based on local experience are just not valid. Each one should be judged based on its own merits or deficiencies.

I went into REI to ask about a test ride for a 2019 GSD S10 they have. The test ride policy is great so I'm going this Saturday. I also asked why there is a high turn over and got this response. Even though Covid is still around most manufacturers are starting up factory raining again, and some of the REI stores are also doing in-house training for bicycle mechanics.

Funny side note. While I was waiting to ask my test ride question a lady was looking at a REI Co-Op branded ebike. I started talking to the lady and next thing I know I was explaining everything about the ebike. I basically helped make the sale! Weird. The sales staff were shocked I knew so much about ebikes as they were all still kinda green on the newer models.

Back