Thinking About Buying A Folding E-Bike (Or E-Trike)

It sounds like the magnet for holding the Fold X in fold position was not a good idea. Many are talking about a strap clamp will be mandatory.

I have yet to try it, but I had the thought that if the bike has a good kickstand, then I might be able to put my right hand on the seat, then grab my right knee or shin with my left hand, to help lift my right leg over the main tube. I think I could get over a tube 18" in height.
On these folders the height of the top tube is about 25-26". And they weigh ~60 lbs if you have to lay it down and lift. Be careful with your back.

Yes, in Class B you'll have a hard time storing any rigid bike. Truck camper with cabover would be slightly roomier (and cheaper if you already have a truck). Not much roomier.

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll also have to remember to fold the Rad Mini, and try to pick it up when I test it out. Does anybody know if the Fold X has the "auto-walk up the stairs mode" that the Rad Mini has?

I was going to go for a truck and truck camper, but it seems so much more expensive than an older class B van. And I think the roomier ones are the ones with the slide-outs that I'd want to avoid. I think it would be better if I owned a commuter vehicle and a camper van.

Thanks, I made a post at Radpower's Facebook page.

I have yet to try it, but I had the thought that if the bike has a good kickstand, then I might be able to put my right hand on the seat, then grab my right knee or shin with my left hand, to help lift my right leg over the main tube. I think I could get over a tube 18" in height.

It looks like that little tube on the Big Cat is about 14 or 15" above the ground. I'll email them and ask. And I'll ask somebody at the Sondors Facebook group about the Fold X's main tube height, and lowest seat height.

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try before buying. I did ride my roommate's cheap Chinese scooter the other day though. It was more nerve-wracking than I would have liked, but it was wonky, wouldn't start properly, and had what seemed like really bad torque. That coupled with the fact that the Fold X is 50 pounds makes me feel like being able to ride an e-bike is promising. Regardless, I should be able to try at least the Rad Mini soon.

I forgot to mention, I'm considering buying an RV like a class B camper van. So for that reason, I think it would be better if I could store the bike inside the RV. A folder should make that a lot easier.

I have some back problems and have been considering the Rad Mini or the low step over version of the Magnum Premium. I think the Magnum has a 10 or 12 inch step over. EBR did a video of it. It has fork suspension and seat post too.

Can anyone say anything about the Magnum vs the others?

I drove a Class B (Travato) around the country with a Trek Conduit on the back but now want more than just pedal assist.

Tomorrow I'll be going to Seattle to check out the bikes. I personally haven't heard of the Magnum e-bike.

I realized it'll cost around $750/year in registration and insurance costs for a class B camper van, so I'm back to the idea of a truck and truck camper. I don't want to pay those costs for 2 vehicles every year. I think I should be able to get a good setup for under $10,000.

Today I was able to try the Rad Mini, and a step-through Electra. It's not safe for me to ride a bike, at least for now. I am thinking about getting a scooter that I can go off-road with, for traveling with a truck camper though. Any thoughts on what would be good for that? Something like a scooter version of a Rad Mini might be cool.

I was able to try a Catrike Trail, non-electric version. For working out my legs, I'm strongly leaning towards getting something like the Sun Seeker Fat Tad e-trike: https://electricbikereview.com/sun-seeker/fat-tad-electric-trike/

I want the fat tires for off-roading, so is this the e-trike to get? Or are there competitors?

If I want it, should I get it from here: https://www.electrictrike.com/colle...s/products/fat-tad-cxs-tadpole-electric-trike

Or should I buy a battery and motor kit elsewhere, and do a custom electric conversion?

Ideally I'd like to find a used one in excellent condition to save money. Any ideas on where these might pop up for sale? I'll ask at the Bent Rider Online forums as well.

Thanks.

Question to anyone with experience in either the Sondos X or the Rad Mini... If their seat post and handles are lowered... How young can a kid be, to ride either? Any guesstimates? Thanks for any insights

View attachment 17871

I'd go for the X. Yes, the warranty is shite but Sondors bike are easy to work on anyway and they mod super easy! I have had a couple for 1.5 years and never had issues with any major components. Sondors will have tons more aftermarket parts and upgrades down the road you just won't get with the mini.

Hey jazz, it seems you also have young kids, and I am assessing for mine how old they have to be to ride a Sondors X. Any insights? Thanks for any tips

Thanks for the help.

Are the only smaller folding e-bike options the Rad Mini, Sondors Fold, and VoltBike Mariner?

I started looking at EBikes a couple weeks ago when I was reading about the sondors car and then about the sondors electric bike. I've never had an e-bike or ridden one, but I thought about it quite a lot. I watch several videos and reviews of the various bikes. Then I saw this one video comparing the Sondors with the Radrover, I think it is.

I finally ended up buying a RadMini because it seemed to be a much better quality bike and for not much more money. And I can Fold It Up for traveling without needing a bike rack. I only ride in town on pavement and paved bike trails. No beaches, no forests, no mud, just regular streets. So I'm hoping this bike will work OK In town since everybody seems to push the fat tires for trail riding, except me. Have another regular bike, I bought four years ago and I've only ridden about 5 times. Just not motivated to ride it . I think the rad mini will be a lot more fun and I'll get out with it more often .

Watch this comparison video before you make a purchase. Then see what fits you better. I'll ride my rad Mini a while and post on it later.

Last edited:
Back